Please join us for our virtual (live) digital technology roundtable

2 visualitzacions
Ves al primer missatge no llegit

Akiko Walley

no llegida,
12 de març 2022, 18:28:3612/3/22
a Digital Humanities Japan
Dear all,

I am happy to announce that the steering committee members of the Pre-modern Japanese Religion Workshop will be hosting a digital technology roundtable at AAS on Friday, March 25, 1:30-3 pm HST. It will be virtual live. Please find detail below.

We would appreciate it if you could join us!

Truly,
Akiko

Akiko Walley
Maude I. Kerns Associate Professor of Japanese Art
Department of the History of Art and Architecture
University of Oregon

********
[Panel detail]

Digital Technology

Digital Technology Roundtable

D-V37: Periphery as Center: Possibilities and Challenges for Post-COVID Digital Workshops

Friday, March 25, 2022

1:30pm – 3:00pm HST (Hawaii)

Location: Virtual

Virtual Organizer(s)

Asuka Sango

 Carleton College, United States

Eric Swanson

 Loyola Marymount University, United States

Chair(s)

Akiko Walley

 University of Oregon, United States

Discussant(s)

Akiko Walley

University of Oregon, United States

Kenji Matsuo

 Yamagata University, United States

Jun Fujii

 Komazawa University, Japan

Asuka Sango

 Carleton College, United States

Eric Swanson

 Loyola Marymount University, United States

Session Abstract:

In August of 2020, Pre-modern Japanese Religion Workshop series (PJRW) was launched to explore the potential of digital space to rectify the inequality in access to people and resources between the center and peripheries of the global and transdisciplinary Japan Studies. Interpreting “peripheries” geographically as outside of the Japanese metropolises (chihō) and overseas, and figuratively as the cutting-edge research by colleagues beyond the narrow definition of scholars, our Zoom workshops problematize and decenter academic knowledge production by inviting not just professors, but also curators from academic and public museums, conservators, independent scholars, officers in prefectural government sectors, and graduate students in Japan, the United States, Canada and Europe.

PJRW was never meant to be a mere “triage” solution or an alternative to in-person meetings. Instead, it aspires to reconceptualize the meaning of intellectual access and scholarly exchange. As we resume in-person events, we must ask whether the strategies we cultivated to connect via remote tools can serve as a new norm of sustained scholarly exchanges and of more open and equitable academia. In this roundtable, the five members of the PJRW steering committee will discuss the possibilities and challenges of using Zoom for global academic workshop series, issues that arise when hosting presenters with diverse research and professional backgrounds, benefits of Zoom Conference vs. Webinar platforms, strategies for interpretation and translation, and active use of Chat and Breakout Room functions to facilitate international scholarly exchange.

Matsuo Kenji will discuss the use of digital platforms to introduce new discoveries made in peripheral institutions in Japan.

 Fujii Jun will discuss the challenges faced by Buddhist communities in contemporary Japan, how it informed the genesis of PJRW, and the benefits of using Zoom as a platform to address these issues.

 Asuka Sango will discuss the potential of the digital platform in enhancing the research productivity of and collaborative research opportunities for liberal arts faculty.

 Eric Haruki Swanson will discuss strategies for bilingual communication and potentials for international and interdisciplinary collaboration in a “post-COVID” world.

 Akiko Walley will discuss the utility of the Breakout Room function in an intensely discussion-based academic workshop.

Respon a tots
Respon a l'autor
Reenvia
0 missatges nous