Rate limit and error 1068

bizz

Dec 7, 2010, 1:31:40 PM12/7/10
to Digg API
Hi,

I'm using the v1.0 search.stories method, and I'm getting the error
code 1068.
I've looked at the rate limit information on the request for which I
got this error and here they are:

It seems that I didn't pass the rate limit but I still get the error.

any idea why?
Thanks

Will

Dec 8, 2010, 1:23:00 AM12/8/10
to Digg API
Hi Bizz,

It looks like some pieces of the API are returning the ratelimit error
when they reach the one second timeout. I'll take a deeper look on
this tomorrow and figure out a resolution so that search.search
doesn't consistently reach the timeout as well as fixing the error
message.

Thanks,
Will

bizz

Dec 8, 2010, 2:59:06 AM12/8/10
to Digg API
Hi Will,

I appreciate the effort.
What is the one second timeout? I'm not familiar with it.

Thanks for the quick response

Will

Dec 8, 2010, 11:46:51 AM12/8/10
to Digg API
Hi Bizz,

The error message is resolved, and the fix is currently being pushed
out. You should stop seeing the incorrect error message within the
next two hours.

The one second timeout is a mechanism we use to limit the impact of
(unintentional or malicious) high load queries on our backend. We
recently made some major relevancy improvements in the queries we're
passing to SOLR, but this has caused the performance to degrade. In
the very very short term, generally the caching mechanisms mean that
the second time a query is sent it will return more quickly, beating
the one second timeout.

In the slightly less short-term (later today), we'll look at extending
the timeout for the search.search endpoint to reduce the frequency
that it reaches the 1 second maximum.

Thanks!
Will

bizz

Dec 8, 2010, 2:56:36 PM12/8/10
to Digg API
Thank you very much Will,

I'll be waiting to hear more updates on this matter.
Have a nice day

Will

Dec 8, 2010, 5:49:12 PM12/8/10
to Digg API
We've pushed it up to 2 seconds, but I am still seeing some timeouts.
I'll keep looking into this and will probably end up increasing the
timeout to ~5 seconds.

Thanks,
Will