Query String Search

Jerry James Stone

Dec 9, 2010, 11:17:20 AM12/9/10
to dig...@googlegroups.com
Hi there

The tracking tool I am creating, trak.ly, is hitting a snag right now based on URL lookup. For example, when the URL of a blog post is this:

http://www.ranker.com/list/the-5-greatest-drugs-banned-in-2010/beau-iverson

But this is the URL that was submitted to Digg:

http://www.ranker.com/list/the-5-greatest-drugs-banned-in-2010/beau-iverson?sms_ss=digg&at_xt=4cfff4909a23ca07%2C0

How our tracking tool works is you either enter in an originating URL or we look up stories based on your RSS feed. Will query string info like this being tacked on and included in the Digg submission, how do we find these stories. Because tools like Google Reader add all kinds of crap to the URL.

Thanks!
Jerry

Failed Pics

Dec 9, 2010, 2:24:40 PM12/9/10
to Digg API
Jerry - one way to do this is to track and save a list of query string
parameters added GReader - for example in future you could eliminate
the following parameters -

sms_ss=digg
at_xt=4cfff4909a23ca07%2C0

if you are certain that these were added by GReader and so on ....

Just my 2 cents.

On Dec 9, 9:17 pm, Jerry James Stone <m...@jerryjamesstone.com> wrote:
> Hi there
>
> The tracking tool I am creating, trak.ly, is hitting a snag right now based
> on URL lookup. For example, when the URL of a blog post is this:
>
> http://www.ranker.com/list/the-5-greatest-drugs-banned-in-2010/beau-i...
>
> But this is the URL that was submitted to Digg:
>
> http://www.ranker.com/list/the-5-greatest-drugs-banned-in-2010/beau-i...

Jerry James Stone

Dec 9, 2010, 2:31:14 PM12/9/10
to dig...@googlegroups.com
But not all of these parameters are from GReader, that is the problem. I think we need a way to query with a url but use a wild card on the end if query string parameters to exist.

Jerry

Failed Pics

Dec 9, 2010, 2:42:16 PM12/9/10
to Digg API
Jerry - I have posted your question on GReader group
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/reader/thread?tid=3902d3374a354a83&hl=en

Hope someone would reply.

On Dec 10, 12:31 am, Jerry James Stone <m...@jerryjamesstone.com>
wrote:
> But not all of these parameters are from GReader, that is the problem. I
> think we need a way to query with a url but use a wild card on the end if
> query string parameters to exist.
>
> Jerry
>
> > diggapi+u...@googlegroups.com<diggapi%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .

Jerry James Stone

Dec 9, 2010, 2:43:48 PM12/9/10
to dig...@googlegroups.com
But this isn't a GReader issue, I need this for any URL that tacks on query string info...that was just an example

Will

Dec 9, 2010, 5:20:10 PM12/9/10
to Digg API
Hi Jerry,

This specific story you've picked reveals a bug in the way Digg was
story URLs for lookup. We should be using the canonical URL (which in
this specific story and in much--but not all--well constructed HTML)
from the "link rel='canonical'" tag for the URL we store. At the
moment we're only using that tag for crawling purposes but not for the
URL lookup. This will solve a swath of the problems (pages with the
canonical tag), but won't universally solve the problem (it's hard to
know which URI parameters are meaningful and which are irrelevant).

Do you have a feel on whether the majority of your users to be using
the canonical tag?

Thanks,
Will

On Dec 9, 11:43 am, Jerry James Stone <m...@jerryjamesstone.com>
wrote:
> But this isn't a GReader issue, I need this for any URL that tacks on query
> string info...that was just an example
>

> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 11:42 AM, Failed Pics <failep...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Jerry - I have posted your question on GReader group
>
> >http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/reader/thread?tid=3902d3374a354...

Jerry James Stone

Dec 11, 2010, 10:33:02 AM12/11/10
to dig...@googlegroups.com
Hey Will

At the moment I do not know this. We are in private alpha so our data set is pretty limited. Thanks for the feedback!

Jerry