📰 News from the DHC-NC | March 2024

Digital Humanities Collaborative of North Carolina

Mar 6, 2024, 6:01:54 PMMar 6
to dhcol...@googlegroups.com

Digital Humanities Collaborative of North Carolina logo

DHC-NC Monthly Newsletter
March 2024

Updates, events, opportunities and more from the Digital Humanities Collaborative of North Carolina.

Have an update, story, event, opportunities or something else digital humanities-related? Send it our way and we'll share it in our next newsletter.

Share with us

DHC-NC News and Updates

The 2024 Digital Humanities Institute Call for Abstracts is OPEN NOW

Banner for the 2024 Digital Humanities Institute

The DHC-NC invites individuals and/or teams working in the digital humanities to submit proposals to the 2024 Digital Humanities Institute. Please share this call with your networks!

This year, the Institute will be hosted by East Carolina University in collaboration with the DHC-NC, and will be held virtually.

This year’s Institute is especially interested in showcasing the ways in which qualitative and quantitative data inform digital humanities practices. We’re also interested in how data in various forms does or could support activism and advocacy in and beyond digital humanities.

See the full call

We're updating our newsletter

Hopefully you noticed our newsletter's new look.

We're in the process of updating how we send and track emails from the DHC-NC. We want to make it easier to share your news, events, updates, opportunities and projects. And we want to make it easier for our executive board to keep you updated on what's happening!

As we investigate efficient, affordable options, this is a preview of newsletter changes to come.

We want to hear from you - share your feedback on the new newsletter look.
Let us know what you think

We're updating our website

It's not just our newsletter that's getting a refresh. Our website will be getting some updates in the coming weeks, too.

Our focus is on making the website relevant, current and accessible. And we're excited about creating a hub for all things digital humanities in North Carolina.

Is there something you'd like to see on our website? Let us know!
Share your web content suggestions

March Events

Save the date - and be a program chair - for the 2024 Digital Humanities Institute

The 2024 Digital Humanities Institute call for abstracts is out! As we begin planning, we have two requests for our members:
  1. Save the dates: May 17 - 18, 2024
  2. Volunteer to be a program chair!
This year, we're asking you, our members, to help us put on the best Digital Humanities Institute yet.

Get involved - program chairs will lead a topic area: from call to acceptance to supporting presenters, help shape the 2024 program.
Be a program chair

Data Matters: Spring Ahead

March 11-15

As research in fields such as digital humanities, political methodology, and health services evolves, it becomes imperative that researchers develop skills in data science to effectively and efficiently pursue their project work.

Data Matters™ is a week-long series of one and two-day courses aimed at students and professionals in business, research, and government. The short course series is sponsored by the Odum Institute for Research in Social Science at UNC-Chapel Hill, the National Consortium for Data Science, and RENCI. Our springtime series, Data Matters: Spring Ahead, will feature a selection of popular courses.

The deadline for registration is March 7 for Monday/Tuesday courses, March 9 for Wednesday courses and March 10 for Thursday/Friday courses.

The Data Matters short-course series is presented in partnership with RENCI and the Odum Institute. Spring 2024 sessions will be virtual.

Learn more about Data Matters: Spring Ahead

NC Humanities Fellowship informational webinar

March 15 | 1:30 PM Eastern
North Carolina Humanities is pleased to announce a new summer Fellowship funding opportunity! During this webinar you will learn about the Fellowship program, the requirements, how to apply, and more.
Learn more about NC Humanities funding opportunities
Register for the NC Humanities funding info webinar

Global Digital Humanities Symposium

March 18-23 | virtual (March 18-20); Michigan State University (March 22-23)

The event will be live streamed (per presenter permission) at go.cal.msu.edu/globaldh.

Monday, March 18, 2:30-7:00pm Eastern

Tuesday, March 19, 11:30am-4:00pm Eastern

Wednesday, March 20, 8:30am-1:00pm Eastern

Each virtual day will include Speed Networking. Using breakout rooms, we will have two short meet-and-greet opportunities. This means that groups of 4-6 will be gathered in a breakout room to introduce themselves and answer a question prompt for seven minutes and then will be reshuffled into another room for seven minutes with different people.

