Why patterns?

0 vue

Robby Russell

non lue,
7 oct. 2006, 16:55:0407/10/2006
à dialogu...@googlegroups.com
Hey all!

I'd like to open up another discussion on the topic of patterns.
Following something along the lines of the Socratic method, perhaps
we as a small community can discuss the concept of 'patterns' as a
way to better understand them and hopefully... craft them in a very
thoughtful manner.

The Socratic method "calls for common sense and common speech."
Obviously, this in itself is a pattern. While also looking at the
concept of Dialogue itself, it would be great if we could approach
some of our own conversations amongst each other by following
existing patterns of dialogue.

So... how would you define a pattern? What problems do patterns
solve? ...or are patterns merely a mechanism to getting closer to
some ideal result?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this...

Cheers,

-Robby

--
Robby Russell