Good Readers and Good Writer's Discussion

Jed Miller

May 22, 2014, 5:08:28 PM5/22/14
Directions
Due by June 29th Midnight
Two posts required (150 word minimum requirement for each post)

1. Read Nabokov's "Good Readers and Good Writers".

2. Read the 5-10 most recent discussion posts for this topic. (If applicable)

3. Considering what you have read for Directions #1 & 2, discuss the elements of how Nabokov defines both good literature as well as what it is to be a good reader. (You can either take a broad approach in your analysis where you discuss all elements of this equation or you can narrow your analysis to discuss one aspect of great literature and it's readers.)
Nabokov__Good Readers and Good Writers.doc
Message has been deleted

Patrick Luckey

Jun 10, 2014, 8:31:09 PM6/10/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
There are many characteristics of a good reader described by Nabokov, but I believe the most important three are, the reader must not have any preconceived notions towards the piece of literature, the reader must have an imagination, and the reader must pay attention to the small details.  One of the characteristics a good reader must have is going into a book open minded without any kind of judgment towards the book.  This will get in the way of any kind of understanding of the book if all you are thinking about is what you have heard or what you think instead of trying to see what the author has tried to teach you.  Next, the reader must have an imagination so that he can see the world set before him in the work of literature.  In the readers imagination he can see the book and see the characters and enjoy the book as well as understand it.  Lastly, a reader has to pay attention to smaller details.  In order to be a good reader you cannot just focus on the main idea of a story as it only gives you part of the message.  When searching and looking for smaller details and remembering what they were the reader gains a greater understanding of the story and the message of the author.  In all, Nabokov describes a good reader as a person who goes in open minded with an imagination, and pays attention to detail, and when all these factors are put together the reader finds the true meaning and understanding of the piece of literature.
Message has been deleted

Brandon Roscoe

Jun 19, 2014, 5:56:19 PM6/19/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

Nabokov defines what it is to be a good reader with the readers mind and how he or she treats the books story. To be a good reader one must not generalize at the beginning of the book, Nabokov says you need to be able to enter the books “new world” and treat it like it is something unheard of before.  Nabokov also states that a good reader is someone who rereads; he says that when we read a book for the first time we are simply just moving our eyes across the page, when a reader reads a book a second or third time it becomes more accustomed to his or her mind and the reader can now mentally grab details that may have missed before. The Final attribute of a good reader is to have an “impersonal imagination”. What Nabokov means by this is that, the reader needs to use his imagination just as the writer did. There must be a balance between the readers and writers imagination, the reader cannot try to be character in the book, or compare it to his past. The book being read is a new story and should be treated like one.

Maddy Larson

Jun 20, 2014, 12:25:43 AM6/20/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

As Patrick mentioned in his comments earlier, there are many qualities that a good reader possesses.  According to Nabokov, to be a good reader one must be able to observe detail, have an imagination, and keep perspective while finding the deeper meaning of the book. But to find the deeper meaning in the book, Nabokov stresses the importance of maintaining a balance between the artistic mind and the scientific mind. For example, Nabokov states “as you have guessed, the good reader is one who has an imagination, memory, a dictionary, and some artistic sense”. This quote shows the importance of having an artistic sense and being able to look at something and analyze it through your imagination and the details presented. However, Nabokov also believes that relying too heavily on the artistic mind alone will result in the reader becoming too subjective and miss some of the meaning in the literature.  Nabokov thinks this is why a balance between the artistic mind and scientific mind is essential to get the full meaning and experience the author intended.   The scientific sense shifts focus from the artistic mind and is more centered on inferring and questioning the piece of literature.  The reader must obtain skills such as finding the” depth and development”, being realistic in the knowledge they will obtain from the literature, and learn to question and figure out an author’s intentions.  “The mind, the brain, the top of the tingling spine, is, or should be, the only instrument used upon a book” and to be a good reader there must be a balance in order to find the deeper meaning and the art of literature.

Gabriella Choe

Jun 20, 2014, 10:03:57 PM6/20/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
Vladimir Nabokov defines good literature by the author’s ability to create an original base for their work out of pure imagination. Nabokov praises this talent as a way to separate good literature created by master artists from literature created by minor authors. Nabokov believes good literature requires authors to create a setting without the use of preconceived notions promoted by the public, but to instead create an entire world from their own imagination. He values this quality because the author must take into account all the vast possibilities of materials to use and be “...the first man to mop it and to form the natural objects it contains.” Where minor authors utilize a repetitive series of patterns, good literature is produced by writers who reinvent and give new order to a world they have generated to fit accordingly to their piece of work. This nature of work found in good literature is held to such high esteem by Nabokov because it does not merely encompass a standardized setting, but goes more in depth; these master artists construct entire atmospheres from a limitless quantity of prospects in which they are required to sort through until the right components are found. This strength to rely on one’s own inventiveness is what composes good literature and divides it from literature lacking of originality.

Vladimir Nabokov defines a good reader as an individual who possesses “impersonal imagination and artistic delight.” This “impersonal imagination” allows the reader to not to be distracted by identifying themselves with a character in the book. The reader is then able to truly understand what the story is about because they are not preoccupied with their own agenda of scoping out parallels to connect with. A reader who is able to read objectively, when necessary, and use impersonal imagination meets Nabokov’s requirement, “since the master artist used his imagination in creating his book, it is natural and fair that the consumer of a book should use his imagination too.” Nabokov believes the readers must place themselves in the author’s imagination, not just remain in their own set mind. By doing so, the good reader not only practices this impersonal imagination but also obtains artistic delight. Artistic delight is to appreciate what has been created by another, and Nabokov regards this talent as a fundamental quality. In order for the reader to properly submerge themselves into the author’s work, “we must see things and hear things, we must visualize the rooms, the clothes, the manners of an author’s people.” Impersonal imagination and artistic delight are not achievable without the other; when a reader possesses one element, they posses the other. These two elements are conducive for a good reader to really appreciate the work they are reading.

Sophia O'Neal

Jun 20, 2014, 11:18:15 PM6/20/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

A good reader, as defined by Vladimir Nabokov, is one who can digest details with imagination and appreciation for an author’s work. Nabokov highlights that “the best temperament for a reader to have...is a combination of the artistic and the scientific one.” Readers must approach literature with a reserved passion, meaning that the enthusiasm of reading must not cloud their ability to analyze and understand. In reading, there must be a balance between “an artist’s passion and a scientist’s patience” because subjection undermines the author’s intention in writing. If a reader identifies with the story on a personal level, the focus of the plot is diminished; the reader pays heed to their own connections, rather than the story line. Nabokov emphasizes that “the reader must know when and where to curb his imagination” because visualizations must be pure, untainted by a wild imagination. Attention to details, and appreciating them in their purest form, are vital in making stories come alive, the way their authors intended.

Nabokov believes that a good writer possesses an original imagination. He states that “time and space, the colors of the seasons… [are] not traditional notions which may be borrowed...but [are] a series of unique surprises which master artists...express in their own unique way.” Writers may harbor inspiration from common ideas, but without an original twist, their idea is just that: common. To write a captivating piece of literature, the building blocks must be molded by a creative mind. Every bridge design has a similar skeletal structure, yet not all bridges appear the same. Their modern materials can take inspiration from old ones, and still yield a original appearance. The direct use of former structures pose the threat of collapse since they have already been worn. This concept is similar in writing: inspiration may come from the ideas of others, but it is personal flare that provides a strong foundation for imagination to build upon. Unoriginal ideas do not entertain readers, they do not interest readers; unoriginality acts as a spoiler. Had Dorothy known she was unconscious, she would have never wanted to go down the Yellow Brick Road. It is the excitement and unfamiliarity that inspires readers to become enveloped by vivid imagery; Dorothy was unaware that the land of Oz was a dream, which allowed her to believe it was reality. Nabokov wants writers to “[see] the world as the potentiality of fiction,” and let their imagination lead them down the path less traveled.

mollie myers

Jun 21, 2014, 2:50:50 PM6/21/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

     I am a firm believer in the opinion that a book belongs equally to both the writer and reader, so both participants are equally responsible for the integrity of the book.
     Writers must create with balance in mind. I believe this was Nabokov's main point while saying, "A major writer combines these three- story teller, teacher, enchanter." If one wishes to be appreciated as a writer, the must be able to appeal to as many of the reader's senses as possible. A good piece of writing is intellectual, emotional, and captivating. There can be different philosophies on how to create and combine these aspects. A writer can base a story in a real world to make it relatable or create a new world to make it intriguing. A writer can follow the pattern of a genre to appeal to a readers comfort zone or make every turn of the page a surprise to keep the reader on their toes. It can be a mixture of any number of these methods and more that makes a truly great work of art, but I believe the final decision lies in the hand of the reader.

A readers responsibility to a book is similar to that of the writer. For the most part I think that Nabokov is simply asking readers not to take this art and put it in a box, but that instead they let it spread in as many directions as it possibly can. I found two of Nabokov's points about good readers to be very important: Come into a book with as few expectations as possible, and reread. There are many ways to read something, but if you but if you practice these two things, I don't think it will distract much (or at all) from your previous methods of reading. It is important to let go of all previous expectations while reading because those expectations can prohibit you from see in the authors original intent or the impact the book could otherwise have had on you. Sticking a story into a specific location, genre, etc. can restrict your thought process on the story itself and how far it's words can reach. Rereading is also important because the first time you read a text, you often miss important phases that lead to a final result simply because you didn't know they would be important. The first time a person leads, they are often so consumed with what will happen next or what was the meaning of that passage, that they don't notice the details that fill out the story to give it depth and completion.
     When readers work together with the writers, a piece of writing can come to life and make a lasting effect. This is best shown with Nabokov's mountain illustration which he (and I will) ends with, "whom do you thin [the writer] meets? The panting and happy reader, and there they spontaneously embrace and are lined forever if the book lasts forever."

Brandon Roscoe

Jun 23, 2014, 2:21:32 PM6/23/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
A good writer, according to Nabokov, is a great deceiver, and an enchanter as the literary piece should amaze and cause the reader to want to read more and more. With the writer being a great deceiver, he or she must be able to make you believe the story even though it is not true. The writer wants you to be so connected with the book that you don't even question it's reality, you just believe it. As an enchanter the writers goal is to make you envy at the magic and genius of the piece. As Nabokov states, "The three facets of a great writer- magic,story,lesson...", the writer must be able to blend these together in a unique way in order to create the piece of art that he or she wants. according to Nabokov, a good writers main goal should be to make the reader read "... not with his heart, not so much with his brain, but with his spine". The good writer wants you to be able to feel his literature.

jeffrey sagan

Jun 23, 2014, 3:01:40 PM6/23/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
Jeffrey Sagan

As Nabokov said "A good reader, a major reader, an artistic and creative reader is a rereader," this idea had great merit behind it and intrigued me. As I reread I noticed more I had missed upon first inspection and therefore missed Nabokov's first, true meaning in writing his analysis of the qualities that make a reader great. This idea is behind how we, as the reader, miss so much the first time as our eyes and brain mechanically read the page. We can not absorb the full meaning of a peace of literature upon first inspection as we can a piece of art such as a painting.

As I reread Nabokov's work of literature I truly noticed the second most important piece in the puzzle of forming a great reader and a great writer. As  young kid, at the age of six or seven, I was imaginative, but naive.  As I have aged I have accepted a more scientific thought process in my life. Now this is ok for many activities I do in my life but it lacks the full potential of a merging between my six year old mind and my mind today. A true reader needs to reconnect with his imaginative, impatient six year old while balancing that out with his or her older, more patient scientific brain. In doing this a book can become more enjoyable, more clear, and overall a better more purposeful use of your time.

