resource provisioning

Bob Jolliffe

Feb 18, 2019, 10:27:08 AM2/18/19
to DHIS2 system administrators
Hi all

Over the years I cannot count the number of times I have been asked
about resource provisioning. How big a server do I need etc. It is a
generally a difficult question to answer other than with "it depends
...". I usually end up doing a thumbsuck related to some similar
implementation somewhere else but its not at all scientific. It would
be great to try and gather some metrics from around the place (people
on this list!). A simple form with some basic usage stats together
with some sizing info would be a good resource to make and share.

But meanwhile I have an immediate question to which I don't have a
ready answer: "How much bandwidth do I need to budget for a DHIS2
instance with say 350 users and some tracker and some aggregate
data?". It is an important question to have a rough answer to as it
has to do with making a budget. (In general I have found DHIS2 is not
particularly bandwidth heavy though the situation can be made more
complex shipping backups off site).

Obviously the "some" would need some unpicking. And what exactly is
meant by bandwidth in this context. But does anyone have any ideas
about a good way to go about answering that sort of question? Better
still, does anybody have any stats or rule of thumb. I am thinking
some of the hosting providers like BAO, HISP SA, HISP India or HISP
Geneva with many instances might have come up with some rough methods.

Cheers
Bob