📰 News from the DHC-NC | February 2024

Digital Humanities Collaborative of North Carolina

Feb 7, 2024, 6:01:52 PMFeb 7
to rhea....@unc.edu

Digital Humanities Collaborative of North Carolina logo

DHC-NC Monthly Newsletter
February 2023

Updates, events, opportunities and more from the Digital Humanities Collaborative of North Carolina.

We know it's been a while since our last newsletter, but there are updates in the works! (Keep reading for more.)

Have an update, story, event, opportunities or something else digital humanities-related? Send it our way and we'll share it in our next newsletter.

Share with us

DHC-NC News and Updates

Get to Know Your DHC-NC Executive Board

A white, double-layed speech bubble is on a dark gray background. Under the speech bubble are three prompts in white text. The first prompt is "Digital humanities means..." The second prompt is "I joined the DHC-NC because..." The third prompt is "My hope for the DHC-NC is..."

The 2023-2024 Executive Board is hard at work. They’re planning the 2024 institute and updating the website, newsletter and more!

Some of the board members took a quick break from their busy teaching, research, mentoring, family and DHC-NC commitments to share their thoughts on some key questions.

Get to know a bit more about what drives DHC-NC members to do digital humanities.

Spoiler: it’s about the collaboration! (And excitement – lots of excitement – about what we can use digital tools to do.)

Keep reading

We're updating our newsletter

Hopefully you noticed our newsletter's new look.

We're in the process of updating how we send and track emails from the DHC-NC. We want to make it easier to share your news, events, updates, opportunities and projects. And we want to make it easier for our executive board to keep you updated on what's happening!

As we investigate efficient, affordable options, this is a preview of newsletter changes to come.

We want to hear from you - share your feedback on the new newsletter look.
Let us know what you think

We're updating our website

It's not just our newsletter that's getting a refresh. Our website will be getting some updates in the coming weeks, too.

Our focus is on making the website relevant, current and accessible. And we're excited about creating a hub for all things digital humanities in North Carolina.

Is there something you'd like to see on our website? Let us know!
Share your web content suggestions

February Events

Save the date - and be a program chair - for the 2024 Digital Humanities Institute

The 2024 Digital Humanities Institute is on our minds. As we begin planning, we have two to-do items for our members:
  1. Save the dates: May 17 - 18, 2024
  2. Volunteer to be a program chair!
This year, we're asking you, our members, to help us put on the best Digital Humanities Institute yet.

Get involved - program chairs will lead a topic area: from call to acceptance to supporting presenters, help shape the 2024 program.
Be a program chair

Black Transfigurations With Mikael Owunna

February 8 | 1:30 PM Eastern | James B. Hunt Jr. Library, Teaching and Visualization Studio
Join the African American Cultural Center and Multicultural Student Affairs for Black Transfigurations. Multimedia artist and engineer Mikael Owunna will present works from his artistic practice that transfigure Black bodies into vessels of eternal life. Owunna’s artistic practice explores the intersections of visual media with engineering, optics, Blackness and African cosmologies. His work seeks to elucidate an emancipatory vision of possibility that pushes people beyond all boundaries, restrictions, and frontiers.

Owunna will participate in a Q&A after his presentation.
Register for Black Transfigurations

Love Data Week: My Kind of Data (UNC Wilmington)

February 12-16 | varies

For its third year, UNCW Randall Library and Research & Innovation will be co-presenting Love Data Week (February 12-16, 2024), an international celebration of data. A series of online workshops, panels, and spotlights about research data will be hosted throughout the week to build campus community and highlight various aspects of data. Recordings and recommended resources are available to access for UNCW’s Love Data Week 2023 and Love Data Week 2022.

This year’s theme, "My Kind of Data," highlights the various representations of “my data,” such as showcasing the work that goes into making data, recognizing data equity and inclusion factors for the people participating in or affected by data, and documenting the data standards from (inter)disciplinary communities. Data is personal. It can be created about anything, it can mean anything depending on the person, and it can be used for countless purposes depending on the individual need.