The last point i would like to cover is Nabokov's idea of not starting with a preconceived idea of what the writer is trying to say for it will cloud the overall picture of what the author truly wants to portray in his work. As i read the posts of my peers and there ideas into what makes a great reader and writer I decided to try this out fully. i had my three ideas loosely placed in the back of my mind but left a lot of space to fully absorb their ideas and work upon them too. What i found was my ideas became better with the edition of other ideas that I as one person might not have thought of. As I read and reread the posts i noticed my grasp upon not only what Nabokov is trying to say but also what i wanted to say broadened and lead me to the post i am writing now. I believe that upon further inspection of my peers posts and Nabokov's writings my response would differ greatly. Not having a preconceived notion of what a writer is going to say opens a broader amount of information one person can gather as a reader.

Monica Bushéy

Jun 24, 2014, 5:05:08 PM6/24/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
  I have always thought books to be magic, which is why I've always been baffled by people who claimed magic did not exist. How can one say that when there are words that have been written down a millennium ago and are still being quoted, still being used. How can it not be magic if not even human being can live that long? Memory of spoken words does not last forever, but something written in stone, written in clay - that will stand the test of time and will be remembered for eons to come. But there are people who decide what stays and what goes, what will live for a century or die in a decade. And that is what Nabokov touches on, the ones who make the choice to keep this magic and store it away.
  "A major writer combines these three—storyteller, teacher, enchanter—but it is the enchanter in him that predominates and makes him a major writer." Nabokov, throughout his eloquent "investigation" of literature, points out the heart of any author - any good one that is. We all know that presently it is very simple for anyone to publish their writings, even if they aren't considered "good". But we also know that those writings will be pushed to the peripheries of the literature world unless they are recognized by readers as something that "appeals...to the mind." As humans stuck in an era of knowledge and technology, most of us yearn for something new, something different. We find release in works of fiction or non-fiction, an escape from what we know. And it is only through authors who weave such intricate and magical webs of seeming deception that we find our peace. "Literature is invention," an invention that could be argued of being the best. For it is in writing that we as readers find ourselves in a tangle of emotions - weeping for people who do not exist, cheering for heroes who never lived, and getting enraged by villains who never harmed our lives. One can even argue that movies and televised media work the same way, as they too are based off a script, something that was first written before it became visual. Whatever the case, it is a known fact that to affect an audience, one must have been affected first. There must be emotion to have emotion - that is what great literature is.
  But how has great literature been defined? By human standards, not by an absolute truth. In the years to come such stories as The Fault in Our Stars or Divergent might be considered rubbish. For the readers are the ones who decide what comes and what goes. However, Nabokov identifies three different types of readers, all of which find some way to identify with the book they are reading. And yet he later says that "impersonal imagination and artistic delight" are the "authentic instrument[s] to be used by the reader." To understand this magic, the reader must have a comprehension of it, maybe even a bit of magic themselves. You cannot ask a blind person to see a painting and describe it, but you can read a story to them and ask them what they see in their mind's eye. For even those who cannot see can imagine. That is one of the crowning achievements of humans, to think of what could be. So, if a reader cannot imagine, then the literature which he/she is reading will not be pleasing. The literature will then be forgotten or stored away in some hard drive, never to be looked at again. I believe that every person who has emotion has imagination. It is what we feel that spurs us on, be it a nostalgic feeling, an adventurous spirit, or a passionate drive to accomplish. And Nabokov defines the two most important emotions, or temperaments, as "a combination of the artistic and the scientific one... of an artist's passion and a scientist's patience."
  The topic of this discussion is a brilliant and intriguing one indeed, one that could be discussed for a very long while for there is so much to say. I should suffice it to this quote from Janae Mitchell: “Readers are often fans of authors, but I, myself, am a fan of readers. They are the ones who breathe life into the pages that we give birth to, after all.” You cannot have good literature if your readers don't consider it good.

Patrick Luckey

Jun 24, 2014, 5:54:06 PM6/24/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
One characteristic that Nabokov says a good writer posses is that the writer doesn't use any set values do describe and write with, but instead make his own values and imagination, and that a good writer is either a storyteller, teacher, or an enchanter.  When Nabokov says that the writer creates his own set of values I believe that he is saying a writer must write with no set limit.  A writer must write without worldly fears, or thoughts of what would make sense in the real world.  Great writers aren't writing about the real world, they are writing about their world, and in their world, a writer can't think as if they are in the real world.  They must create their own thoughts and beliefs, their limits and rules, so as to make their story truly memorable and fantastic for their readers.  Finally a writer must take a role in his book as the storyteller, teacher, and an enchanter.  As the writer takes the place of a storyteller, we look to him as a source of entertainment, we want to be brought in and we want to learn and listen, watch and be amazed at the superb tale of fantastic stories told by this amazing person.  When the author is a teacher, we look to them for direct knowledge, and to learn of the time or the problem, but the most important as explained by Nabokov the writer must be an enchanter. He must amaze and astound the reader and leave his mark in the mind of the reader.  These are the traits that Nabokov describes a great writer has.

carissa garrity

Jun 24, 2014, 7:01:58 PM6/24/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

A good reader’s task is dependent on good literature, according to Vladimir Nabokov, “Literature is an invention.”If that is the case then the reader must reread and have an “impersonal imagination” to understand something that was created only by the author. A reader might relate the novel’s events to events in their life because it helps the reader accept the book of its intellect because of how it relates to the real world. However, Nabokov argues, the reader might miss abstractions or “other branches of knowledge” the author is trying to get across because they are unknown or confusing. However, some of the author’s intuitive can be misleading and can require you to reread important notions that may not have seemed important at the time or that you related to personal events and therefore not interpreting it the way the author may have intended. An artist of literature contains abstraction and therefore requires rereading and an open mind to possibilities, without it you will not be able to fully appreciate great literature.

carissa garrity

Jun 24, 2014, 7:02:59 PM6/24/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

Vladimir Nabokov discusses the way in which he measures a major writer, by the magic, storytelling and lessons the author includes. However, it is the magic, or “fiction”, that over rules, “but it is the enchanter in him that predominates and makes him a major writer,” because it is here that we study and start to understand “the individual magic of his genius and to study the style, the imagery, the pattern of his novels or poems.”Nabokov argues that without invention or magic the “art of writing is a futile business.” By allowing fiction into literature it allows the reader “the art of seeing the world as the potentiality of fiction.” After analyzing this new world it gives the reader options to connect this new world to other world, or reality, which could lead to “other branches of knowledge.” The new worlds that the author describes can open up different viewpoints that aren’t considered because it doesn’t seem realistic, however if the author is a good writer they will also give lessons. By using the magic in their literature they will use this information to teach a bigger picture that might not be seen from the naked eye, “Alas, I have known… or in sad Russia.” Finally, Nabokov argues that a good writer must also be a storyteller who “we turn for entertainment, for mental excitement.” To do this, the storyteller paints a picture in our head of the setting for the magical new world. As a result, this means that the storyteller cannot create as much excitement without the magic, who also can’t survive without lesson to provide validity.

Alejandro Rosales

Jun 25, 2014, 4:28:14 PM6/25/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Nabokov’s idea that a good reader should have an imagination to believe, memory to think about their life, and an artistic sense that sees the smallest of important details to have an apprehension of a book. The reader must admire the book having an artistic sense like looking at an unusual, but fascinating painting that mesmerizes the mind saying “I might be different than the rest with my colors and shadowing, but you ponder what my true meaning is.” At that point that is when the reader’s imagination pops out, making them realize that the book is a reality of the universe waiting to be discovered, and its mysteries just waiting to be unfolded. The reader opens the book and enters a world where their memories fade into the mind as if the book where a part of their life, their only survival. Final thought that good readers should have is to know when a book has a deeper meaning that can’t be found in one day, but over time of questioning. Only after that does the true meaning become clear and important.

Alejandro Rosales

Jun 25, 2014, 4:29:36 PM6/25/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
There are numerous definitions of a good writer, but how Nabokov defines a good writer is very intriguing. His perspective of a good writer is an enchanter who with literature boggles the mind causing the reader to reread, to become part of the book and see every single word as a clue to a tiresome mystery that seems impossible to solve, but really you just have to ponder the way it is structured. Another thought of Nabokov is “the three facets of the great writer-magic, story, lesson… ” which seems unique because a reader looks for these important attributes to become hooked onto a book and see life in a whole different way. By doing this the great writer makes readers become deceived, not telling fiction from reality and believing that there is a trickle of magic in literature. But the one thought that really caught my attention, was that not just any good novel makes a good writer, but that a spark of light that creates an invention used worldwide, is the inspiration of a new beginning for many lives which is a good writer’s masterpiece.
Message has been deleted

Nikki Torres

Jun 25, 2014, 7:09:47 PM6/25/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

There are many qualities in which a good reader can be found, although Nabokov accounts the process in which these “good readers” analyze the texts before them. There are a variety of readers all retaining a unique style, including: “major readers, active readers, and creative readers”. All of these types have one thing in common: they are all rereaders. The idea that any one reader can completely comprehend a whole story in just one reading illogical. Nabokov aspires to teach others to read a book just as you would observe a painting. “When we look at a painting we do not have to move our eyes in a special way” but when reading a book we are forced to read continuously and rapidly from line to line. This aggressive and highly paced system that we have been trained to use is not all that adequate. Instead of grasping the rich, delicate details we lose them within the lines and only identify the general meaning. For example, when we rewatch a movie or reread a book from our childhood we find ideas and humor that had gone unnoticed when we first encountered them.  Nabokov justifies just how important the rereading process is because of how much the hidden detail can effect and give life to a story. The intricacy will provide a “happy reader, and there they spontaneously embrace and are linked forever”. When we revise a story, we will then be allowed to fulfill the entirety of the books purpose.
Message has been deleted

Megan Campbell

Jun 25, 2014, 8:15:13 PM6/25/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

If both the writer and reader do their tasks well, they benefit each other.  Each good quality of a writer is mirrored in a good quality of a reader.

A truly wonderful writer creates a world so believable that it springs into being in the reader’s brain.  The author, or “enchanter”, creates a spell with the specific style they write with (4).  Each author’s use of literary devices, such as symbols and imagery, and their diction is unique to them and defines their style.  If their job as an “enchanter” is done well, the text’s style is pleasing to the audience, and a joy to read (4).  A reader’s duty is to unravel the magic of the style of the text.  This is not an easy task since the spectacular parts of a story can be contained in minute details.  To catch these details, multiple rereads of the text are required.  Only after the third or fourth read can the reader take in “the whole picture” (2).  For example, the cryptic words of the witches in Macbeth can only be understood after the downfall of Macbeth.  To notice the careful foreshadowing of the witches, a couple a rereads of the text is necessary.  A great author should be able to enchant readers, and a good reader should just as easily be able to unravel the enchantment hidden within the text.

Megan Campbell

Jun 25, 2014, 8:15:54 PM6/25/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

A good writer should be a “storyteller” and the reader should enjoy the story created without being distracted by their emotions too much (4).  An author should be able to create a world of their own, and an interesting plot to pair with it.  If this is done well, the story, at the very least, will entertain the reader.  To honor the efforts of the writer, the reader should have “impersonal imagination” (3).  As Gabby said, the reader should not be “preoccupied with their own agenda.”  Being distracted by emotions unnecessarily makes it impossible to appreciate the work of the writer.  Also, preconceived ideas about the world the author has created can make it hard to understand the story.  The reader should always remember that the world created by the author may parallel a time period, but the world of the book is unique to the author.  If someone reads Animal Farm with the idea that it is simply a retelling of the Russian Revolution, then they have not understood the story.  Animal Farm is a satire created to mimic the Russian Revolution, not to be the Russian Revolution.  By having impersonal imagination and starting a book with no preconceived ideas, a reader honors the work of the story teller.

