Re: TOPIC: Puredata and bluetooth server

Garrett Lynch

Jul 2, 2009, 6:55:55 PM7/2/09
to dia...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Thanks for your reply, yes it makes complete sense but I'm still not
having any joy getting it to work and am wondering is there is an
issue with the test setup I am using.

I am testing computer to computer at the moment on two OSX 10.5.7
machines, one is a PPC desktop and the other an Intel Powerbook. The
server is running on the Powerbook along with the patch in Puredata
(and I've tried from Max/MSP as well). I have tried "/Diablu/Mailman/
SendPathToGroup mailman.txt Computer * *" and I also tried a wildcard
instead of Computer. Usually I get "/Diablu/Mailman/NoFilesSent"
although I have had one "The service OBEX Push is not available on the
device ..." - I suspect that is my iPhone which is also in range but
that does seem to indicate the the issue is detection side on the
desktop. Both computers are in range as I can send through apples
bluetooth interface without problem.

Oh I've also tried "/Diablu/Mailman/Broadcast" but the server itself
doesn't seem to respond to answer that. Any help or suggestions would
be much appreciated.

a+
gar

On 2 Jul 2009, at 10:44, diablu group wrote:

> == 2 of 2 ==
> Date: Wed, Jul 1 2009 10:41 am
> From: Jorge Cardoso
>

> Hi,
>
> The SendPathToGroup is used to 'broadcast'.
> The last three parameters are used to 'select' the devices to which
> the file should be sent. So,
> the third parameter is the "major device classe", the fourth is the
> "minor device class" and the fifth is the "brand" of the device.
>
> These last three parameters can have wildcards, you could write "Phone
> * *" to send a file to any device of type (major class) Phone.
> If you wanted only smartphones you could send "Phone Smartphone *". In
> the example, the file is sent to all Nokia phones.
>
> The description of the major and minor classes of devices is in the
> Readme.txt.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Jorge

_________________
Gar...@asquare.org
http://www.asquare.org/
http://www.asquare.org/networkresearch/

Garrett Lynch

Jul 3, 2009, 9:33:37 AM7/3/09
to dia...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Starting to have a little more success now, bluetooth is being trigger
on the desktop from the laptop, not every time but most, however I
keep getting failed sends (as below) and the file never arrives just a
continual loading bluetooth alert:

[03/06/2009@14:28:22] Failed trying to send mailman.txt to 000A9531F956
[03/06/2009@14:28:22] Sending OSC message to: /127.0.0.1:12001
[03/06/2009@14:28:22] OSC message sent: /Diablu/Mailman/NoFilesSent

a+
gar

Jorge Cardoso

Jul 3, 2009, 11:21:50 AM7/3/09
to dia...@googlegroups.com
It's hard to know what might be happening...

I've never tried to put two Macs sending files, but on my PC, before receiving
a file I must start the BT receive file (the service is not active all the time...).

Can you try with a 'normal' device, i.e. a Bluetooth phone or PDA. iPhones, at least the
first versions, don't have OBEX so I don't think it will work either.

Jorge
Esta mensagem (incluindo quaisquer anexos) pode conter informação confidencial ou legalmente protegida para uso exclusivo do destinatário. Se não for o destinatário pretendido da mesma, não deverá fazer uso, copiar, distribuir ou revelar o seu conteúdo (incluindo quaisquer anexos) a terceiros, sem a devida autorização. Se recebeu esta mensagem por engano, por favor informe o emissor, por e-mail, e elimine-a imediatamente. Obrigado.

This message may contain confidential information or privileged material, and is intended only for de individual(s) named. If you are not in the named addressee, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

winmail.dat

Garrett

Jul 3, 2009, 2:59:22 PM7/3/09
to DiABlu Project
Yes even the latest iPhones and OS 3 don't have the many of the BT
services including OBEX and the workaround iBluetooth does not work on
OS 3 yet. I've just bought a cheap mobile phone for testing which
will be delivered next week so I'll try again then. Thanks for your
help.

a+
gar

Garrett

Jul 6, 2009, 1:29:56 PM7/6/09
to DiABlu Project
Hi

Have tested now with a phone, the server is finding the phone and
initialising the bluetooth send (the icon in the status bar changes)
but it never sends the file and the phone never receives it. I just
get:

[06/06/2009@18:11:03] Failed trying to send mailman.txt to
0022A9F94338
[06/06/2009@18:11:03] Sending OSC message to: /127.0.0.1:12001
[06/06/2009@18:11:03] OSC message sent: /Diablu/Mailman/NoFilesSent

Sending a file though apples bluetooth interface works without any
problems. Not sure whats wrong as I'm using the default pd send file
patch.

a+
gar

Jorge Cardoso

Jul 6, 2009, 4:21:11 PM7/6/09
to DiABlu Project
Hmm, I'll try to duplicate your settings here but I'm not sure when
I'll be able to do that...
In the mean time, can you check if the server can receive files from
your phone (what model is it?).

