How to (better) allow access to sources

Alex

Apr 5, 2011, 4:20:14 AM4/5/11
to diagramo
The problem:
-------------------
There are "rippers" that can take the whole code, use it (even
obfuscate it) and never get credit to Diagramo team and community.
It's hard to track them and we kinda do not want to allocate time and
money on that.

Toni, Zack and me (Alex) had several discussions about how to allow
people access to the sources but not reached any decision so I will
present you some of the ideeas.
Remember that Diagramo is under "Diagramo Free License" (http://
diagramo.com/license.php) which basically says the if you do it for
free it's free but if you want to get money you need a commercial
license.

Here are a few ideas we think of:

Solution 1:
Each person that wants access to sources must print the Diagramo Free
License, sign it, scan it and send it back to us and we will give him
a link to download.

Solution 2:
Add "Agree with Diagramo Free License" checkbox and then force them to
make a payment of 0.1 USD so it can prove he is actually a "human"

Solution 3:
Similar to 2 but without payment. The issue here is that anyone with a
fake address can do that.

Dave Cross

Apr 5, 2011, 10:01:49 AM4/5/11
to diag...@googlegroups.com
I don't believe it's preventable. If someone wants to abuse your
services, I think they will, no matter what you have them do to get the
code. Your main preventative measure is going to be in a constant
development stream -- if you keep making Diagramo better, the pirates'
product will get worse, by the mere fact that their version is outdated.

Since the number of non-profits requesting each license is likely small,
could you somehow "sign" or imprint the code so you know who let it out?
That way, you know who to blacklist when the next version comes out.

-Dave

Alex

Apr 6, 2011, 1:03:05 AM4/6/11
to diagramo
Your ideea is nice and I know that the code will be continually
updated - there a lot of new features

Yes...that might be a solution...