Lana Karajeh

Jun 25, 2014, 9:00:59 PM6/25/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
In Nabokov's essay, he discusses what it is to be a good reader; things one should look for while reading, things one should remember not to do, etc. He starts off by saying that a good reader is someone who does not generalize based on the book's cover, author, title, etc. what the book will be about. To be a good reader, one must go into reading a book completely blank; do not go into a reading connecting the story with prior knowledge about the world in the book. Next, he jumps to imagination, something he claims a good reader has to posses. When reading, one has to be able to grasp the smallest details presented in the book in order to be completely absorbed into the world created by the author. Details are essential when reading because it allows the reader to fully understand the story as a whole, but also, it allows the reader to picture the characters down to the smallest facial expression, as well as their role in the story, and their connection to all the other characters. Last, he stresses the importance of not only reading a book, but also rereading it. By rereading any book, a person has the chance to savor and/or discover details they have read over once before. His discussions of what it is to be a good reader transitioned into discussing the elements of good literature. "Minor authors" write books that utilize commonplace, ordinary things, but when writing they make use of them in interesting ways. The reason this method works so well is because the reader can relate to the everyday items/situations being presented. Good literature has to infused with imagery that allows us to picture the book's world perfectly clear. It also has to entertain; be chalk full off humor, wit, emotion, etc. Good literature should also contain something the reader can take away from it, such as facts, or a lesson. Last, good literature must give off a "magical" quality; it has to make us feel something. If you read a good book the right way, you should be able to enjoy the book, and take something away from it in the end.

Joshua Thompson

Jun 25, 2014, 9:53:48 PM6/25/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

In his article, "Good Readers and Good Writers", Vladimir Nabokov defines what he thinks makes up the qualities of a good reader and writer. Although he lists many great traits, I believe that a good reader must always keep an open mind and be able to accept and understand new ideals. These traits are key to being a good reader because some authors may introduce new and unorthodox ideas that are strange to you. As long as one keeps an open mind and eliminates all judgment, it will be easier to understand the meaning of the story and make sense of what the author is trying to say. An example of this is a man reading a romance novel. In most cases, men have no interest in romance novels and usually judge them immediately without reading the entire book first. This leads to misunderstandings about the true meaning of the book due to lack of reading it. What is best to do, is to let go of all of your past judgments and read the book with a clear mind to allow a complete understanding of the book. Definitely, I believe that the most crucial aspect of a good reader is the ability to be able to read a book with a clear mind and free of past judgments in order to allow you to accept new ideals.

Emily Marquez

Jun 25, 2014, 11:04:32 PM6/25/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
According to Nabokov's article, good literature is defined by the authors ability to create. From the passage, we see a common pattern of the relationship between literature and art, both being very creative and involving the use of imagination to produce beautiful end results.  As stated on page 1, "The art of writing is a very futile business if it does not imply first of all the art of seeing the world as the potentiality of fiction." This quote expresses how Nabokov believes that great literature comes from a creative author who is willing to look at the world through a new set of eyes. Personally I believe that Nabokov is trying to get across that good literature comes from innovation and the skill to dream. The ability to disguise your own ideas and reinvent the world in your own unique way, is truly the meaning of good literature.

 There is a repeating pattern throughout Nabokov's writing that a good reader must use his own imagination when reading literature and look at it with no rules. On page 1 it stated, "We should always remember that the work of art is invariably the creation of a new world, so that the first thing we should do is to study that new world as closely as possible, approaching it as something brand new, having no obvious connection with the worlds we already know." This quote really stuck with me throughout the entire passage because it can relate to other things besides reading, for example how to connect with people. Again, we see a common connection to relating reading a piece of literature to looking at a piece of art. As shown in the quote from page 2, "When we look at a painting we do not have to move our eyes in a special way even if, as in a book, the picture contains elements of depth and development." To be a good reader, you must look at a piece of literature as a new beginning of an entire world you know nothing about. The most important skill you must have as a reader is the ability to create a connection with a text, as you would with a work of art.

Natividad Magallon

Jun 25, 2014, 11:25:17 PM6/25/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
Nabokov defines good writer to have an imagination. He states "..express in there own unique way..". I believe having a strong imagination is crucial in order to be a good, and successful writer. To be able to write an outstanding piece of literature, the writer must be capable of creating something "unforgettable" or "memorable". Being able to portray your ideas or values in literature in a creative way is what makes a good writer. Nabokov believes that substantial literature comes from being an author who is able to view the world in a different way when writing. I personally believe that what Nabokov is trying to say is that good literature comes from being able to express yourself through writing, and imagination is what creates it all.

There are many different qualities that a good reader must possess. In Nabokov essay he starts out by claiming, in order to be a good reader, one must see past the words and find find a deeper meaning to the writers work. For instance, Nabokov stated "If one begins with a readymade generalization, one begins at the wrong end and travels away from the book before one has even started to understand it." This quote is significant because he is stating that you have to go in to a book open minded or approaching it as something brand new. Afterward, he went to having imagination, something every reader or writer should posses. He claims that a good reader must know when and where to "curb his imagination" to be able to get a clear visualization of the authors world. Lastly, he firmly believes that a good reader must have an artistic mind. "The process of learning in terms of space and time what the book is about" is what he considers an artistic appreciation. I believe what he means is obtaining the skills for example finding the "depth and development" in a writers work.

Joshua Thompson

Jun 25, 2014, 11:39:55 PM6/25/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

                 According to Vladimir Nabokov, the writer of the article “Good Readers and Good Writers”, the main important characteristics of good literature is the ability to transport the reader into another world, give the reader some “direct knowledge (simple facts)”, and to allow the reader to “grasp the individual magic of [the writers] genius [through the] style, the imagery, the pattern of his novels”. These attributes help a great deal to make good literature, but I believe that originality is key to making a good read. Originality is what draws a reader into a book because upon reading the first few pages, the reader is introduced to new ideas that they haven’t been seen before. Although some ideas of the literature may have been borrowed, the writer uses their own unique twist on those borrowed ideas, making them original. An example of a book that excelled due to its originality is Susan Collins’ book The Hunger Games. This book introduces a new idea about a way a government rules its subjects through The Hunger Games. Because of this new idea, The Hunger Games is one of the most well-known books today.

Nikki Torres

Jun 26, 2014, 12:53:29 AM6/26/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

No great story was assembled from a prepackage book. Therefore no great writer assembles a story from fragments of an earlier story.  The greatest facet a writer can have is the ability to combine the imagery of an enchanter, the wisdom of a teacher and the explanation of a storyteller into a balanced harmony. The mixture of these works can create a perfect balance where the author must create his own boundaries and ideas. Presenting the perfect amount of originality. Just as the storyteller explains and narrates the ideas and plot, the teacher gives the story meaning and value with its lessons. However it is the “enchanter in him that predominates and makes him a major writer”. The thrilling imagination and detail makes an enchanting visual experience that ties the story and lesson into one dynamic formula. “The art of a writer is a very futile business if it does not imply first of all the art of seeing the world as the potential of fiction”. Although the writer could include the great aspects of lessons, and plot the “magic” or “art” is key in making a lasting impression on the readers. This ability to add some vest to the story creates a new passage way into the readers mind, brain and of course spine. The unique pieces of knowledge, tale and magic must be then puzzled together by a reader. This mysterious puzzle once put together then reflects on just how great the writer really is.

Justin Kemper

Jun 26, 2014, 3:27:56 PM6/26/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
According to Vladimir Nabokov, the most important skill to be a good reader is to read the story thoroughly and notices all of the fine details. He believes that while they are reading, a good reader captures the details and mentally creates the world that the author is creating before them. He emphasizes the part about while they are reading because he does not want readers to open a book with prejudgment. If someone starts a book already trying to generalize what it is about, then they do not give the author a chance to fully show his art. Another point that he makes is that relates to his previous view, is that a reader should not try so hard to relate themselves or the world around them to what they are reading. This creates problems because when you try to relate you miss out on what is important; what is different and makes the story unique. Once you have read and thoroughly understand the uniqueness of the story, only then, you can try to relate it to other experiences. The final part of being a good reader is to reread. The first time you read something you are trying to understand what is going on, but once you have read and understand it, you can read it again and really see all the detail and the clever wording that a good author puts in his or her work.

Justin Kemper

Jun 26, 2014, 3:53:02 PM6/26/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
Based on what Vladimir Nabokov was saying in "Good Readers and Good Writers", in order for an author to make great literature they must be unique. They should not recreate the world around him. They should create a world of their own, with its own time and space. A good writer must be so well at what they do, that they do not let reality affect their train of thought as they are writing. The author states that "A major writer combines these three—storyteller, teacher, enchanter—but it is the enchanter in him that predominates and makes him a major writer". this is because readers go to literature to open their mind to new things, not to read about the "common world". On-top of being a good fiction writer who enchants his readers, the best writers also incorporate "the three facets of the great writer—magic, story, (and) lesson". A great writer creates a new world for the reader, then he establishes a unique story and plot, and finally he leaves the reader with a lesson learned. Even though it is a fictional book, there should be an underlying non-fiction lesson, that the readers can relate to.

katie mackenzie

Jun 27, 2014, 3:50:13 AM6/27/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

In the article “Good Readers and Good Writers” the author, Vladimir Nabokov, describes a good reader as one who “notices and fondles details” (1). Nabokov explains that to each and every author the world is portrayed in a different way and the reader must be able to “approach it as something brand new” (1). Throughout the article this emphasis on noticing small details is evident as a “good…major…active, and creative reader” are described as “rereaders” (2). Re-reading is important because when reading something the first time not all the subtle details are as apparent as reading it for a second or third time. If one does not “acquaint” themselves with the book they are not being a good reader and applying their mind as an instrument (2). It was once said by Gustave Flaubert that “what a scholar one might be if one knew well only some half a dozen books” (1). Nabokov used Flaubert’s quote to accentuate the fact that good readers notice the small details, and understand the context of novels.

katie mackenzie

Jun 27, 2014, 4:09:55 AM6/27/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

            In “Good Readers and Good Writers” Vladimir Nabokov explained a good writer as a “storyteller, as a teacher, and as an enchanter” (4). As a storyteller a writer must entertain the reader and hook them to the plot line. The reader must be invested in the story and have some “Mental excitement” (4). Being a storyteller also allows the readers to travel along with the story and use their imagination. A good writer must also be a teacher in their writings. They do not have to be historical or write about educational topics to teach, but for the “direct knowledge” and “simple facts” (4). The enchantment, or “predominant” factor, in being a good writer just entails the magic and cohesion of the work. To be a good writer you must be a storyteller, a teacher, and an enchanter, because it makes the story come alive with uniqueness and contributes to a successful piece of literature.

Jed Miller

Jun 27, 2014, 11:48:32 AM6/27/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
My favorite part of Nabokov's essay his list of questions for what makes a good reader. I think this resonates with me because it is understandable. Great literature can be fairly subjective, and is too often placed under the guise that a book that is difficult to read must be a great book but it takes so much effort to understand it. I don't buy into that notion. I like the idea that my imagination, my memory, my sense of artistic style, and a dictionary can lead me to knowing and enjoying great literature. The aloof, or objective, imagination that Nabokov speaks of also appeals to me because I think it is the avenue that enables my sense of artistic style to play along as well. It is not just the story that I am imagining but the construction of the story. It is a very different experience for me as a reader when I am reading a good story versus when I am reading a book that blends great storytelling and great style.