Jorge

Garrett

Jul 9, 2009, 5:11:32 AM7/9/09
to DiABlu Project
Hi

No joy receiving from the phone ether, the computer is receiving the
incoming bluetooth message but then the default system bluetooth app
kicks in and deals with it. There is no message in the logs pane.
I've also tried turning the phones bluetooth off and back on to see if
the detection shows up in the log and it doesn't. I'm wondering if
the OSX bluetooth app is stopping the server from using bluetooth but
I see no options to have bluetooth on in the system without its apps.

a+
gar

Jorge Cardoso

Jul 9, 2009, 5:42:42 AM7/9/09
to DiABlu Project
Hi,

I've managed to get an Intel Mac and tested sending and receiving
files and it worked ok
after disabling the Mac's BT services.

Can you uncheck the services as in this picture
http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1460217/BTSettings.png
Just go to the System Preferences, find the Bluetooth dialog and
uncheck the services.

It's probably this that's keeping you from receiving files...

Jorge

Garrett

Jul 10, 2009, 8:39:33 AM7/10/09
to DiABlu Project
Hi

I've had another play around with the bluetooth settings, I'm on OS X
10.5.7 so the system preference panels look very different (very badly
laid out actually) but does the same thing. I unchecked the serial
port (only 1 by default on 10.5.7) and this didn't make any difference
(image 1 below) but you are right the system seemed to be stopping
this from working. Unchecking the check box for bluetooth sharing
seems to be what was stopping the server from using bluetooth.
Bluetooth sharing turns on the system helper app and this has priority
so was always catching the incoming and outgoing messages (image 2
below).

http://www.asquare.org/in-progress/diablu/desktop1.jpg
http://www.asquare.org/in-progress/diablu/desktop2.jpg

So I'm now receiving messages from the phone to the computer, I've
tried this on an intel and ppc machine in both max and pd and this
works without problem. Messages from the computer to the phone still
doesn't work however. Looking at your desktop screen grab I notice
your log does not say the same as mine when the server starts up.
Mine says:

[10/06/2009@13:12:32] Set Device Service Class to
OBJECT_TRANSFER_SERVICE
[10/06/2009@13:12:33] Server started on port 12000

Yours doesn't seem to have that first line, is this normal?

a+
gar

On Jul 9, 10:42 am, Jorge Cardoso <jorgedia...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've managed to get an Intel Mac and tested sending and receiving
> files and it worked ok
> after disabling the Mac's BT services.
>
> Can you uncheck the services as in this picturehttp://files.getdropbox.com/u/1460217/BTSettings.png

Garrett

Jul 11, 2009, 2:23:19 PM7/11/09
to DiABlu Project
whahooo sending both ways now, it seemed to be a combination of
issues. I had my file paths incorrect which was me being a bit slow
but there seems to be an issue when the server does not send, as soon
as a NoFilesSent error is generated the server does not seem to close
the bluetooth connection on osx instead it freezes and all subsequent
attempts fail until the server is quit and relaunched. I'll test a
bit more tomorrow but is there any message that can be sent to the
server to timeout, disconnect/reconnect or relaunch?

a+
gar

On Jul 10, 1:39 pm, Garrett <li...@asquare.org> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've had another play around with the bluetooth settings, I'm on OS X
> 10.5.7 so the system preference panels look very different (very badly
> laid out actually) but does the same thing.  I unchecked the serial
> port (only 1 by default on 10.5.7) and this didn't make any difference
> (image 1 below) but  you are right the system seemed to be stopping
> this from working.  Unchecking the check box for bluetooth sharing
> seems to be what was stopping the server from using bluetooth.
> Bluetooth sharing turns on the system helper app and this has priority
> so was always catching the incoming and outgoing messages (image 2
> below).
>
> http://www.asquare.org/in-progress/diablu/desktop1.jpghttp://www.asquare.org/in-progress/diablu/desktop2.jpg

Jorge Cardoso

Jul 11, 2009, 5:44:16 PM7/11/09
to DiABlu Project
Good news then!...

There are no messages to reconnect or relaunch but I'll try to
reproduce the error you mentioned
and see if I can solve it...

Garrett

Jul 12, 2009, 2:46:17 PM7/12/09
to DiABlu Project
Hi

Just to help speed up the process of testing this is what I have
tested.

Puredata patch, Max patch and Processing sketch all using "/Diablu/
Mailman/SendPathToGroup" and "/Diablu/Mailman/SendPathWithMimeToGroup"
with the wrong path to a file. Bluetooth freezes (using the correct
path works) and returns the following message:

[12/06/2009@18:51:44] Received OSC Message: /Diablu/Mailman/
SendPathToGroup img.jpg Phone * *
[12/06/2009@18:52:02] Failed trying to send img.jpg to 0022A9F94338
[12/06/2009@18:52:02] Sending OSC message to: /127.0.0.1:12001
[12/06/2009@18:52:02] OSC message sent: /Diablu/Mailman/NoFilesSent

I know the readme says "/Diablu/Mailman/FileNotFound" is not one of
the returned messages but shouldn't it be in this scenario? Anyway
it's not terrible problematic as a checking system for the file should
be set up in the app to make sure the path is correct before it is
ever sent to the server.

Using "/Diablu/Mailman/SendPath", "/Diablu/Mailman/SendPathWithMime"
with the wrong path to a file, bluetooth does not freeze, it returns
the correct error "/Diablu/Mailman/FileNotFound".

I'm attempting to use "/Diablu/Mailman/Broadcast /Users/garrett/
Desktop/Examples/max/SendFile/img.jpg Phone * * 20 20" but I'm unsure
as to what the last two messages are measured in ("total time, time
between discoveries") - is this seconds?

a+
gar