Learn more and register for the Global Digital Humanities Symposium

Taper Remix-a-thon with Angela Chang

March 22 | 1:00 PM Eastern
Angela Chang will lead If, Then-ers in a Remix-a-thon for Taper, an online literary magazine for small computational pieces, published by Bad Quarto. Taper is "a twice-yearly journal that hosts very short computational poems and other sorts of digital literary work, composed under the strictures of poetic compression and using practices of sizecoding. (Work is currently limited to 2KB, a mere 2048 bytes!) Taper is edited by a collective, independent of the publisher, that develops each issue’s theme, selects poems, and works to authors to prepare them for publication."

Most importantly for this session, all of the poems in Taper are free and open source software, so anyone can study, share, and remix them in any way. That is exactly what we plan to do this in session. Take a look at Taper's archive and RSVP! All are welcome—no programming experience required.

This event is part of If, Then: Technology and Poetics, a collaborative, public, and interdisciplinary virtual working group and workshop series promoting inclusivity and skills-building in creative computation. Get in touch with Carly Schnitzler (csch...@jh.edu) or Lillian-Yvonne Bertram (l...@umd.edu) with any questions or suggestions.
Register for Taper Remix-a-thon

Coming in April

Text Analysis with Python

April 18 | 1:00 PM Eastern
Working with a set of articles, letters, books, or social media posts? Whether you’re working with a large or small collection of texts, computational text analysis can help you with your research process. In this workshop, we will explore using various Python libraries, such as NLTK and spaCy, to conduct various text analysis approaches such as finding word frequencies, word co-occurrence, topic modeling, sentiment analysis, and more. By the end of the workshop, attendees will have knowledge on how to begin their text analysis project using Python.

from the UNC University Libraries
Join the waiting list for Text Analysis with Python

Tiri Kananuruk on Performing Voice and Talking Machines

April 19 | 1:00 PM Eastern
Tiri Kananuruk will lead a session entitled Performing Voice and Talking Machines.

In this class we will learn an overview of technologies for speech synthesis and speech recognition, looking through its history and into its future. We will explore voice interfaces and their role in technology, design, art and culture. We will learn how to take advantage of existing technologies like p5.js to create our own talking machines. Prior knowledge of computer programming will be helpful, however, it is not required. You are welcome to bring your own language, your accent, and your spoken identity into the class.

Prep Before Workshop:
- Create p5.js web editor account(free) - p5.js Web Editor

This event is part of If, Then: Technology and Poetics, a collaborative, public, and interdisciplinary virtual working group and workshop series promoting inclusivity and skills-building in creative computation. Get in touch with Carly Schnitzler (csch...@jh.edu) or Lillian-Yvonne Bertram (l...@umd.edu) with any questions or suggestions.
Register for Performing Voice and Talking Machines

Opportunities & Resources

NEW North Carolina Humanities Fellowship program

North Carolina Humanities is launching a new Fellowship program to support the faculty and staff of community colleges, colleges, and universities in North Carolina!

NC Humanities is investing in the future of humanities scholarship by providing up to $8,000 to individuals researching, developing, and implementing humanities-based work. Fellowships are designed to allow recipients the flexibility to step away from their busy workloads and further or complete their research for two months.

Full-time, part-time, adjunct, and retired faculty members and staff affiliated with an accredited institute of higher education in North Carolina are eligible to apply. Funds may support recipient’s compensation related to humanities research. Fellowships will support a wide range of humanities topics with possible outputs including archaeological reports, articles, books, digital resources, translation, and more.

Important dates:

March 15, 2024 - information webinar (see the March Events section above)

March 27, 2024 - Fellowships (up to $8,000)
To support individuals researching, developing, and implementing humanities-based work

April 18, 2024 - Large Project Grants (up to $20,000)
To support the implementation of large or long-term humanities projects

September 12, 2024 - Small Project Grants Cycle 2 (up to $5,000)
To support the implementation of humanities projects

Learn more about NC Humanities funding opportunities

NEW Call for Proposals for the 2024 Digital Pedagogy Institute (DPI)

Proposals due April 19
The Call for Proposals for the 2024 Digital Pedagogy Institute (DPI) is now open. At this year’s DPI, our goal is to create a virtual space that allows participants to explore diverse approaches to digital pedagogy from a variety of perspectives, including those of undergraduate/graduate students, faculty, librarians, educational developers, and technologists.

