DVH algorithm

umcg...@gmail.com

Mar 6, 2018, 9:20:20 AM3/6/18
to dicompyler
hi Aditya,

greetings from the Netherlands.
Very nice that your software provides DVH calculations. We are in the process comparing your calculations with DVH calculation methods from other platforms, to see if every method yields similar results.
I am wondering what algorithm you use to calculate the DVHs. Did you invent yourself and/or do you have a reference to the algorithm (besides the source code itself)?

I tried to download your paper:
  • A Panchal and R Keyes. "SU-GG-T-260: dicompyler: An Open Source Radiation Therapy Research Platform with a Plugin Architecture" Med. Phys. 37, 3245, 2010

However, although our university/hospital has a license to the journal, I am only able to see an abstract.
Could you send me a version or a link to your paper?

cheers,
Gert Sikkema

Aditya Panchal

Mar 7, 2018, 12:19:47 PM3/7/18
to dicom...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gert,

Thanks for the kind words. There is no reference for the DVH calculation algorithm, but an abstract was submitted for this year's AAPM meeting with the relevant work. It was not included in the poster from the 2010 abstract as it pre-dates the DVH calculation algorithm implementation.

The algorithm was developed specifically for dicompyler. Essentially, the algorithm is to voxelize the structures to the dose grid resolution into a boolean grid, then use a binary mask with the dose grid and finally calculate a histogram for each structure slice. The histogram is multiplied by the pixel spacing of the array and the slice spacing to calculate the total volume. The computed histograms for each slice are then summed to create final DVH.

You can contact me offline if you need further information.

Hope that helps,

Adit

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups dicompyler group. To post to this group, send email to dicom...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to dicompyler+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/dicompyler?hl=en
---

Jothybasu Selvaraj

Mar 7, 2018, 4:33:57 PM3/7/18
to dicom...@googlegroups.com