DHC-NC Roundup [December 3, 2022]

Digital Humanities Collaborative of North Carolina

Dec 3, 2022, 8:37:19 AM12/3/22
to dhcol...@googlegroups.com

DHC-NC Roundup

If you would like to share upcoming local events, virtual events, or other news, please complete this form or forward the information to dhcol...@gmail.com.

Events

Munch & Mull Digital Scholarship Discussion: Global Debates in the Digital Humanities

Duke University Libraries

Where: Virtual

When: December 5, 2022 | 12:00 pm EST

Registration URL

The latest entry in the Debates in the Digital Humanities series, Global Debates in the Digital Humanities (2022) confronts digital humanities' identity problem. Authors push for the field to confront its Western- and Anglo-centrism by highlighting projects and perspectives from the Global South.

Fiormonte, D., Chaudhuri, S., & Ricaurte, P. (2022). Global Debates in the Digital Humanities. Minneapolis: University of Minneapolis Press.

For this Munch & Mull discussion, we encourage everyone to read a chapter that interests them and bring some reactions or questions, ideas or insights to share with the group. If you just want to listen and ask questions or don't get anything read ahead of time, please come anyway! We always have a few people ready to lead off discussion and welcome your engagement in the conversation. Many thanks to Luo Zhou (Chinese Studies Librarian) and Diego Godoy (Librarian for Latin American, Iberian and Latino Studies) for leading us in this discussion!

Society of American Archivists Web Archiving Section Coffee Chat: Research Use of Web Archives

Society of American Archivists

Where: Virtual

When: December 6, 2022 | 1:00 pm EST

Registration URL

Dr. Ian Milligan will explore some research use cases for web archival data, and explain what we have done in the Archives Unleashed project to try to “unleash” web archival collections for research use.  Ian Milligan is professor of history at the University of Waterloo, where he is also Associate Vice-President, Research Oversight and Analysis. Milligan’s primary research focus is on how historians can use web archives, as well as the impact of digital sources on historical practice more generally. Since 2017, Milligan has been principal investigator of the Archives Unleashed project.

Growing Greater: Digital Storytelling & Black Food Justice

African American Digital & Experimental Humanities, University of Maryland, College Park.

Where: Virtual

When: December 8, 2022 | 5:00 pm EST

Registration URL

AADHum (African American Digital & Experimental Humanities at UMD) is pleased to present Growing Greater, an Open Lab on digital storytelling and Black food justice. We will preview “Growing a Greater Englewood,” (Change Agents the Podcast season 2, episode 3) an audio story profiling one organization’s work toward Black community food sovereignty, followed by a talkback with members of the organization and production team. The Open Lab will end with a digital storytelling workshop based on the podcast episode. Join us as we explore stories of Black community food justice through audio and visual media!

Open Mic

If, Then: Technology and Poetics

Where: Virtual

When: December 9, 2022 | 1:00 pm EST

Registration URL

We are looking ahead to our next event (and last event of 2022)—our year-end Open Mic on Friday, Dec. 9 at 1PM Eastern!! Come share your work and support your friends and fellow artists and thinkers! As usual, we're thinking 10-minute slots where folks can read poetry, share creative or critical projects, or lead short discussions about the questions you'd like to see addressed in our future sessions. If you'd like to participate in the open mic, please fill out this RSVP form so that I can set up a schedule—we have slots available that are first come, first serve! And, if you don't have anything quite ready to share yet, still plan on coming out to support and please RSVP—there is so much brilliance in our group and so much to be learned.

This event is part of If, Then: Technology and Poetics, a collaborative, public, and interdisciplinary virtual working group and workshop series promoting inclusivity and skills-building in creative computation. Check out our website here and get in touch with Carly Schnitzler (csch...@live.unc.edu) or Lillian-Yvonne Bertram (lber...@northeastern.edu) with any questions or suggestions.

Mass Data Methodologies

Paul Mellon Centre

Where: Virtual

When: December 9, 2022 | 12:00 pm GMT

Registration URL

What does it mean to think about art history beyond the singular; to think about the mass rather than the individual, about patterns and populations? And how do artistic populations represent or intersect with the larger, political entities – community, class, nation? How might art-historical research mirror, extend or interrogate the instruments of data collection used in other contexts, including audits, censuses and surveys? Why perform this kind of historical work? What do we need this research for? What is gained and what is lost when focusing on the “mass” rather than the singular “case”? What does thinking about mass data do in relation to the canon? Does it destabilise, extend or amplify? How is mass data reshaping the discipline of art history itself?  This online workshop will consider such questions through a series of presentations delivered online, which will include presentations, demonstrations of databases, visualisations and online resources, discussions and debates.

Mass Data Methodologies

ATNU Virtual Speaker Series: Texts All the Way Down: The Intertextual Networks Project

Animating Text, Newcastle University

Where: Virtual

When: December 12, 2022 | 4:00 pm GMT

Registration URL

This paper will share the Women Writers Project's newest publication, Women Writers: Intertextual Networks (WWIN). The WWP’s flagship resource Women Writers Online (WWO) collects approximately 450 works from the sixteenth to the nineteenth centuries, a watershed period in which women’s participation in the authorship and consumption of texts expanded dramatically. With the new WWIN interface, users can discover the many ways that pre-Victorian women writers engaged with and helped to produce early literate culture through their citations, quotations, references, allusions, and more. To create this resource, the WWP team identified all of the texts referenced from within the WWO collection, and linked these to a bibliography that currently contains more than 4,000 items. The WWIN interface includes 12,000 quotations, 7,000 citations, 5,000 titles, and hundreds of other forms of intertextuality. As such, this project can offer a model of large-scale bibliographic data wrangling among a complex set of primary sources. We will share insights and challenges from this project, discussing strategies for modeling, enabling discovery, and revealing complex layers of textual data and textuality among not only a primary corpus but also a related collection of texts.