For an example of how I consume good storytelling, let me use the Divergent series (though you include many of the popular series out there today). With Divergent, I really liked the first book. I was hooked by the story and characters. I read it quickly because the story intrigued me. At the end of it, I was excited to move onto the next book, but the second book, as well as the third, was not nearly as good, and what wasn't as good was the story telling. Her style had not changed, but I had never been reading it for style. I just wanted to know what would happen next, so I would find myself looking at how much more I had to read to get to the end so that I would know how it all panned out. I no longer was enjoying the story but I wanted to know if it would resolve itself in a way that I would enjoy. It didn't and I left disappointed. That is the problem with a book that lacks a sense of artistic style. When the storytelling flags then it has nothing else to rely on. I am not enchanted by the book, there is nothing new for me to see, just the resolution of the action.

As a counterpoint, my favorite book is The Brothers K by David James Duncan. I read it every year and it enchants me every time. I know the story well now yet I still read for its style and for those moments where the book truly makes my imagination come alive. There are scenes in that book that take my breath away. There are lines I read over and over again because they are beautiful, playful, poignant, funny, and rich. In the end, The Brothers K asks for my imagination, my memory, my sense of artistic style and a dictionary. It is a book that makes feel like a good reader.

Patrick O'Brien

Jun 27, 2014, 12:53:34 PM6/27/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
In the article, "Good Readers and Good Writers," Vladimir Nabokov depicts a good reader as one who has a vast imagination, memory, a dictionary, and artistic sense. However, he made it clear that an artistic mind is not enough, and that the best temperament for a reader to develop includes a scientific thought process as well. The excitement of starting a new book should not suppress the reader's ability to examine and analyze the story. Vladimir believed that one should "notice and fondle" details, and never begin with a readymade generalization about the book at hand.  He portrayed each story as a "new world," and believed that you should study that world as closely as possible without attempting to compare it to one you are already familiar with. While all of these qualities and abilities are important, the part of the article that stood out to me the most was where Nabokov states that "a good reader, a major reader, an active and creative reader is a rereader." He goes on to explain that most of us focus simply on getting onto the next page when we read a book the first time, tiresomely scanning our eyes from left to right, oblivious of the details.

David Avery

Jun 27, 2014, 6:35:57 PM6/27/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

In his “investigation of the mystery of literary structures” Vladimir Nabokov describes what it means to be a good reader and a good writer.  Nabokov breaks it down into several key elements.

First off, in the very beginning Nabokov warns against the drunkenness of generalization.  There is nothing wrong with generalizing and highlighting the best parts of a novel once a reader has a full understanding of it, but one cannot have any preconceived notions going into a novel.  Bringing to mind an old chinese proverb, one cannot fill a cup that has already been filled, and in the same way a reader cannot learn anything from a novel or its author if he thinks he already knows what he’s going to read.  Nabokov insists that the world in which a novel is set in is completely of its own, and cannot be looked at like our own world.  One must study this new world, and fully understand its complexities before he or she can fully appreciate its fine details.  This is why Nabokov insists on rereading.  Lastly, Nabokov writes that to be a good reader one must have a dictionary to understand the words themselves, the memory to place any given event in a novel within an entire context, the imagination to visualize a novel’s setting, and the artistic sense to understand a novel in a unique way.  Nabokov compares these qualities to looking at a piece of fine artwork.  When we look at a piece of artwork we must have an imagination to understand the message being told by the author.  The symbols, art style, and colors can all contribute to the emotions and attitude being indicated by the artist in his art.  At the same time, we must have an artistic sense to realize that a piece of art is subjective.  There are an infinite amount of ways to interpret a piece of art and none are necessarily wrong.  However, it is our jobs as viewers to come up with a unique way of interpreting that piece of art.  This is all true with great literature as well, and it is Nabokov’s view that this is the stance we should take on how to be good readers as well.

On the flip side of the coin, Nabokov also teaches us how to be good writers.  Nabokov describes a superior writer as one who is innovative, original, and artistic.  He shares that in his experience with literature, juvenile writers seems to analyze and contort small portions of our world and its lessons, while superior writers recreate worlds and creates new ways of thinking that are unique.  Superior writers don’t write on menial matters, they write on broad subjects that are not included in traditional writings: things such as “time and space, the colors of the seasons, and the movements of muscles and minds.”  Furthermore, Nabokov wraps up these qualities into his definition of a good writer: one that is storyteller, teacher, and enchanter.  These three aspects of a good writer are all equally important in their own way.  Nabokov explains that a good writer must be a storyteller, one that in times relies on purely raw emotion.  An expert storyteller can wrap readers in for hours with simply entertaining stories.  A good writer must also be a teacher, one that educates his reader with new ideas that challenge the mind in new ways.  Any great novel has encompassing themes and ideas, that readers can learn and grow from.  Finally, a good writer must be an enchanter, whose influence is present in the writer’s style and appeal.  The enchanter adds that extra individualism into his/her writing that only that author can add.  Its this aspect that makes a novel a classic that can engross its readers for hours.

Jaret Wedow

Jaret Wedow

Jun 27, 2014, 6:49:35 PM6/27/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

According to Vladimir Nabokov’s “Good Readers and Good Writers,” some of the most important aspects of a good reader include paying attention to small details and not having generalizations and preconceived notations before reading the text.  Paying attention to small details in a text allows the reader to not only get a better understanding of the text, but also be able to comprehend the themes or messages the author conveys.  This attentiveness to details allows the reader to go deeper than getting just a general understanding of the text, and instead allows for a deep appreciation of the text and its underlying themes and messages.  If a reader does not have any generalizations and preconceived notations of a text prior to reading it, the true message of the text can sink in and influence the reader. If generalizations are made, however, “One begins at the wrong end and travels away from the book before one has started to understand it.”  In other words, the reader will drift away from the true meaning of the literary piece and will not be able to fully comprehend its message.  In summary, the ability to pay attention to small details and reading a text without any preconceived notations are two of the most important aspects of a good reader.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Tanner Cunningham

Jun 27, 2014, 8:52:23 PM6/27/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
In "Good Readers and Good Writers" by Vladimir Nabokov, many definitions of good literature are given in this article by Nabokov, but the most compelling description was that good literature always has "... mental excitement of the simplest kind," All famous novels have given us the joy of personal imagery and adventure, we think in our heads about what the writer wants us to feel and what to consider when we read literature. Good literature doesn't just appear, obviously, so we need to consider what exactly brings it into existence. The most instrumental piece is the writer, and what they can put out.  Nabokov describes a major writer as "a storyteller, as a teacher, and as an enchanter." he essentially means the writer drives our imagination to a more higher state of creativity, this of course gained through literature. This all gives the basic impression on what literature gives, all is in the limitations of the writer and what the reader has obtained through there intuition. In conclusion, Vladimir Nabokov defines good literature as having the ability to give our thoughts more of a retrospective on the reading material, maintaining a sense of commitment towards the piece and further interest into it.

Jillian Raycraft

Jun 27, 2014, 10:01:23 PM6/27/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

In reading Vladimir Nabokov's essay, "Good Readers and Good Writers," as well as the responses from my fellow classmates', it allows one to break the surface in understanding what it takes to write good literature and be on the receiving end, as a good reader. As Nabokov went in to quite depth about each topic, many points were conveyed. However, there were a select few pertaining to good readers that really drove home to me. The last thing that authors want from their readers is for them to begin a novel with their minds previously made up about the story that is told on each page. In Nabokov's investigation, that is not what makes a good reader nor does it give the respect to the author that he or she deserves. A good reader encompasses the concept of when reading literature of any caliber, they temporarily exit their own lives and enter the world that the author has made with his or her words. In doing this, the “good reader” allows their imagination to run wild alongside the storyline of the material. Nabokov states that writers intend for their readers to get lost in the story, but not to the point that the details are overlooked. When readers begin generalizing the material on the page, they lose sight of the intended meaning or message of the literacy piece; thus “good readers” in Nabokov’s eyes are able to find balance between noticing the finer details yet allowing their imaginations to take flight.

Claire Williams

Jun 28, 2014, 2:18:12 AM6/28/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

According to Vladimir Nabokov “literature is invention” and for this so called invention to occur, the writer must be able to use their imagination and create a story full of mystification and wonder.  A good writer is one who can portray a combined point of view as a “storyteller, teacher, [and] enchanter” therefor creating a unique piece unlike any otherThe writer must be able to take these three viewpoints and provide “mental excitement”, while letting the reader “grasp the individual magic” within their work.  Good authors must not only use just their imagination to create a magnificent piece, but add in essential points that appeal to the readers needs as well.  The writer must understand that the reader is looking for something to read that keeps them on edge wanting to read more and more.  Overall a good writer is one who can combine many factors to create a piece while using “simple facts” that leave the reader free to use their own imagination and ponder about the work of art.

Brittany Cordell

Jun 28, 2014, 1:10:37 PM6/28/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
The characteristics with which Vladimir Nabokov uses to best describe and define a good reader are that of "impersonal imagination and artistic delight". This "impersonal imagination" will keep the reader from becoming absorbed with trying to identify with the story personally. Once a reader contains and reads with this knowledge, they will be able to know when and where to use their imagination to see clearly the world the author creates, but to also understand comprehensibly the authors story. Nabokov believes that a good reader will place themselves within the authors imagination to not only understand him or her, but to also keep themselves from their own set of mind. To comprehend "artistic delight", is to, "see things and hear things, we must visualize the rooms, the clothes, the manners of an author's people". By doing thus, you will understand how to hold in high regard what the author creates. Nabokov deems these two together as a pair and once a reader acquires one quality, they will ultimately have the other. When a reader scrutinizes with "impersonal imagination and artistic delight" together, the reader posses's a true quality that Nabokov believes in to which will make a good reader truly appreciate an authors work.
The characteristics with which Vladimir Nabokov uses to best define a good writer are that of three facets: magic, story, and lesson. A great writer, defined by Nabokov, "is always a great enchanter" and he uses those three facets to tell his or her story. With great consideration, an author, by Nabokov's view, must create an original foundation out of pure imagination in order to separate themselves from work that middling authors do; in comparison to an adept author who writes great literature. Nabokov believes that good literature requires a free mind full of imagination to create a world that has been unseen. Any predetermined notions that a writer might use are of no quality in comparison to a writer who reinvents and creates a world that fits to their story and work correspondingly. Nabokov values such qualities in an author because he or she must first take into consideration the endless possibilities to use and then be "the first man to mop it and to form the natural objects it contains". Good literature comes from a creative and imaginative mind with the power to rely on what they have, looking deeper and constructing anew in obvious delay with that of literature from an unimaginative author.

Ashley LaBass

Jun 28, 2014, 4:33:23 PM6/28/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
A good reader, as described by Nabokov, is someone who is able to fully understand the author’s purpose and the deeper meaning the author is trying to convey to his audience. To be able to obtain this goal, a reader must have certain qualities that make this possible. Those qualities include, not having any preconceived ideas about any book they read, being a rereader and having a certain temperament. The first value is one of the most important because to really appreciate the author’s work the reader must not make any generalizations about the book they are reading. Making generalizations or connections that the author didn't mean for you can actually take away from the overall value of the piece of literature. Next, Nabokov stresses that, ”a good reader, a major reader, an active and creative reader is a rereader.” Rereading is an essential quality that a good reader does because the first time you read a book the physical aspect of moving your eyes back and forth across the page can make you just focus on what the story is about and not the precious details involved in telling the story. Paying attention to the small details is what can really define a good reader and allow the reader to appreciate the finer aspects of a book. Lastly, Nabokov states,”the best temperament for a reader to have, or to develop, is a combination of the artistic and the scientific one.” This certain temperament allows for a balance between the readers’ passion and the readers’ ability to fully respect the authors work. The scientific aspect allows for the reader to not become too subjective towards the book and the artistic aspect allows for the reader to still have passion and enjoyment in their reading. All three of the qualities are what allow for readers to fully understand the author’s deeper meaning and therefore be categorized as good readers.

