Differentiating between popular and upcoming stories in 2.0?

Ben Scholler

Oct 4, 2010, 2:36:08 PM10/4/10
to Digg API
Is there a way to pull back only popular or only upcoming stories in
2.0? Currently, to get X number of popular or upcoming stories, you do
a search with the search.search method and have to retrieve more than
necessary to make sure there's enough to fill the respective bin by
looking at the status attribute of the story objects. In 1.0, there
were 2 methods to accomplish this. story.getUpcoming and
story.getPopular.

Jeff Hodsdon

Oct 7, 2010, 4:56:13 PM10/7/10
to dig...@googlegroups.com
Hey Ben,

You may get stories from Top News and stories for Upcoming via these
two methods:

http://developers.digg.com/story-gettopnews
http://developers.digg.com/version1/story-getupcoming

-jeff

Ben Scholler

Oct 7, 2010, 6:13:02 PM10/7/10
to Digg API
Is domain a valid argument to pass to story.getTopNews? Also, the link
for getUpcoming was a link to the 1.0 API. My question pertains to 2.0
exclusively since thumbnails are broken in the 1.0 API. :)

Ben

On Oct 7, 1:56 pm, Jeff Hodsdon <j...@digg.com> wrote:
> Hey Ben,
>
> You may get stories from Top News and stories for Upcoming via these
> two methods:
>
> http://developers.digg.com/story-gettopnewshttp://developers.digg.com/version1/story-getupcoming
>
> -jeff

clichekiller

Nov 23, 2010, 1:54:47 PM11/23/10
to Digg API
I too don't see any way to accomplish this in 2.0 without pulling back
significantly more data then I need.

On Oct 7, 3:13 pm, Ben Scholler <ben.schol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is domain a valid argument to pass to story.getTopNews? Also, the link
> for getUpcoming was a link to the 1.0 API. My question pertains to 2.0
> exclusively since thumbnails are broken in the 1.0 API. :)
>
> Ben
>
> On Oct 7, 1:56 pm, Jeff Hodsdon <j...@digg.com> wrote:
>

> > Hey Ben,
>
> > You may get stories from Top News and stories for Upcoming via these
> > two methods:
>
> >http://developers.digg.com/story-gettopnewshttp://developers.digg.com...
>
> > -jeff
>
> > On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Ben Scholler <ben.schol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Is there a way to pull back only popular or only upcoming stories in
> > > 2.0? Currently, to get X number of popular or upcoming stories, you do
> > > a search with the search.search method and have to retrieve more than
> > > necessary to make sure there's enough to fill the respective bin by
> > > looking at thestatusattribute of the story objects. In 1.0, there

Will

Nov 23, 2010, 3:23:46 PM11/23/10
to Digg API
The 2.0 apis which return stories now return the value "status" for
each story which is either "top" or "upcoming", which I think
satisfies your requirement. The Streaming API ( http://services.digg.com/2.0/stream
) returns the status as well, if you're using that approach for
pulling down Digg stories.

Domain is not a valid parameter for story.*, but is a valid parameter
for search.search, which can often accomplish similar goals (
http://services.digg.com/2.0/search.search?domain=abcnews.com ).

Thanks,
Will

clichekiller

Nov 23, 2010, 3:54:59 PM11/23/10
to Digg API
So the answer is no, there is no straightforward way of requesting
just "top" or "upcoming"; I have to pull back significantly more data
then I need just to be able to build a list of 20 "top" or 20
"upcoming" stories.

On Nov 23, 1:23 pm, Will <wlar...@digg.com> wrote:
> The 2.0 apis which return stories now return the value "status" for
> each story which is either "top" or "upcoming", which I think
> satisfies your requirement. The Streaming API (http://services.digg.com/2.0/stream

Will

Nov 23, 2010, 4:16:52 PM11/23/10
to Digg API
Hi Clichekiller,

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. At the moment it is possible to
get the top stories via http://services.digg.com/2.0/story.getTopNews
, but there isn't a comparable API for retrieving upcoming. This will
be a straightforward fix which we'll try to get taken care of in the
next several days.

Thanks,
Will

Will

Nov 27, 2010, 12:29:23 PM11/27/10
to Digg API
There is now a /2.0/story.getUpcomingNews endpoint which takes the
same parameters as the /2.0/story.getTopNews endpoint. I'll update the
documentation on Monday to reflect this new endpoint. It's currently
being deployed to services.digg.com, so it may take up to an hour for
all machines to have the newest code.

Thanks,
Will