morning meditation quotes

Janet Gilmore

Apr 21, 2022, 9:54:42 AM4/21/22
to dharmata sangha
Hi everyone,

Yesterday's poem that Robert SKrocki read, "my brain and heart divorced," by John Roedel can be found here:

 My Brain and Heart Divorced, by John Roedel, Poet — Soul Vision Healing Center

Here is the quote I read this morning by Jack D Forbes:

"I can lose my hands, and still live. I can lose my legs and still live. I can lose my eyes and still live. I can lose my hair, eyebrows, nose, arms, and many other things and still live. But if I lose the air I die. If I lose the sun I die. If I lose the earth I die. If I lose the water I die. If I lose the plants and animals I die. All of these things are more a part of me, more essential to my every breath, than is my so-called body. What is my real body?

We are not autonomous, self-sufficient beings as European mythology teaches.... We are rooted just like the trees. But our roots come out of our nose and mouth, like an umbilical cord, forever connected to the rest of the world.... Nothing that we do, do we do by ourselves. We do not see by ourselves. We do not hear by ourselves.... That which the tree exhales, I inhale. That which I exhale, the trees inhale. Together we form a circle."

It was something I ran across and copied a couple of years ago and not sure where it originated, but I found it online today in this longer article, which is worth a read:

https://www.amacad.org/publication/indigenous-americans-spirituality-and-ecos

Also, there is a tricycle online course called Buddhism and Ecology Summit  this week as part of celebrating Earth Day 2022:

https://tricycle.org/buddhism-and-ecology-summit/

There are two more days of it and it features a number of Buddhist teachers whose teachings include ecology and eco-activism. Definitely worth a listen.

with love,

Janet