Dharmata Austin Sangha Update

Janet Gilmore

Jun 5, 2021, 11:00:07 AM6/5/21
to dharmata sangha
Hi everyone,

It's June already!  I don't know how but time seems to keep speeding up. Jimmie used to say, jokingly and seriously, whenever we were in a bad spot or a dilemma of some kind, "Oh well, in a hundred years we'll all be dead and forgotten anyway."  Last night he said maybe there's a new version, "oh well, in ten years, we'll all be dead and forgotten anyway."   This is Buddhist humor (and probably mostly true for some of us anyway).

A few people are asking about returning to in-person sangha gatherings. I don't think we are quite ready to do that yet. A few of us have been talking about what needs to be considered before we do.  Of course, we want to make sure it is safe for everyone. Also, we want to be sure we can include remote members even when we do, which involves planning and probably fundraising to purchase equipment that would allow a "hybrid" approach.  We will keep you posted on these considerations as the conversation progresses. And if you want to be part of that conversation and effort, let me know.

Since many of us are attending Anam Thubten's one-day retreat tomorrow, we will not have Early Morning Sits as we usually do on the first Sunday of the month.  We also will forgo a Dharma talk.  Here's a link to sign up for Anam Thubten's retreat tomorrow, which starts at noon Central time:

Here's the Dharmata Austin schedule for the week:

Sunday Sadhana Practice
Sunday
10 - 11
practice only  this week and no talk, no Early Morning sits due to all-day retreat with Anam Thubten.
Morning Meditation
Monday - Friday
7:30-8:15AM
meditation (lightly guided) to start the day.
Dharma Discussion
Wednesday
6:30-8:00PM
The Heart Sutra by Red Pine.
Part One, section 5 & 6, starting on page 71, and maybe beyond:
"Here, Shariputra"
"Form is emptiness, Emptiness is form"

.for those who are also tracking the same topic with The Fragrance of Emptiness by Anam Thubten. this section corresponds roughly to Chapter 8.

For now, all events remain virtual and here's the link:

with love and gratitude,

Janet