Jillian Raycraft

Jun 28, 2014, 5:57:13 PM6/28/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

Many times in our lives, we are instructed not to try and reinvent the wheel but simply realign it. However, when it comes to being a great writer to Vladimir Nabokov’s standards, starting from scratch is the only way to create good literature. A good writer has the ability to create a story that has never been told before or can re-tell a story in a manner in which makes the author take ownership by purely using their imagination to form the story. According to Nabokov, a great writer blends magic, story and lesson into his or her own writing. Depending on how much magic, story and lesson they incorporate into their writing, the author can be considered a teacher, storyteller and/or enchanter. Nabokov heavily admires the quality of imagination in writers. The writer is faced with endless possibilities of what events he or she could put next in the story, yet he or she artistically continues correlating the world they make with their words, with the story. At the heart of creating great literature, is a writer who successfully incorporates their creativeness and endless imagination in a coherent story that leaves the reader inspired and wanting more.

Message has been deleted

Julie Tvrdik

Jun 28, 2014, 7:45:30 PM6/28/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

Nabokov expresses his view that one should not have an opinion of a book before he reads it, therefore not being fair to the author. He believes a good reader should possess an imagination, memory, dictionary, and an artistic sense. I agree with Nabokov's statement, "A good reader, a major reader, an active and creative reader is a re-reader." As you read a book you may be so interested in how the story ends, you may not be paying attention to the details and that's why a re-reader is a good reader. Just as in looking at a painting or watching a movie for the second time you pick up details you may have missed the first time.  In order to be a good reader, one needs to use his mind with impersonal imagination and artistic delight. However the good reader must know when and where to curb his imagination in order to get the details of the world the author is writing about.  A good reader combines artistic and scientific temperaments meaning not only is a good reader enthusiastic and passionate but maintains the patience of a scientist to enjoy good literature.

Julie Tvrdik

Jun 28, 2014, 8:21:22 PM6/28/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

Good literature is a form of art not just a story. It is invented. Good literature is a creation of a brand new world. The author studies this world with many branches od knowledge and creating a great fairytale.  Great literature surprises us with the author's expressive, unique way. The good author has no given values but lets loose his creativity. Nobokov's  essay describes a major writer as having a combination of three points of view, that of the storyteller, teacher, and enchanter.The three facets of a great writer is, story,  lesson and magic causing the reader to not want to put down the book. In Nobokov's opinion of good literature, with the merging of poetry and science, a piece of good literature will allow the reader to take flight.

Noah Crouch

Jun 28, 2014, 9:29:37 PM6/28/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

In Good Readers and Good Writers Vladimir Nabokov states that good literature is a fairytale produced by a great mind and is thus a great novel. Nabokov also states that great writers of literature take everything of our natural world into context not just the ordinary things one can recollect from your friendly neighborhood library. He also states, “ A great author has no given values at disposal: he must create them himself.” Nabokov implies that the art of writing and literature goes beyond what our eyes can see and makes the reader try to understand his novelty genius and wits to show imagery in his novels and poetry. Literature is an invention not something just thrown into the writers hands, and with this asset he/ she can show a teacher through their literature more then just the writer or author of a book. Nabokov lastly says a writer has 3 points of view: a storyteller, a teacher, and an enchanter, where the enchanter in a writer is expressed more and excels him/she above others. In conclusion, the three facets of a great writer- magic, lesson, and story- are to be blended in ones novel or story to show the true radiance of a writers mind and his being.

Message has been deleted

Laura Bairett

Jun 28, 2014, 9:55:25 PM6/28/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

The student who has not enjoyed Nabokov’s writ at a second, third, or fourth reading is doing something wrong. It is not our responsibility as readers to simply be acquainted with the contents of a work; rather, we must befriend it. Would you demand that any person change their nature to become your friend? Likewise, we as good readers must not try to make any book conform to our petty and limited expectations. By identifying strongly with a character or other element, the reader binds it under their own narrow preconceptions and chokes the truer life from the book. Metaphorically, we throttle Twain, Rowling, and Verghese every time we encroach upon their territories with our own trite nostalgias. The good reader should seek to become a citizen of the author’s fresh and foreign land, not to drag it down and sully it in the grime of their own weary world.

Laura Bairett

Jun 28, 2014, 9:55:54 PM6/28/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

Both the pen and sword have the ability to destroy, but only the pen can create. The sword tells harsh Darwinian truths, tales of death and dominion. The pen lies. In creation it mimics nature, the greatest deceiver of them all, and the writer who wields it becomes deity in his own world as Adam and Eve spring full-formed from beneath his pen. A great writer, in Nabokov’s opinion, is one who can spin an illusion which is part story, with its contingent pleasures, part instruction in fact and moral, and most of all enchantment. Interestingly, he places little to no emphasis on the importance of writing with an enjoyable style, believing that there exist masterpieces of “dry, limpid, organized thought.” Much like O’Brien of “How to Tell a True War Story,” Nabokov seems to feel that a well-told story is one that makes the stomach (or perhaps the spine) believe.

Noah Crouch

Jun 28, 2014, 10:15:24 PM6/28/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

A great reader is said to have many characteristics. However, described by Nabokov in Good Readers and Good Writers, a great reader needs to hone into the details of a novel. A great reader should also start a book or story like it is new to us, instead of having a ready-made generalization of the book, because if one may do this then the book will appear to seem or end up that way due to the extremity of your mind.  Nabokov also suggests that a great reader is one who has: an imagination, a memory, a dictionary, and some artistic sense. Where an imagination is used to broaden your reading and a good memory is to commemorate the details used by the author in the novel. A great reader is not just a reader with creativity but a re-reader of the novel. A reader who acts as a re-reader can then appreciate the ingenuity of one author or writer. Even though a reader must attempt to meet these rules he/ she must also keep in consciousness the golden rule Nabokov states, “A reader must not identify himself as a character in the book.” Then Nabokov also recommends a good reader to have a good sense and ability of passion and patience because, if the reader does not have these prerequisites, then they can’t grasp the author’s passion in the story. In conclusion Nabokov states that a great reader is one who reads with his spine, not his heart nor his brain, so the reader occurs a telltale tingle and can be detached at times.

Patrick Scholl

Jun 28, 2014, 10:39:07 PM6/28/14

On Saturday, June 28, 2014 6:55:25 PM UTC-7, Laura Bairett wrote:

[...]

The comparison made here is a very important and substantial one-

What immediately caught my attention about this post, and what caused me to post this reply, is the comparison of the relationship between the reader and the author and the relationship of two friends. It was something I thought of whilst reading, for the second time, the article by Nabokov, but could not quite succinctly put into words.

Take for example, the remark "Commel'on serait savant si l’on connaissait bien seulement cinq a six livres: "What a scholar one might be if one knew well only some half a dozen books"".

This is not only applicable to books- in every area of life, specialization is necessary. All members, I believe, of this group should understand this. To read once hundreds of books is analogous to the list of Facebook Friends we have- one sees a profile, and perhaps has a short, or even long, conversation with them, add them on Facebook, and then let them sit there- a name on a friends list. But there are friends whose worlds we are a part of- inexorably- perhaps not permanently, but at least while we are with them. This is what a good book should do. It should engross you, entertain you, befriend you, and sometimes, even, be there for you when you need it. It should welcome you to its world while you ask, and send you away with fond farewells when you must leave. It should delight you with its detail, and reveal, every time you return, another secret- one that you may have missed on the first, second, third or even fourth meeting.

In my childhood, I understood what it meant to be part of the world of a book. I recall that I truly loved one book in particular; a book many of us may have read, called Hatchet, by Gary Paulsen. I do, however, like to believe that I read it the most. During the course of a school year, I would read and reread the book up to 6 times. Each time, I experienced the same thrill as the first, and formed new ideas of what the world was like. The images became crystal clear, and razor sharp. Each time I approached the book I entered into it with the same curiosity and want to learn about the world created within.

This is something we lose over time- the world created in works such as Othello is obscured, made dreary, or overblown, by the fact that it is assigned in 10th grade English class. The story is understood, and possibly remembered, but that is not what is important about reading a book. What is important is becoming a part of the world, and that is something that is lost by English class in general. The same sort of obfuscation occurs with any book that is an assignment; whether it be Lord of the Flies (Which, for the record, I thoroughly enjoyed, and was in fact surprised to hear that many people did not) or All Quiet on the Western Front. Perhaps in later life we will revisit these books, and much like old enemies turn into new friends, we will learn the truths contained within, and be able to engross ourselves and integrate into the weave of the Author's genius.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Kyle Katzenmeyer

Jun 29, 2014, 12:43:35 AM6/29/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

To be a good reader, in Vladimir Nabokov's eyes is to be able to utilize many different skills. A few of these skills include imagination, the ability to analyze details, and never to compare one book or experience to another before completely understanding it. Among these skills, the very last skill mentioned is what I believe is what makes a good reader. Before beginning a piece of literature it is most important to first read and interpret the book with an open mind. The classic saying "Do not judge a book by its cover" continuously comes into Nabokov's argument as what he describes as a good reader. I completely agree with this statement for a number of reasons. Initially the reader coming into the new world created by the author has no previous ideas or knowledge that may infect the idea created in the book. In the author’s own words he says, “If one begins with a readymade generalization, one begins at the wrong end and travels away from the book before one has started to understand it.”  Nabokov encourages a “good” reader to enter the author’s world without bringing in previous knowledge or life experiences that shade the writer’s intended meaning.

To understand a good piece of literature, one must first become a good reader. Only after a reader has obtained these qualities may they begin to understand what good literature really contains. Many qualities that are seen in a good reader may be compared to important qualities of the writer. In Nabokov’s text he gives many examples expressing the need for an imagination for a writer to create an interesting new world. The writer must then create a good “original” idea to base his story off of. A good example of this originality is the theme for the Harry Potter series by J.K Rowling. By creating an entirely new world the author of these books created a common world with an interesting new addition to it. This brilliant showcase of imagination would be found in the core of every good readers mind and this one quality is the heart of good literature. An example of poor imagination and originality, I believe is the Divergent Trilogy. After completely analyzing this book I found many similar core ideas compared to the book The Hunger Games. In both books there is a girl who is different from the rest of her kind. Both teenage girls get tossed into struggles and deaths of loved ones that they must overcome. The author of The Hunger Games created a new, exciting world for her characters to live in. In my opinion the author of the Divergent Trilogy came too close to the world inside the Hunger Games and did not put enough imagination into creating her own world. The object of good literature is to transport the reader to the new place the author has created. The writer must make this place their own and in order to do that imagination must be the first ingredient in the making of a novel

sierra faulkner

Jun 29, 2014, 2:57:47 AM6/29/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
There are alot of characteristics that make up a good reader. One thing Vladimir Nabokov says is " we should always remember that the work of art is invariably the creation of a new world." This means that with every book we read or piece of art we look at is like a whole new world. Nabokov also says " the first thing we should do is study that new world as closely as possible." In other words we really have to examine this new world with a clear and open mind in order to understand it. If we first try to compare this new world to worlds we already know, we will not be able to comprehend and appreciate it to the fullest. Lastly Vladimir states " when this new world has been closely studied, then and only then let us examine it's links with other worlds." He is saying once we understand this new world to the best of our ability, then we can see how it may or may not relate to worlds we already know. These are some ways that can help us become good readers.

There are many ways to describe literature but, Vladimir Nabokov describes it as an "invention". I have to agree with him. With every book an author writes its like a whole new creation. Nabokov says " to call a story a true story is an insult to both art and truth." I can see why this is an insult because I'm sure most authors add their own flair to every story. That flair is what makes books unique and interesting. Vladimir indicates that a writer can be considered as a storyteller, teacher, and enchanter. Out of all of these the enchanter is what really makes a writer. This is what really brings out the fantasy and magic in a story. Which is pretty much the best part! The teacher let's us learn a lesson or educates us on facts. Lastly the storyteller is where we go for enjoyment or pleasure. These three point of views are what really make up a good writer.

