A Request from Sister Pháp Lan (Cathy Hill)

Janet Reale

Nov 1, 2019, 3:38:44 PM11/1/19
to Dharma Training Program, Michelle Hartel, Nancy Smeeth, Jorge Gonzalez, s_c...@hotmail.com, Dave Edmonds, Teo Castellanos, Deborah McDonald
Dear DTO Members, Friends, and Anyone else who reads this email:

This is a request for donations from Sister Pháp Lan (Cathy Hill) for the two prison programs that Pháp Nguyen (Dharma Spring) is involved in with their teachings, meditations, celebrations, and giving comfort and solace. Dharma Spring is Thay's temple in Pearland, Texas. Please read and consider giving a donation. Thank you.

Metta,
Janet

Dear Friends,

As many of you know, we have an active prison ministry at Phap Nguyen(Dharma Spring) Temple. We visit the Walls Unit in Huntsville once a month, and we also visit the Luther Unit once a month.

At Luther, we have two special events coming up in December. On December 1, the Luther Sangha will celebrate Bhodi Day(a high festival celebrating the life and teachings of the Buddha). We will have a retreat that day and will share a communal meal with the inmates. We will be purchasing the food, drinks, and paper products from approved providers. We expect to have tofu and veggie fried rice, tofu and veggie fried noodle, fresh fruit, cheese, cookies, and soda for 40 people.

Also at Luther, several faith groups are working together to make hygiene bags for all 1300 inmates. We will be providing 380 2.7 oz. deodorants.  Inmates must purchase all of their supplies from the prison commissary. Many of the guys are indigent and have no personal funds. Others are new to the facility and have to wait a while for hygiene items before their funds are available to them. These hygiene bags are a special holiday treat for the inmates.

The Sangha in Huntsville will also be celebrating Bodhi Day with our volunteers, and will be sharing a communal meal together. That group would also benefit from your support.

If you would like to make a donation to support either of these projects, please make your check out to "Cathy Hill" and give it to me at the temple. If that is not convenient, please mail it to the address below.

If you would like your donation to go to a particular event, please specify Luther-meal; Luther-deodorant; Huntsville--meal.

Cathy Hill

203 Brookdale Drive

League City, Texas  77573

You can reach me by e-mail OR call or text me at 512-576-2351

Please Note: If there is any money left over, I will deposit it into the Phap Nguyen Prison Project fund.

May all beings be well. May all beings be happy. Peace, Peace, Peace.

Elena Bravocruz

Nov 2, 2019, 12:42:12 PM11/2/19
to Janet Reale, Dharma Training Program, Michelle Hartel, Nancy Smeeth, Jorge Gonzalez, s_c...@hotmail.com, Dave Edmonds, Teo Castellanos, Deborah McDonald
Thank you Janet. What a wonderful opportunity to share Merits.
I'll reach out to Sister PL
Elena