about plotting the Gcalc

Anwesa Samanta

Aug 18, 2022, 4:12:36 PM8/18/22
to diffpy-users
Hi all,

I am very new to using PDFgui, and whenever I am trying to fit a PDF data, the Gcalc in the plot comes out to be a flat red line as seen in the attached plot. Can anyone let me know about the plausible reasons behind this and anything I should keep in mind while preparing the phase file.

PDF image.jpeg

Zhihengyu Chen

Aug 18, 2022, 4:26:47 PM8/18/22
to diffpy...@googlegroups.com
You may fix the scale factor as 1 before starting your structure refinement, to check if it is the right phase to fit the data.

On Thu, Aug 18, 2022 at 16:12 Anwesa Samanta <asam...@uic.edu> wrote:
Hi all,

I am very new to using PDFgui, and whenever I am trying to fit a PDF data, the Gcalc in the plot comes out to be a flat red line as seen in the attached plot. Can anyone let me know about the plausible reasons behind this and anything I should keep in mind while preparing the phase file.

Zhihengyu (Woodrow) Chen
---------------------------------------
PhD Candidate
Chapman Group
Department of Chemistry
Stony Brook University
---------------------------------------

Yu Wang

Aug 25, 2022, 4:42:48 AM8/25/22
to diffpy-users
Hi Anwesa,
It is likely the structure file incorrect.
1. try to redo it, only refine scale factors and unit cell. you should be able to get a certain fit Rw 50-70. it would say you can go ahead; Otherwise, you need to check structure file.
2. Normally I did is to do phase identification in a XRD software You may not get a good confident result because of nano, distortion, but at least you could get a few candidates, which matched with unit cell. start PDFgui with these files.
good luck.

Yu Wang
XRD Laboratory,
University of New South Wales,