Brandon Barragan

Jun 29, 2014, 5:20:43 AM6/29/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
In Vladimir Nabokov's essay titled "Good Readers and Good writers" Vladimir Nabokov states many of the qualities that a good reader should possess. One of the main qualities of a good reader that Nabokov states is that the reader must have a vivid imagination. A vivid imagination is very important for a reader to have because it immerses the reader in the story by helping him or her visualize details and paint a picture of what they are reading. A vivid imagination is also very important because it makes reading a very satisfying experience. Another quality of a good reader that Nabokov states in his essay is that a reader must have a good balance between a scientific and artistic mentality. It is very important for a reader to have a good balance of a scientific and artistic mentality, because by having a good balance the reader will be able to comprehend many more aspects of a novel than someone who is very one sided. A well balanced person will be able to comprehend more than a one sided person, because they will be able to think more effectively.

Brandon Barragan

Jun 29, 2014, 11:40:06 AM6/29/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
In his essay "Good Readers and Good Writers" Vladimir Nabokov states the qualities that he believe a good writer must have. One of the most important qualities that Nabokov states in his essay is that the writer must be imaginative, just like a good reader. It is very important for good writers to be imaginative because they need to be able to make their stories interesting and fun to read by being able to be very descriptive. It is also very important for good writers to be imaginative and creative because they are not then a lot of stories will be too similar and will not interest readers. For example just like Kyle mentioned earlier, the Divergent series was very similar to the Hunger Games, in fact it was too similar in my opinion so I thought that the Divergent series was too boring, which to me shows the importance of imagination and creativity when it comes to writing.
Message has been deleted

Ashley LaBass

Jun 29, 2014, 2:55:51 PM6/29/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
As defined by Nabokov, both a good writer and reader must have imagination and that imagination must be parallel to each other. Nabokov states that, “Literature is invention.” The author of this article is trying to convey that all good writers don't follow a set storyline, they create their own. A good writer reinvents the world in a different image, they don't follow the traditional patterns of fiction. Good writers fabricate a new reality in their writings, giving life to a new world. The next job of the writer is to discover and “form the natural objects it contains.”
The next part is up to the reader because the reader must utilize his/her own imagination to harmonize with the authors. Nabokov states that a good reader should not identify himself with the book, as it takes away from the purpose and overall affect of the author’s writing. The type of imagination that a good reader should use is “impersonal imagination and artistic delight.” By utilizing this type of imagination, the reader can better appreciate the author’s work.

Sebastian Retana

Jun 29, 2014, 2:56:33 PM6/29/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
Vladimir Nabokov the writer of “Good Readers and Good Writers” seems to give philosophical ideas on literature; he explains many philosophical ways of learning beyond the readings of literature. For instance he says there are four useful tools that we must have to be a good reader. First you must have an infinite imagination, the reason why we must have an imagination is so is that “the reader must know when and where to curb his imagination and this he does by trying to get clear the specific world the author places at his disposal”, but try to go beyond the writing to get into a new world, into the world of literature. The next one is having a memory, a memory to know what’s going on and to remember the details of a book or reading to piece all the details together to understand the message of the book. The next one is having a dictionary; this is the only tool that nobody can physically possess within themselves, a reader must have a dictionary to look up words they may have never heard of or simply doesn’t understand them so that he could understand the words and how they fit in the reading. The last one is having an artistic sense, it will be very boring if readers read books without an artistic sense, it will be like going to an art museum without enjoying the magnificent masterpieces, and we must have a bravura artistic sense to feel the imaginative rhythm and colors of literature.

Sarah Mayorga

Jun 29, 2014, 3:09:39 PM6/29/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
According to Vladimir Nabokov, being a good reader consists of having a certain mentality and focusing on aspects other than the obvious ideas and images presented in a book. One should "notice and fondle details" and not have a predetermined idea of the book or a generalization as that can hinder the reader from taking the path the author has laid out for them in the course of reading. A book should be approached as "the creation of a new world" and therefore should be studied due to the fact that it is brand new to us. Not until this "new world" is completely studied should it then be connected to other worlds we know of. A good reader must pay attention to details the author provides that allows them to enter a world where they can imagine all that is there in fine print. To Nabokov, a good reader "is one who has imagination, memory, a dictionary, and some artistic sense." Being a good reader is defined essentially by rereading. Without rereading, one cannot truly appreciate the deeper meaning and value of the book, but only it's various details. By connecting a book to ourselves, others we know and or knew, or certain sights or places, we can become a good reader as we have put our imagination to work in connecting different aspects of our world. The fun in reading comes from giving in in a sense to the authors own imagination. "We ought to remain a little aloof and take pleasure in this aloofness", says Nabokov. A combination of an "artistic and scientific" temperament allows a good reader to enjoy literature.

Sebastian Retana

Jun 29, 2014, 3:36:56 PM6/29/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
Vladimir Nabokov also mentioned other philosophical ideas that help us understand literature. He said in his writing “Good Readers and Good Writers” that “a good reader, a major reader, an active and creative reader is a rereader. And I shall tell you why. When we read a book for the first time the very process of laboriously moving our eyes from left to right, line after line, page after page, this complicated physical work upon the book, the very process of learning in terms of space and time what the book is about, this stands between us and artistic appreciation.” What he means is that the first time we read a book, we just do the physical work of moving our eyes around the different words, lines, and pages, to be a dynamic and imaginative reader, and we must reread the book so that we could clearly understand the book. For instance when I read All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque, I read the book during Winter Break to try to understand it before anybody, the first time I didn’t really understand, all I did was the physical work of moving my eyes, until when I read the book again for my English 10 Honors class I completely understood it, first I thought it was a novel based on what happened in World War I, but I was wrong it was more than that, it was novel based on the effects of modern warfare through a soldier’s mind, the thoughts of saying that war was not glorious due to deaths of millions in a matter of years.

Claire Mitchell

Jun 29, 2014, 4:19:06 PM6/29/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

Through his article "Good Readers and Good Writers," Vladimir Nobokov portrays what he believes are the characteristics of good readers and good writers. A good reader must have the ability to "notice and fondle details" to imagine the world that the author has created (1). The main qualities one must posses as a good reader, according to Nabokov, are someone who “has imagination, memory, a dictionary, and some artistic sense” (2). He believes that a good reader has the ability to take what the author states and use their artistic mind to find the deeper meaning in the book. Though, a good reader also has to create a balance between the artistic and scientific minds and sides of themselves. A reader who only practices their artistic mind may become subjective towards the text, but on the other hand one who only uses their scientific mind “is utterly devoid of passion and patience,” (3). By creating this balance, a reader is able to find the deeper meaning and the art of literature.

Claire Mitchell

Jun 29, 2014, 4:28:51 PM6/29/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

            Nabokov believes that a good writer “may be considered as a storyteller, as a teacher, and as an enchanter,” (4). He explains how all great novels are great fairy tales, and literature is invention. A good writer not only includes facts and real knowledge in their writing, but are able to blend it into a story and enchant the reader through “the individual magic of his genius and to study the style, the imagery, the pattern of his novels or poems,” (4). By incorporating all of these elements, the writer enables his or herself to excite the reader and at the same time fool them. Nabokov believes the true key to a good writer is one who possesses an original imagination and has the ability to create a whole new world in which the story takes place. The writer is able to tell a “true story,” though some of it may not be true. Good writers can enchant the reader, teach the reader, and entertain the reader on a whole new level, without the reader even knowing.

Mirelle Sandoval

Jun 29, 2014, 6:21:57 PM6/29/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

I think Nabokov wants us, the readers, to engage in an impractical manner of reading. What I mean is that a reader should not be reading the book with a fixed concept about the story but instead the reader should treat the book as a new work of art. As readers we should savor the book and not get entangled with every minor detail. I loved how the author urges the readers to create a bridge between them extending towards the world the writer vividly depicts. The bridge has to consist of imagination and humility. In order to capture all the ideas and messages from the writers, readers should pay close attention to the details, reread the book several times and find out its meaning, and create a connection with the writer which is enough to understand and enjoy the writer’s work yet still be able to make their own conclusions.

Good literature as he states should be able to capture the reader and charm them. It has to be creative and meaningful. Great writers should be the ones who can take readers into the worlds they have created and use their imaginations and experiences to convey all the images and messages to the readers in the most exciting ways. As he states, a “major writer combines these three- storyteller, teacher, and enchanted- but it is the enchanter in him that predominates and makes him a major writer.” What Nabokov means by this is that a piece of literature would be at its best when the creative side prevails the most. To Nabokov, a good reader is someone that has imagination, a good memory, a dictionary, and some artistic sense. He believes that reading is more than just interpreting something but someone that can get lost in the story; they can understand the writer and relate to it. Also, a good writer needs to know how to use magic, story, and lesson. He or she should be able to incorporate all three of these concepts into something that is interesting and that someone would want to read.

Brandon Divine

Jun 29, 2014, 9:02:18 PM6/29/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

Nabokov defines a good reader as someone who is able to notice the subtle details of the book that they are reading and appreciate them. He states that generalizing a book before you have even read it is unfair to the author and takes away from the enjoyment that you may have had if you had avoided creating an opinion of something you know nothing about. He also says that in order to make the experience most enjoyable, you must be able to pick up on the details of the world that the author created, without any opinion going into it, in order to fully immerse yourself in the book. Once the reader understands this new world, then they may try to connect it to other experiences. He states that a good reader is not actually a reader at all, but they are re-readers. When someone reads a book, they must create the image in their mind, as opposed to something like art, where the image is created for you. Therefore, we can just look at it and enjoy the details by observing. In books, once the reader has read the book three or four times, your brain is able to construct a mental image and the reader is then able to take the book in like a painting. The reader must be able to use their imagination, but must restrict it because the author’s imagination must be taken into account as well.

jeffrey sagan

Jun 29, 2014, 9:04:05 PM6/29/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
A good writer can only be as good as the great reader inside. A great writer however must take what he has read and throw away convention and start from scratch. Now many would ask "how can you do both?'" or "Don't those contradict?" and yes in one sense they do but they also lay the ground work for the greatest writers of all time.

I have a friend who is an author. He has told me almost exactly what Nabokov believes makes a good writer. My friends author "nick" name is M. Todd Gallowglass. What he told me was "A great writer needs to break the bounds of what has already been done and the constraints of the average reader. He must be willing to break a couple of the readers hearts as a beloved character dies but he most also bring with it a meaning or a message that will bring the great readers to understand and want more." (Micheal Gallowglass) This is very similar to Nabokov's idea when he says "The real writer, the fellow who sends planets spinning and models a man asleep and eagerly tampers with the sleeper's rib." (paragraph 5) What Nabokov means here is the great writer will bring a person to the reader, make them love and trust him, then "tamper" with him. Now when the writer does this he takes what he knows as a great reader and makes a lovable character. Then he takes it to the next step and throws away conventional writing to make his own rules and become the great writer Nabokov speaks of.

Brandon Divine

Jun 29, 2014, 9:28:35 PM6/29/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

Nabokov defines a good writer as someone who is able to deceive the reader and is a combination of a storyteller, a teacher and an enchanter. As a storyteller, the writer must be able to captivate his audience and appeal to their emotions to keep them reading and wanting to find out what happens. As the teacher, the writer must provide moral rules to abide by, as well as providing the basic facts that the reader may need to understand the story. As the enchanter, the writer must create his own “magic”, in the form of his writing style, imagery, and patterns of their books. Once the writer is able to blend all of these elements, he must then decide in what way he wants to present the story in order to make the reader enjoy the story. The ultimate goal of the writer should be to make the reader feel what he wants to express in his story, to make the reader read “…not with his heart, not so much with his brain, but with his spine.”

