📰 News from the DHC-NC | November 2023

Digital Humanities Collaborative of North Carolina

Nov 8, 2023, 6:01:25 PM11/8/23
to rhea....@unc.edu

Digital Humanities Collaborative of North Carolina logo

DHC-NC Monthly Newsletter
November 2023

Updates, events, opportunities and more from the Digital Humanities Collaborative of North Carolina.

We know it's been a while since our last newsletter, but there are updates in the works! (Keep reading for more.)

Have an update, story, event, opportunities or something else digital humanities-related? Send it our way and we'll share it in our next newsletter.

Share with us

DHC-NC News and Updates

We have new executive board members

In August we announced our current executive board. In December, look for a story introducing the group.

For now, here are our executive board members:

  • Jamie Harr, President, Christian Brothers University and NC State University
  • Emma Stanley, President-Elect, NC State University
  • Donna Kain, Immediate Past-President, East Carolina University
  • Tanya Walker, Secretary, Winston-Salem State University
  • Rhea Hebert, Communications Manager, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Browse board member bios

Giving Twitter the aXe

You may have noticed that we've decided to retire the DHC-NC Twitter/X account.

In the coming weeks, you'll notice the feed leaving our website.

We're weighing multiple options for DHC-NC social media and we'll let everyone know where to find and connect with us as soon as the dust settles!

We're updating our newsletter

Hopefully you noticed our newsletter's new look.

We're in the process of updating how we send and track emails from the DHC-NC. We want to make it easier to share your news, events, updates, opportunities and projects. And we want to make it easier for our executive board to keep you updated on what's happening!

As we investigate efficient, affordable options, this is a preview of newsletter changes to come.

We want to hear from you - share your feedback on the new newsletter look.
Let us know what you think

We're updating our website

It's not just our newsletter that's getting a refresh. Our website will be getting some updates in the coming weeks, too.

Our focus is on making the website relevant, current and accessible. And we're excited about creating a hub for all things digital humanities in North Carolina.

Is there something you'd like to see on our website? Let us know!
Share your web content suggestions

Events

Save the date - and be a program chair - for the 2024 Digital Humanities Institute

The 2024 Digital Humanities Institute is on our minds. As we begin planning, we have two to-do items for our members:
  1. Save the tentative dates: May 17 - 18, 2024
  2. Volunteer to be a program chair!
This year, we're asking you, our members, to help us put on the best Digital Humanities Institute yet.

Get involved - program chairs will lead a topic area: from call to acceptance to supporting presenters, help shape the 2024 program.
Be a program chair

The Image of the Book: Representing the Codex from Antiquity to the Present

November 20 | 1:30 PM Eastern

A great deal of recent research has focused on the objecthood of the pre-modern book and its associated materiality.

But only sporadic attempts have been made to understand the role of visual representations of the book in conveying ideas about knowledge. How can our understanding be transformed when the dictum that “a picture is worth a thousand words” is put into practice, when the how of depiction is accorded as much importance as the what of textual content?

This symposium will examine the means by which the book, and in particular the manuscript, is described across a wide variety of media, from painting and sculpture to digital media and film. Topics to be addressed include the book as a symbol of authority, wisdom, or piety; the visual archeology of otherwise vanished bookbinding styles, reading practices, and study spaces; and the re-imagining of the physicality of the codex through digital means.

🎉 The event will also mark the public launch at Penn Libraries of the Books as Symbols in Renaissance Art (BASIRA) project, an innovative, public-access web database of thousands of depictions of books in artwork produced between about 1300 and 1600 CE.

The database, like the symposium itself, aims to engage historians of religion, literacy, art, music, language, and private life, as well as book artists, conservators, and interested members of the public. The symposium is organized in partnership with the Rare Book Department of the Free Library of Philadelphia (view on map).

The program will begin Thursday evening, November 16 at 5:00 p.m., at the Free Library of Philadelphia in the Rare Book Department, with a reception and keynote address by Jeffrey Hamburger, Kuno Francke Professor of German Art & Culture, Harvard University.

The symposium will continue November 17-18 at the Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts (view on map).

The symposium will be held in person with an option to join virtually. All are welcome to attend.

Thanks to Barbara Ellertson for sharing - and congrats on this launch!

Register for The Image of the Book

If, Then: Technology and Poetics

November 20 | 1:30 PM Eastern
An acclaimed working artist and Guggenheim Fellowship recipient, Kameelah’s practice focuses on the pleasures, politics, and poetics of Black knowledge production and information technology.

In this workshop, we will explore Saidiya Hartman and Emily Dickinson's language of "waywardness"; Fred Moten's question - "Is there an underground railroad in the sentence?" in conversation with Renee Gladman's work; and Clarice Lispector's assertion that "writing is a method of using the word as bait..."

Participants will engage in a range of activities alongside a mini-lecture and an invitation to begin designing their own writing constraints and scores.

For some pre-reading, Rasheed invites you to read:
This event is part of If, Then: Technology and Poetics, a collaborative, public, and interdisciplinary virtual working group and workshop series promoting inclusivity and skills-building in creative computation. Get in touch with Carly Schnitzler (csch...@jh.edu) or Lillian-Yvonne Bertram (l...@umd.edu) with any questions or suggestions.
Register for If, Then: Technology and Poetics

Opportunities

Call for Submissions: GSC's Digital Humanities Showcase

Submissions due Friday, December 15

The GSC is seeking presenters for the second edition of its Digital Humanities Showcase, scheduled to take place over Zoom on 30th January, 2024.

We invite scholars in any field or discipline of global medieval studies who use innovative technologies in their study or teaching of the Middle Ages to share their work with a broad audience of medievalists. This virtual gathering will serve as a forum for scholars, both emerging and established, to gather and learn about, as well as celebrate, their achievements and work in the digital humanities, broadly conceived.

Above all, the GSC’s Digital Humanities Showcase is meant to be fun and exciting, giving participants and presenters alike the chance to share ideas and connect. Presentations should be no more than ten minutes in length and explain the impact of the applied technologies on medieval studies. The content of the presentations should be accessible to scholars from all disciplines while also maintaining a high quality of research. If possible, we encourage presenters to include a demonstration of their technology, methodology, or approach.

Applications should include a 2-page CV as well as a brief abstract of no more than 200 words. Submissions should be sent to William Beattie at wbea...@nd.edu and g...@themedievalacademy.org by Friday, 15 December 2023. Selected speakers will be notified by the end of December.

Possible topics could include, but are not limited to:

  • Digital modelling of religious and secular spaces
  • Virtual reconstructions of manuscripts
  • New innovations in mapping
  • Immersive technologies such as mixed- or virtual-reality headsets
  • Sensory recreations—spaces, sounds, textures, tastes, etc.
  • Classroom or research applications for technology
  • X-ray, imaging, and other scientific analyses to research palimpsests, artworks, and manuscripts
  • Examinations of medieval technologies through modern reconstructions and analyses
Thanks to Jamie Harr for sharing.
Submit to the GSC Digital Humanities Showcase

Highlighted Presentations

Worldbuilding and Recovery: Revisiting Historical Moments With Virtual Reality (Coffee & Viz recording)

Project Management of Digital Projects (Lunch & Learn recording)

Recording password is QwJiSy?6

And explore the rest of the Lunch & Learn recordings.

Share a presentation or project for us to highlight