On the Margins Conference

School of Advanced Study, University of London

Where: Virtual

When: December 15–16, 2022

Registration URL

We invite members of the Hypertext, Electronic Literature and Digital Humanities communities, including PhD and Early Career Researchers, to come together for a two-day conference reflecting on how Hypertext has shaped our research and creative practices, to build research opportunities between sympathetic communities, and to envision how to push the boundaries of Hypertext beyond its current incarnations. We want to inaugurate a space that will promote debate and connections, building new understanding at the crossroads between disciplines.

DEFCon Speaker Series: A Q&A on Teaching Digital Humanities

Digital Ethnic Futures Consortium

Where: Virtual

When: December 15, 2022 | 1:00 pm EST

Registration URL

Are you an instructor who wonders how to build a relationship with a librarian colleague? Are you a librarian who wants to ask for advice on collaborations with faculty and students? Want some advice on a platform or methodology for a project? Join us with your questions at the ready!   Bio: Tatiana Bryant is Director of Teaching, Learning, and Research Services at Barnard College. leads the Personal Librarian (PL) team, who provide specialized research and instruction services for all Barnard students and serve as subject liaisons to all academic departments. Before joining Barnard she held a variety of academic library positions, most recently as the Research Librarian for Digital Humanities, History, and African American Studies at the University of California, Irvine. She earned a MPA from New York University, a MSLIS from Pratt Institute, and a B.A. in History from Hampton University.

Developing Digital Curricula and Competencies

Digital Curriculum Project, Aarhus University

Where: Virtual

When: February 23, 2023 | 10:00 am CET

Registration URL

The webinar will present the key results from the evaluation of the Danish project Digital Curriculum. What are the major drivers and barriers for transformation of a degree program towards a more digitalized curriculum? What are the key elements in a successful organizational change process?

Unlocking the Potential of Digital Humanities

Dalhousie University Data Champions

Where: Virtual

When: February 1, 2023 | 12:00 pm AST

Call for Papers URL

This workshop is designed to introduce social sciences and humanities researchers to artificial intelligence tools that can open up new avenues for their research. This session introduces users to optical character recognition (OCR) and natural language topic modeling using archival issues of the Dalhousie Gazette (the oldest student newspaper in North America) as source material.

Calls for Papers and Participants

RRIII 2023: Digital Cultural Studies Co-Operative

Submissions due December 13, 2022

Call for Papers URL

This conference aims to bring together scholars from across disciplines to examine the nearly half century

span of Star Wars media as cultural texts. We invite scholarly and creative interventions with an explicit focus on themes of resistance and justice. How do these films and other media objects contribute to, reflect on, or depart from broader contemporary cultural practices and social discourses? The Digital Cultural Studies Co-operative invites proposals of individual papers, panels, academic posters and infographics, media objects (critical making, comics, video, Twine, or performance), and methodology or other workshops. Submit 250-word abstracts via this Google Form no later than midnight Central Time (US) on December 13, 2022. All submissions will undergo transparent peer review. Every effort will be made to accommodate international and early career and student scholars to facilitate their participation. All interactions are governed by the DCSCO Statement of Inclusion and Accessibility. This virtual conference will take place May 4-6, 2023.

The Art Historical Image in the Digital Age Call for Participants: Digital Art History, Getty Research and Union College

Submissions due January 23, 2023

Call for Papers  URL

The Art Historical Image in the Digital Age is a two-week summer seminar in Florence that will explore ways that digital materials have transformed research practices in the field in both conceptual and practical ways. What constitutes image data? What are the principles, conventions, and structures by which archives, museums, libraries, conservation labs, and scholars classify, organize, and use this data as it moves from single reproductions to digital repositories to our own personal research workspaces and eventually to publications? What are some of the continuities and discontinuities between analogue and digital formats?  What are some of the new relationships between image-based and object-based research facilitated by digital materials and computational methods? What kinds of opportunities might this interrogation present to think strategically about the development of a more global, inclusive art history? Participants in this seminar will engage with these questions by considering the art historical image and its complex material and digital ecosystems. To apply, please send a current c.v. (max 3 pages) and a 500-750 word statement on your research area and how your work might benefit from the seminar to David Ogawa (oga...@union.edu).  The application deadline will be 2 January 2023, and we will notify participants of acceptance by 23 January 2023.

Job Posting

Assistant or Associate Professor of Digital Humanities: The University of Southern Mississippi

Applications due January 1, 2023

Job Posting URL

The School of Humanities invites qualified applicants for a full-time, 9-month, tenure-track Assistant or Associate Professorship in Digital Humanities. Area of specialization is open, but only candidates who are demonstrated digital scholars with expertise in fields taught in School of Humanities (SoH) programs — English, History, Philosophy, and Religion — will be considered. Successful candidates will be expected to apply for major grants to support their work and DH programming in the SoH, and serve in a consulting role for SoH faculty and students working in the Digital Humanities.  Financial support for the first summer is available.