See all UNCW Love Data Week events

Gallery Opening: 29 Days of Healing: Black Book Blitz Exhibit

February 15 | 5:30 PM Eastern | Witherspoon Student Center, African American Cultural Center, Art Gallery and Library
Join the African American Cultural Center for the opening of the exhibition 29 Days of Healing: Black Book Blitz Exhibit. This Black History Month exhibition will meld art and literature together by highlighting 29 books on Black healing, spirituality and the arts. It will be an interactive space where guests can pick up books from our collection and check them out, watch a video montage of how Black folks experience healing and spirituality through literature, art and togetherness in the community. Guests at the exhibition opening will be able to interact with literature from our library catalog, view artistic photos along the walls, read quotes from our book display and engage in thoughtful conversation while enjoying each other's company and yummy finger food and hot tea.
Learn more about 29 Days of Healing

Immersive Black History Month Timelines Exhibit

February 15 (+ other dates) | noon Eastern | D. H. Hill Jr. Library, Cyma Rubin Visualization Gallery

Explore African American history at NC State University in our Immersive Black History Month Timelines Exhibit. Curated by Todd Kosmerick (University Archivist) and Taylor Wolford (Special Collections Librarian), this exhibit features materials from the Special Collections Research Center and unveils stories of resilience, achievement, and cultural influence that have had a profound and lasting impact on the campus community and beyond.

Learn more about the Immersive Black History Month Timelines Exhibit

If, Then: Technology and Poetics

February 16 | 1:00 PM Eastern
Lillian-Yvonne Bertram will give a reading and craft talk from their soon-to-be released (February 15) chapbook, A Black Story May Contain Sensitive Content. The winner of the 2023 New Michigan Press/DIAGRAM chapbook contest, A Black Story May Contain Sensitive Content confronts, nuances, questions, and imagines the role of computation, particularly AI, when it comes to crafting poetry about race and gender.

Register for If, Then: Technology and Poetics

Preserving History: The Russell School of Durham County

February 17 | 10:00 AM Eastern | D.H. Hill Jr. Library, Innovation Studio

In the early 1900s, more than 800 Rosenwald Schools — schools for Black students built through philanthropic donations and funds raised by activists — were built in North Carolina. This number was, by far, more than any other state, however only a few of these school buildings still exist today.

To help preserve their history, Kevin Oliver, head of the Department of Teacher Education and Learning Sciences in the NC State College of Education, and Angela Wiseman, an associate professor in the College of Education, have created a virtual tour of the Historic Russell School, which is the last Rosenwald School remaining in Durham County.

Join us for this open-to-the-public event in some of Hill Library's exciting high-tech spaces —  the iPearl Innovation StudioNorth Forum and the Cyma Rubin Visualization Gallery — to learn about the Rosenwald Schools and the Russell School through a panel interview with individuals who attended the school, virtual reality tours via headset, a gallery exhibition of 360-degree photos of the school and a multimedia exhibit with interviews, videos and photos.

Learn more about Preserving History

Cartographic and Digital Misfits: Early Modern Chorography and Modern Cartesian Software

February 21 | 2:00 PM Eastern

Join us for an online presentation from Dr. Ed Triplett, Associate Professor of the Practice at Duke University.

This talk will describe some of the conclusions drawn through the creation of a research and development project that seeks to bring "chorographies" (also known as "city views") into digital mapping environments that acknowledge the pseudo-perspectival nature of these early modern sources. Following a brief description of chorography, which was a ubiquitous form of spatial visualization in the 16th-18th centuries, Dr. Triplett will outline how he and his partners developed the "Sandcastle Workflow" - a multiple-software technique that combines image annotation and procedural modeling to translate chorographies into explorable 3D scenes. The case study that will be described in most detail is known as the Livro das Fortalezas (Book of Fortresses) - a bound collection of 120 perspective drawings and 51 plan drawings of 55 castles along Portugal's border with Spain that was drawn and assembled in 1509-1510.

This program is sponsored by the Humanities, Data, and Technology Carolina Seminar.
Questions? Contact Amanda Henley

Register for Cartographic and Digital Misfits

The Ongoing Fight for Freedom: Stories of NC’s Black Veterans

February 25 | 3:00 PM Eastern | Friday Conference Center (UNC-Chapel Hill)
“The Ongoing Fight for Freedom: Stories of NC’s Black Veterans” is a one-man presentation & performance elevating Black freedom fighters and veterans with North Carolina connections – known & unknown, on and off the traditional battlefield – who have engaged in over 400 years of a struggle for freedom, liberty, and equality. Their sacrifices, resistance, and resilience have contributed to American democracy, even as they were denied the full rights of citizens. Through listening to their stories in this production, we can gain a deeper understanding of our nation’s founding ideals, and harness the hope to continue the work, together, of making those ideals a reality for all.

