Migrate source to github?

Alex

Apr 8, 2011, 11:08:11 AM4/8/11
to diagramo
We are thinking to move sources to github to make sharing, reporting
and other aspects more easy.

Does anyone have experience with it?

/Alex

Camilo Salazar

Apr 8, 2011, 11:32:07 AM4/8/11
to diag...@googlegroups.com
I'm not an expert on this but this are some hints that may help you...

First, as you may know, the web site to create it is:

If you don´t know for what is a GIT or how it works, this is a link that explains in a short but very good way what is it:

Second, if you are going to manage the project as private it has a cost, if not, ou can create an open source user account free.

Once you are in, you can create a connection between your computer and github with this software

and the configuration instructions are here: http://help.github.com/win-set-up-git/

Then you need to create a repository, place where you are going to have all the files and codes.

In github they have tutorials for everything, right now I'm using it for a project of kinect and some personal projects and is really easy to use and free (open source), i just followed those steps and no more, if you have any specific question let me know.

Att.

Camilo Salazar Paris

Johan Prinsloo

Apr 8, 2011, 12:27:35 PM4/8/11
to diag...@googlegroups.com, Alex
We have been using github for over a year now - it enables collaboration beautifully.
It is built on top of a very good SCM and then added extra collaboration features like issue logging and wiki/doc.

Johan

Alex

Apr 9, 2011, 3:51:06 AM4/9/11
to diagramo
Here are a few features we are searching for

1. Able to add/remove users
2. Able to add/edit/update and comment tasks. Able to attach files to
a task
3. Able to create/report bugs. Able to attach files to a bug
4. I do not know if git is distributed (as mercurial)...but if it
is ...it's a minus (preffer something more similar to Subversion)
5. Able to create private folders
6. Able to post a message for a developer
7. Able to group tasks into milestones
8. Able to assign+notify a task to a developer

Those are the basic features we need. Please let me know if gihub
(from your experience) does have them.

Alex

Johan Prinsloo

Apr 9, 2011, 10:10:02 PM4/9/11
to diag...@googlegroups.com, Alex
Git is a DVCS like Mercurial only faster. DVCS's are really good at automerge, which is their primary advantage over centralized systems like subversion.
1) Yes - i am not sure if you want a private of public repository
2) Git is not task based - we usually create one or more branches per issue or milestone. This blog post is a good overview.
5) Don't know
6 - 8) please see the linked blog post.

I really don't want to oversell Git and Github. Please create a account and try it for a couple of hours. Git itself is well documented:

Alex

Apr 20, 2011, 9:48:20 AM4/20/11
to diagramo
It seems that Github does not have the option to attach a file to an
issue (see feature no, 3) which is vital to any task or bug report.

Alex

Apr 20, 2011, 10:07:53 AM4/20/11
to diagramo
As I study this problem it seems that http://bitbucket.org (Mercurial
based) offers most of the stuff we need. It's similar to github but I
think being bought by Atlasian they have better task management.

Alex

Apr 20, 2011, 10:07:59 AM4/20/11
to diagramo

Alex

Apr 21, 2011, 5:57:37 AM4/21/11
to diagramo
It seems that Mercurial has better integration to Netbeans, also
TurtoiseHG is very nice to use too.

Mercurial being Python based is very easy to install on Windows
machines while for Git you need a "fake" Linux environment to make it
work....you end up installing a lot of stuff....very bloated.

Also the bitbucket interface is very clean - github is very "slick", I
prefer clean and simple stuff :)

Now studying the tagging and revisions.....

Alex

Apr 22, 2011, 5:07:31 AM4/22/11
to diagramo
Hi

I did it. I placed all sources at https://bitbucket.org/scriptoid/diagramo
I hope it will be a smart move.

You can clone it, merge it, etc. Also we have Wiki, Issue trackers and
other goodies.

Alex

Apr 24, 2011, 7:08:08 AM4/24/11
to diagramo
Initiated the Wiki pages for Documentation here
https://bitbucket.org/scriptoid/diagramo/wiki/Home

Any feedback or request of any tutorial is welcomed.