Sierra Hack

Jun 29, 2014, 9:59:51 PM6/29/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
I believe Nabokov wants the readers of his article to understand that in order to be considered a good writer one must be able to create a vivid picture of the story they are telling. If the writer can create a new world for the reader to experience it keeps the readers imagination going throughout the book. "The three facets of the great writer--magic,story,lesson" the writer must be able to combine all of these things into a book that makes the reader see things differently and challenges their perspective on reality. A good writer should not only be able to capture the readers attention, but also keep the reader interested and their imagination running.

A good reader should always start a book with a clear mind with no expectations on how the book is going to turn out. The reader must be able to imagine the story in their head as they are reading it. I agree with Nabokov when he says, "A good reader, a major reader, an active and creative reader is a rereader." I think that to fully understand the true meaning of a novel you have to read it more than once,because the first time you read it you are simply taking in all that the author has to say. When you read a book for the second time you notice little things that you didnt notice the first time around. To be a truly great reader you should be open to the alternate realities that can be portrayed through the magic of words.

Maddy Larson

Jun 29, 2014, 10:54:54 PM6/29/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

As many of you have discussed, a key point in Nabokov’s piece is to show the responsibilities associated with the reader as well as the responsibilities of the writer to form great literature. Nabokov believes there are three key things a reader should experience from great literature; magic, story, and lesson.  But the most important aspect to great literature is a skilled author, and according to Nabokov, a skilled author “… is always a great enchanter”.  But what is an enchanter? I believe an enchanter must be able to be cognizant of their own thought processes and imagination to take into account how their readers might portray their work. To appeal to someone and enchant them is to understand how they think, so as to relate and connect with them.  Nabokov says if an author masters this he will become a great deceiver and being a deceiver is also a key component of literature. Nabokov often describes how in order to be a good reader you must have and use your imagination but I believe this quality is just as important for the writer. A writer must have imagination to tell a story that hasn’t been told before; a writer must think outside the box and describe details and sounds and feeling ultimately deceiving his/her readers and providing the surprise of the unexpected.

Jackson Dwelley

Jun 29, 2014, 11:05:43 PM6/29/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
In the article "Good Readers and Good Writers" written by Vladimir Nabokov, he precisely defines a good reader as someone who is able to focus on the minuscule details within a story and the imagination to believe, see, and relate events in the story to their own life. Readers must be able to place themselves in the minds of the writers to fully understand and comprehend the text. There are many different ways a reader is able to understand texts as Nabokov states, “major readers, active readers, and creative readers." These different types of readers all have different styles and unique techniques in understanding the text, but Nabokov believes they are all good readers. To understand the writer and text more, a good reader must always keep their mind open and accept new ideals the writer puts forward. not only does Nabokov discuss what it takes to be a good reader, he also talks about the elements to good literature. the authors ability to create and define characters or events in text that captures the readers interest and utilizes their imagination. To be able to capture and sustain the readers attention throughout the whole story, defines a good writer.

chage...@gmail.com

Jun 29, 2014, 11:07:30 PM6/29/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
Nabokov states that "an active and creative reader is a rereader", telling us that good readers are people who enjoy reading, and read all the time.  To be a good reader you have to have an open mind, great imagination, and be able to visualize and understand what you are reading.  People who enjoy reading and read constantly are open to new ideas, new stories, and different ways of writing.  Reading a wide range of different books exposes readers to a ton of writing styles, including some that readers come across more than once.  I believe Nabokov says that active and creative readers are rereaders because they read over the same literature styles that they have experienced in the past.  Being good at something comes with prior knowledge, experience, and motivation which explains why good readers are good at reading; they find it exciting and continue to become the strong readers that they are.

Samuel Cornish

Jun 29, 2014, 11:13:12 PM6/29/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
In this article, Russian-English novelist Vladimir Nabokov has defined and described the qualities and habits a good reader should have. When one begins to read a piece of literature, he/she must treat the literature as a new world that has been constructed by the author.  That being said, the good reader should enter this 'new world' without any preconceived notions or opinions and only synthesize his/her own ideas after the piece of literature has been thoroughly analyzed.Once those ideas have been created, the reader can fully 'befriend' the literature he/she is reading. In addition, Nabokov goes on later in the article to describe the attitude that one should have towards reading literature, and that is to have "an artist's passion and a scientist's patience". Without these two abstracts, a reader would barely be able to enjoy good literature.By having a balance of passion and patience, the good reader limits himself from being too subjunctive and too judgmental and able to successfully enjoy and once again 'befriend' the good literature.

Chelsea Hagen

Jun 29, 2014, 11:29:46 PM6/29/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
In Nabokov's "Good Readers and Good Writers", he says that good writers are able to "express in their own unique way".  He explains that master writers have such an open mind that they don't have to stick to the normal stance of writing a story; they can use their imagination to appeal to readers in a way that other authors can't.  Nabokov tells us that minor authors don't try to think out of the box, and stay with the "traditional patterns of fiction".  These authors are most likely inexperienced, and aren't that successful compared to these master writers that Nabokov speaks of.  Books that are written in the same original way don't stand out and all blend in together when so many are read because they all start and end the same way.  Good writers take literature to a whole new level and write in ways that expose readers to different formats of writing, which stand out and are successful for being unique.

Samuel Cornish

Jun 29, 2014, 11:31:44 PM6/29/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

Not only does Nabokov elucidate the qualities of good readers, but he also exemplifies the aspects of good literature. Literature, as defined in the article, is an invention;the writer being the inventor. The writer must create his own tools to use at his disposal, not borrow them from another writer.To do so would only create second-hand fiction, not true literature that can be felt and believed.The literature he creates must make the good reader believe what is happening to be real, not with his mind or heart, but with his gut.He must be able to enchant the reader and capture his attention, as well as being moral while still entertaining with a story the reader can thoroughly enjoy and befriend. The writer must be a master of illusion,for Nabokov describes literature as an art. The ability for the writer to make the reader truly believe is what truly makes good literature.

Wesly Tonks

Jun 29, 2014, 11:42:27 PM6/29/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
A good reader, as defined by Vladimir Nabokov is one who is able to enter the world of good literature in an unblemished way and is able to completely integrate themselves into the world created by Literature. They are able to utilize all their senses in the writer’s imaginary world, and be engrossed in the story. A good reader also becomes an expert in all things about the work, and does not just read it once, but many times in order to do so. I myself believe that a good reader does not align his or herself with a character in the book, but rather watches from a distance, and knows and understands the motives of the protagonist as well as the antagonist. Put simply; a good reader is “one who has imagination, memory, a dictionary, and some artistic sense”

jaydene...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2014, 12:03:17 AM6/30/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

In the eyes of Vladimir Nabokov, being a good reader or a good writer requires certain abilities or traits. He believed that “A good reader, a major reader, an active and creative reader is a rereader”. This means that in order to be a good reader, the reader must reread the content in order to fully grasp the idea that the author wanted to share. Nabokov also believed that in order for one to become a good reader he/she must read “not with his heart, not so much with his brain, but with his spine”. By saying this Nabokov meant that a good reader is able to use both their heart and their mind when reading- combining intellectual knowledge and emotion. As most other people would say when describing a good reader, Nabokov also mentioned that a good reader uses imagination. However, what I find interesting is how Nabokov is able to separate two different types of imagination and explain them. Nabokov describes one type of imagination as “support to the simple emotions and is of a definitely personal nature” and the second type of imagination as when the reader “identifies himself with a character in the book”. According to Nabokov, the second type of imagination is “lowly” and he suggests against it. In conclusion, we learn that a good reader is one who can correctly use their imagination, combine their knowledge with their emotions, and can reread content until fully understood.

Ashley Cordeiro

Jun 30, 2014, 12:04:27 AM6/30/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

When discussing an excellent piece of literature, Nabokov uses a specific word to describe it- "magic." When he discusses the magical aspect of literature, he uses it to recount the endless feelings one receives when under the spell of a magnificent book.  The book makes one feel as if they are being encompassed by the world inside of the pages and experiencing what is occurring inside of that piece of work. It is important to receive that magical sensation in literature because it makes one feel as if it is worth the read. Something Nabokov also mentions is the importance of the point of view of the writer. The enchanter is the type of writing persona where the author succeeds in "the really exciting part when we try to grasp the individual magic of his genius and to study the style, the imagery, the patterns of his poems or novels." By giving the reader this sense of magic, the enchanter is able to write a fine piece of literature.

Cassidy Blanton

Jun 30, 2014, 12:06:13 AM6/30/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

            The relationship between author and reader is a delicate one at best. There must be a shared understanding between the two, a similar way of thinking, to make a true connection. Whether it be by the actions of the novel, the complexity of the characters, or even simply the tone, an author must use his tools to form this connection- to light a single spark that has the potential to grow into a large flame. Nabokov’s definition of good literature begins with a good author; the qualities of a good author include a few basic elements; firstly, a good author must possess a strong imagination. Without imagination a piece of literature quickly becomes dull; the more improbable, the more unique an author’s own imagination is, the more tools he equips himself with. Just as importantly, “the real writer…has no given values at his disposal: he must create them himself.” A good author does not merely improve the world he knows, he creates one himself, and in doing so creates good literature.

Just as important as a good author is a good reader. “Impersonal imagination” is a key phrase in how Nabokov defines a good reader; when a reader begins to associate themselves with a character in a work of literature, especially a figure as important as the main character, they set limits in their imaginative scheme. The reader will begin to form connections with the character that bound them; they judge the figures by their own personal strengths and weaknesses, instead of the character’s own. This is where paying attention to detail comes into play; a good reader must analyze every detail of a character, every last bit, in order to form an entire picture. Favorite colors matter. The names of pets should not go unnoticed. If the reader can form an unbiased painting in their mind for each character, and at the same time remain “a little aloof”, they will be able to see the story in the way the author intended it to be seen.

Patrick Scholl

Jun 30, 2014, 12:06:17 AM6/30/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
Literature must be inventive, and creative. It must break away from the confines of the real world because that is precisely what Literature is intended to escape. Literature can personify, condemn, praise or parallel the real world, but in the end it cannot be truly identical to reality. Another facet of great literature is its meticulous approach to creating a "real" world within itself. A reader, if he or she will go to the lengths to search for it, must be able to find, time and time again, new details which may surprise, may delight, or possibly may dismay, them. The world inside the book must be too complex for a single, cursory glance to take in the breadth of the detail which is encapsulated within it, filled with detail that a reader can discover, creating a more perfect image in the mind of the reader, which is what the author must initially create. An empty book is like a blank canvas, and the author is the painter; creating the world, detail by detail, until it is perfect.

Ashley Cordeiro

Jun 30, 2014, 12:19:38 AM6/30/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
Defining what it is to be an excellent reader seems very difficult, but Nabokov seems to have come up with the terms in which to be one. He believes that good readers need to notice the details in pieces of work in order to comprehend the main idea. He uses the analogy of  discovering a new world and states "With this new world has been closely studied, then and only then let us examine its links with other worlds, other branches of knowledge." Another trait a good reader should have is some sort of impersonal imagination. To have personal imagination is a bad thing because it only allows you to read what your mind want to read, not what the author intended the audience to read and imagine. When a reader sees the book through the author's eyes and imagines the work how the writer originally desired, then that mediocre reader turns into a great reader.

