unwilled fixing of the scale factor parameter

alberto martinelli

Apr 17, 2024, 6:10:56 AMApr 17
to diffpy-users
Dear all,
I'm using PDFgui 2.0.4. In some cases, I see that at the end of the fitting the scale factor parameter results fixed, despite the fact that it was initially a free parameter. I guess that this occurs when its variation is very faint, but it is quite disturbing to me because I don't have proof.  Has anyone experienced the same thing?

Simon Billinge

May 11, 2024, 3:33:29 PMMay 11
to diffpy...@googlegroups.com
yes this is quite common.   You need to nudge it to a different value and let the refinement engine move it to get it to move back.

On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 6:11 AM alberto martinelli <alberto.m....@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear all,
I'm using PDFgui 2.0.4. In some cases, I see that at the end of the fitting the scale factor parameter results fixed, despite the fact that it was initially a free parameter. I guess that this occurs when its variation is very faint, but it is quite disturbing to me because I don't have proof.  Has anyone experienced the same thing?

Simon Billinge
Professor,
Department of Applied Physics and Applied Mathematics
Columbia University