Our streams for this year’s conference include:
  • Critical Ideologies and Digital Pedagogy: How do we question and challenge dominant beliefs and practices in the field of Digital Pedagogy? What underlying approaches and questions should we engage with more deeply? How can our pedagogical practices help support new educational priorities and social change?
  •  Digital (de)colonialism: How have digital pedagogy techniques and tools helped instructors and students address anti-racist and decolonization practices in their curriculum and research? What are the challenges and opportunities? Do you have any best practices to share?
  • Inclusivity, Accessibility, and Digital Pedagogy: Issues related to inclusivity and accessibility are at the forefront of Digital Pedagogy. What barriers have you encountered in your research and practice? How have you resolved them? What barriers remain? This is an opportunity to reflect on and share frameworks and best practices that have helped to reduce pedagogical barriers and integrate digital pedagogy approaches.
  •  Sustainability, Renewability, and Environmental Costs in the digital sphere: Digital pedagogy is not immune to environmental critique. There are environmental impacts associated with generating the power and equipment needed to support digital initiatives. How should we reconcile the benefits of digital pedagogy with its environmental costs? Can digital pedagogy proponents be good environmental stewards?
  •  Digital Pedagogy and the Post-Truth society: It is becoming increasingly difficult to navigate what is real and what is true. How can Digital Pedagogy help instructors and students to navigate issues related to digital literacy, data ethics, artificial intelligence, social media influences, etc.
  •  Digital Pedagogy and Emerging Technologies: This new stream delves into the dynamic intersection of digital pedagogy and emerging technologies in higher education. It focuses on how digital tools and innovative technologies like artificial intelligence, big data, and immersive technologies (virtual reality, augmented reality, etc.) are reshaping teaching and learning experiences. The discussions will cover strategies for integrating these technologies into academic curricula, impacts and implications, and challenges of ensuring equitable access and ethical use.
Formats
  • Presentations: 20-minute synchronous sessions presenting papers or presentations on projects, initiatives, and/or case studies related to one of the conference streams, with time for Q&A.
  • Tool demos/workshops: 30-minute or 60-minute interactive demonstrations of innovative or new tools that you have integrated or are thinking of integrating into your teaching.
Submit a DPI proposal

NEW Call for Proposals for Texts, Languages, and Communities - TEI 2024

Proposals due April 30
We are pleased to announce a call for papers, posters, panels, demos, and workshops for “Texts, languages, and communities – TEI 2024”, the twenty-fourth conference and annual general meeting of the Text Encoding Initiative that will be held in person 7–11 October 2024 at Universidad del Salvador (USAL), Buenos Aires, Argentina.

The TEI Guidelines “are addressed to anyone who works with any kind of textual resource in digital form” and any source written in any language can be published in TEI. However, all texts are cultural constructs and can be understood, analyzed, and consequently, encoded, in many different ways. Even though the TEI’s remit is global, different communities of practice have grown as part of the initiative, like the East Asian/Japanese SIG, the Music SIG, or TTHub project. These different communities of practice have developed and put to use different approaches, methodologies and technologies for encoding and publishing cultural objects.

The conference topic – “Texts, languages, and communities”– aims at highlighting the global outreach of the TEI together with its local adaptations and bringing us together as a diverse and multilingual community, where the exchange of experiences and shared learning will help us reflect on the texts we investigate, the languages we use, and the communities we create.

Submit a TEI proposal

Digital Humanities Resource Guide (UNC Charlotte)

Atkins Library has created several resources to support students, faculty and staff interested in Digital Humanities (DH).

Highlights include:
  • A UNC Charlotte Digital Humanities Discussion Group.
  • A request form for workshops, training and networking.
  • Library services to help incorporate digital humanities projects into courses.
Explore the Digital Humanities Resource Guide

Highlighted Projects & Presentations

A sixteenth- or seventeenth-century engraving of Lisbon.
The primary goal of the Sandcastle project is to enable researchers to visualize non-cartesian, premodern images of places in a comparative environment that resembles the gestural, malleable one used by medieval and early modern cartographers and artists.

Banner for Celebrating Herstory at NC State: Women's Herstory Month

Immersive Women’s Herstory Month Exhibit: the 1998 Album

Experience Women’s History Month from a new view. This year the Women’s Center and the Libraries have partnered to create an interactive exhibit in the 360 Cyma Rubin Visualization Gallery in D.H. Hill Jr. Library at NC State.

The exhibit will be open to the public from noon to 5:00 PM daily, March 20-22.

Share a presentation or project for us to highlight

--
The Digital Humanities Collaborative of North Carolina (DHC-NC)
Promoting digital humanities projects and practices across North Carolina equitably and inclusively.