DHIS2 Instance Experiencing Deadlocks

Barnabas Akumba

Jun 6, 2018, 1:32:53 PM6/6/18
to DHIS2 system administrators
Hello Admins,

I just fixed my instance and upgraded to 2.29. I noticed that the instance comes to a halt/deadlock frequently. I always need to stop the instance and restart.
I had a look in the logs (catalina.out) and discovered a line which is suspicious:

Jun 06, 2018 6:17:18 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke
SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet [webapi] in context with path [/dhis] threw exception [Handler dispatch failed; nested exception is java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded] with root cause
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded

Could this be the cause of the issue? Any one with a suggestion of how to quickly get around this?

Your usual prompt response will be appreciated.

Regards

--

Barnabas AKUMBA

Skype: barnabas.akumba

Bob Jolliffe

Jun 7, 2018, 10:35:30 AM6/7/18
to Barnabas Akumba, DHIS2 system administrators
Hi Barnabas

This does look like what it says on the tin .. you are out of memory.

There is no quick answer to how exactly to fix. It will depend. You
need to increase the amount of heap space available for java jvm
(-Xmx). How much you can do depends on (i) how much memory do you
have (ii) what else is running (eg postgres) and how much have you
allocated to that.

If you are using dhis2-tools and the instance is called dhis2 then you
will find the file to modify at /var/lib/dhis2/dhis/bin/setenv.sh. of
Generally you want at least 2G of heap for a fairly small setup.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dhis2-system-administrators/CAF5odxToo%3DfSYwXUCuo7dQCDUUpyq9hoi9vum%2BYvossBo4%2BdCQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Barnabas Akumba

Jun 7, 2018, 10:41:22 AM6/7/18
to Bob Jolliffe, DHIS2 system administrators
Hello Bob,

You are right. Got some help from Renier. My setup is a large one so 2GB wasn't enough. I have increased it to 8GB and that seems to have solved the issue.

Regards

Bob Jolliffe

Jun 7, 2018, 11:23:04 AM6/7/18
to Barnabas Akumba, DHIS2 system administrators
Great. Nice to see people helping each other out :-)