Claire Williams

Jun 30, 2014, 12:20:57 AM6/30/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

In this article, Vladimir Nabokov, expresses many points to define a complex definition of what it means for one to be a good reader.   Following the common known saying, don’t judge a book by its cover, Nabokov believes that the reader should approach “it as something brand new, having no obvious connection with the worlds” and ideas that are already known.  Once the reader has understood and studied the piece, then they can reach into their “other branches of knowledge” and use their imagination to appreciate the wonderful mysteries of the literature.  A good reader’s use of imagination is “the simple emotions and is of a… personal nature.”  One who is not the greatest “identifies himself with a character” and misunderstands what the author is trying to portray.  Adding to this point, when reading a piece the author’s mind and the reader’s must be in “an artistic harmonious balance”.  A good reader knows when to use his imagination and how to visualize the “specific world the author places at his disposal.”

Mallory Waldeck

Jun 30, 2014, 12:32:47 AM6/30/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

A good reader, according to Vladimir Nabokov in "Good Readers and Good Writers," is one who has the ability to completely enter the world of a literary piece, while maintaining an outsider's perspective. In doing so, the good reader must avoid use of comparison to their own experiences and never jump to conclusions, as this would negatively alter the artistic purpose of the author. To truly learn about the new world created by the author, Nabokov advises readers to read the given piece multiple times, allowing the piece to eventually form an actual, wholesome picture. Attention to detail is an extremely valuable skill a reader must possess, as entering the world of the piece should be something never before experienced by the reader. I believe the collective advisory offered by Nabokov is to begin a piece of literature with an open and willing mind, serving justice to both reader and author.

Jacob Smith

Jun 30, 2014, 12:39:14 AM6/30/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

What makes a good reader, in Nabokov’s eyes and also mine, is the ability to clear one’s mind, disregard hasty generalizations and be able to interpret the author’s message without being subjective. A good reader has the ability to use their own imagination to depict certain elements in literature to exemplify the sights and thoughts we read on paper, and turn them into master pieces in our mind. At the same time, a strong reader knows when to stop their own imagination, and picture themselves in the writers mind. One needs to identify between the true meaning of the piece and understand what is fiction, as that is what the writer wants the reader to extract from literature, a meaning and a purpose. Integrating themselves into the text, a good reader notices “the work of art is invariably the creation of a new world” and begins to assemble a mental picture of the complete story: every character, every scene and every explanation for a possible action taken throughout the piece. I would say the greatest tool a good reader could have is an imagination and a clear, undisturbed mind that is free of thought.

As for the qualities of a good writer that Nabokov exemplifies, they seem to run parallel to the desires of a good reader. Readers want an imaginative world, where they can exemplify the author’s text and turn it into a mental scene that seems to becoming real at the turn of each page. A good author must be able show that the piece of literature is actually happening around them by adding “time and space, the colors of the seasons, the movements of muscles and minds” in and between elements of the piece that create the authors meaning. By doing so, the author creates a fictional world that is not true in the sense of being a physical entity, but it is a living notion in the mind of the reader. This is what depicts a good author, their ability to throw the reader into a new world and present them with a seemingly ‘real’ issue in order to express the true meaning behind the mind of the creator.

Thomas Choonhaurai

Jun 30, 2014, 12:41:55 AM6/30/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
In Good Readers and Good Writers by Vladimir Nabokov, the author attempts to define the criteria a reader must meet to be viewed as exceptional. He states that a reader must thoroughly analyze what they read by rereading, while not taking every morsel of information as the complete truth. For example, if I were to write a story about an orphaned teenage girl on the modern day streets, I wouldn't ever want a historian using it as a historical reference for 2014. Nabokov also states that a good reader never connects themself to a story to make sense of it, that they need to treat each event as if they had never seen it before, without “objectivity”, while simultaneously genuinely caring about their reading and having the patience to tediously analyze the same content. This stands out to me as a reader because, in the past, what I have found as appealing is content that I best found relatable to myself.

Wesly Tonks

Jun 30, 2014, 12:47:11 AM6/30/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
In his article, Nabokov also defines good literature, and the good writer behind it. A good writer is able to be a storyteller, a teacher, and a writer, all in one. The storyteller entertains us, the teacher informs us or teaches us morals, and the enchanter is what makes us believe in the world inside the literature. The Literature that he creates inducts the reader, and is able to deceive them into thinking that the world inside the literature is real. This world is able to be felt and believed.  Good Literature is not based off of another piece of literature, it is constructed as a completely new and original work. The writer must also make his work moral, and and able to be befriended by the reader.

Thomas Choonhaurai

Jun 30, 2014, 1:03:10 AM6/30/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
In Good Readers and Good Writers by Vladimir Nabokov, the author makes many statements to show what he believes to be a good writer. To me, Nabokov is saying that good writings are determined by how well the writer ties fiction to reality using details that emphasize the possibility of the author's fictional situation being capable in real life. For instance, does the idea that Iron Man from the Marvel comic series could actually exist make it more interesting? It does for me. This idea supports the next statement I absorbed from Nabokov's passage: a good writer creates reality using details in fictional writing, to make things seem real. The author also says that imagination is a key element, and that a good writer deceives the reader, misleading them and catching them off guard. For example, a good plot twist. Lastly, Nabokov makes me believe that a good writer makes his own writing structure, a "house of cards", and when his story takes on success, it becomes a "castle of beautiful steel and glass"

Francisco Quintana

Jun 30, 2014, 1:06:59 AM6/30/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

In Vladimir Nabokov’s article Good Readers and Good Writers, Nabokov describes a set of qualities he deems essential to a good reader. Among these points is the “new world” rule, which states that a good reader should always approach the literature free of any ideas or preconceptions determined by personal preference in literature. Nabokov stresses that one should treat the work as something completely new, and be open to direction the literature takes you. To embrace the nature of the work just as you would embrace the customs and traditions of a new world (When in Rome, do as the Romans do) and refrain from trying to adjust it in a way that suits our own personal expectations. In addition, Nabokov puts emphasis on the importance of having an “impersonal imagination”. Having this means that the reader needs to use his/her imagination that does not have ties to the reader’s background. A good reader should not try to be character in the book, or compare it to his past. The reader should treat the story as its own independent realm, free of personal influence.

Ehren Engel

Jun 30, 2014, 1:11:12 AM6/30/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
In Vladimir Nabokov's "Good Readers and Good Writers", he defines a good reader as one who can take a new piece of literature and truly see it from unaltered perspective, without external influence or opinions from former literature. Nabokov goes on to say that to fully understand and enjoy a piece of literature a reader must be capable of feeling an artist’s passion for the art the writer is presenting, while also counter this enthusiasm with a scientific patience.  This allows a reader to be able to “notice and fondle” the details of the world created by the author, so that they can completely immerse themselves into the “new world” created by the author. Nabokov feels that the immersion into the world that the writer has created is crucial to being a good reader, as it is once the reader has placed themselves within the confines of the writer’s universe; they can then begin to understand the author’s purpose from within the piece itself. It is only once they have thoroughly analyzed the literature, when they are able to form their ideas and sentiments toward the piece itself.

Tanner Cunningham

Jun 30, 2014, 1:17:10 AM6/30/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

Vladimir Nabokov, in his piece "Good Readers and Good Writers", points out in many cases what defines a good reader. All are very conclusive in what it means to being a good reader, but within his words, he mentions two important lines which I personally admire; "... one cannot read a book: one can only reread it." and "learning in terms of space and time what the book is about,". Nabokov's first line mentions that re-readers, those that thoroughly analyze the depth in artistic development and creativity of the literature, are the only proper readers. He goes on to say that those who read a piece of literature (comparing the same experience to looking at a painting) are the ones who understand the material and look at its mental interpretation. Nabokov goes on to say that simple readers don't grasp the material nor experience its artistic intention. The second excerpt I found focuses on the time and ability to take in the artistry. Obviously, the reader needs to have a firm understanding on what the literature is trying to express and how, but Nabokov is most likely trying to say that the reader's mind needs an expressway to fully understand and interpret the literature. Time is needed, along with personal capability, to gain that point of expression. The two lines I focused on, defined a good reader as one who interprets and relays the depth within a piece of literature.
Message has been deleted

Mallory Waldeck

Jun 30, 2014, 1:31:15 AM6/30/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

“Good literature,” as defined by Vladimir Nabokov, is created by an author who has the ability to find a balance of being, “…a storyteller, a teacher and an enchanter,” (4). The reader depends on each of these roles to fulfill the desire for a fictional paradise provided by an author’s piece of literature. The storyteller provides the excitement and emotion a reader feels. The teacher provides moral, as well as handy pieces of valuable information. Most importantly, the enchanter provides the reader with the sense of realism. They allow the reader to believe the story is happening around them by deceiving the reader with their, “…magic, story, lesson,” (4). Good literature is the result of a crafty author who can add each of these elements into their work and give readers the opportunity to not only observe their art work, but also feel the story  intended by the author.

Stefany Pineda

Jun 30, 2014, 1:41:53 AM6/30/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

When we were young, we had the definition of a good reader as someone who could read fast without stopping, but that was merely being able to repeat words at a rapid pace, now we realize that in order to be a good reader there is a lot more than simply knowing words.  Like Vladimir Nabokov mentioned a good reader must be able to fully understand the message the author is trying to convey, have the correct attitude while reading, and have an artistic sense.

To be able to fully understand a piece of writing the reader must pay close attention to microscopic details before trying to obtain the bigger picture, because only “when this new world has been closely studied, then and only then let us examine its links with other worlds” as mentioned by Nabokov. He adds to this by encouraging rereading the piece of writing, because our brain requires of us to repeat in action to better comprehend what is being presented.  If we do not pay attention to the small hints the author hides between his words, how could we ever know the real story behind the letters?, Nabokov considers the disregard of details almost like an insult to the writer, but according to him if you do as you are supposed to and are almost detective-like when reading, you will be enlighten with the truth the author has created in his writing.

Another crucial aspect of a good reader is his attitude while reading. Vladimir Nabokov  explains that the reader must be aware that the story being told is not necessary the true story, because the writer adds his own flavor to the story and creates a more magical atmosphere, therefore the reader should not take the words in a best seller as complete and correct truth, that would be as Nabokov said, naïve. The second step while reading is to avoid making familiar connections to our own life’s in order to identify ourselves with the characters, because Nabokov thinks that “this lowly variety is not the kind of imagination I would like readers to use”.

Sarah Mayorga

Jun 30, 2014, 1:43:33 AM6/30/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com
To be a good writer to Vladimir Nabokov is to be a storyteller, a teacher, and an enchanter. A good writer has the task of entertaining us as the readers to take into account all the details that are set forth for us to decipher along with consider and connect to our own imagination. One can then become a good reader. A good writer also has the ability to create their own world without preconceived ideas, places, etc. Using magic, story, and lesson makes up good literature as the author himself creates his own ideas and allows the reader to become enticed with the style, imagery, and pattern of his writings. A good writer breaks the norm of trying to "squeeze the best they can out of a given order of things, out of traditional patterns of fiction." To be a good writer is to be a great deceiver as a new plot and details are created that allows the reader's imagination to be put to use and also sways the reader to a conclusion in which he understands the value of the story. With imagination, a good piece of literature can be enjoyed by a good reader.

simran dhillon

Jun 30, 2014, 1:43:50 AM6/30/14
to dhs-ap-lite...@googlegroups.com

Literature, if written in the correct form can create a second dimension, a dimension far different from reality. This concept was discussed in Nabokov’s  "Good Readers and Good Writers" In this article, Nabokov states that “literature is invention” which can be deciphered to present the message that creating a decent piece of literature requires one to start from scratch, to innovate and create something new instead of going along a set path, it should show a different view of the topic at hand and should not go along with what is known to be as the norm. This new piece of literature should take the reader on a voyage into another world, a world where imagination and creativity reign kings of the vast amount of possibilities which could come to be in that article of writing.  Thus, after much thought and contemplation, I can come to conclude that Nabokov’s Ideal Piece of Literature would take the reader into another realm where he/she has never traveled to before.

It is loading more messages.