The show is approximately 75-minutes long, followed by a 30-minute audience “talk-back” with Q&A and discussion.

Learn more and register for The Ongoing Fight for Freedom

Map Your Data and Tell a Story

February 27 | 10:00 AM Eastern | Witherspoon Student Center, African American Cultural Center Library

This workshop is an introduction to location-based, or geospatial, data and how to work with the data using ArcGIS Online (AGOL), a cloud-based GIS platform. We will learn to convert field observations from a table into a map layer, and then style our layer to best represent our data. We will then work with this map in StoryMaps, which provides a great way to share images, stories, and maps in one place. Please bring a laptop with you! Presented by NC State University Libraries.

This event is part of the Office of Undergraduate Research Spring Seminar Series.

Learn more about Map Your Data and Tell a Story

A fire side-style discussion about the birth of grassroots activism in Charlotte

February 28 | 6:00 PM Eastern | Halton Room (UNC Charlotte)

A fire side-style discussion with NC Representative Kelly M. Alexander Jr. and UNC Charlotte professor Dr. Willie Griffin about the birth of grassroots activism in Charlotte starting in the 1930s and into the 1970s. They will discuss Charlotte’s influence on the nationwide Civil Rights movement with special attention to battles on the home front.

In collaboration with the Harvey B. Gantt Center for African American Arts + Culture and the National Endowment for the Humanities "Big Read."

Register for the fire side discussion

Coming in March

Introduction to Digital Humanities

March 5 | 2:00 PM Eastern

Digital publishing? Computational methods? What makes up the digital humanities? This workshop will provide history and context to the term “digital humanities” across different disciplines. With a focus on the use of digital tools, methods, and sources, this workshop will provide recommendations and resources for attendees to start on their digital humanities project. By the end of the workshop, attendees will have knowledge of the various kinds of digital humanities and how to begin their own digital humanities projects.

This workshop is offered by [UNC-Chapel Hill] University Libraries and will be led by librarians Rolando Rodriguez and Sarah Morris.

Register for Introduction to Digital Humanities

Author Talk: The Intersection of Fashion and Disability

March 5 | 7:30 PM Eastern | James B. Hunt Jr. Library, Teaching and Visualization Studio

For centuries, the fashion industry has denied access to those whose bodies don’t conform to normative physical and cultural stereotypes. In this program, Kate Annett-Hitchcock, professor emerita of the Wilson College of Textiles at NC State, will discuss her new book, The Intersection of Fashion and Disability: A Historical Analysis. The book explores developments that enable people who live with disabilities to participate in the fashion world.

Following her talk, members of the North Carolina Spinal Cord Injury Association will engage in a panel discussion about their experiences with fashion, including accessibility of products and their views on current branding and retail options for people who live with disabilities in the United States.

The Hunt Library's Teaching and Visualization Lab will allow attendees to engage with an array of immersive visuals, including historic photos used by Annett-Hitchcock in her research.

Register for The Intersection of Fashion and Disability

Opportunities & Resources

Digital Humanities Resource Guide (UNC Charlotte)

Atkins Library has created several resources to support students, faculty and staff interested in Digital Humanities (DH).

Highlights include:
  • A UNC Charlotte Digital Humanities Discussion Group.
  • A request form for workshops, training and networking.
  • Library services to help incorporate digital humanities projects into courses.
Explore the Digital Humanities Resource Guide

Highlighted Projects & Presentations

A black and white photograph shows two Black people in front of a brick building. The people are holding signs. One sign reads "How much longer?" The other sign has some visible words: "Where we are segregated." The people are wearing coats and scarves. There is snow on the ground.
On the Books: Jim Crow and Algorithms of Resistance, a text mining project uncovering Jim Crow and racially-based legislation signed into law in NC between Reconstruction and the Civil Rights Movement (1866-1967).

Project Management of Digital Projects (Lunch & Learn recording)

Recording password is QwJiSy?6

And explore the rest of the Lunch & Learn recordings.

Share a presentation or project for us to highlight
--
The Digital Humanities Collaborative of North Carolina (DHC-NC)
Promoting digital humanities projects and practices across North Carolina equitably and inclusively.