Dhamma Day and Entering the Vassa July 24th and 25th: Welcome to Join Together from Entering Vassa thru Kathina

Friends of Dhammadharini

Jul 19, 2021, 11:10:03 PM7/19/21
to Dhammadharini Google Group post
Bodhi Leaves royalty free stock photo [photo by ganchaonan1@gmail.com].png
Drawing near...

Dear Friends of our Dhammadharini Bhikkhunis community,
we are coming near to Dhamma Day now...this coming full moon July 24th...and to our Vassa Entry on July 25th.

This year, longtime friends of our community Mala Wijekoon of Inspiring Generosity, and Chanaka Ekanayake, treasurer of Dhammadharini Support Foundation -- will be the lead supporters of our Dhammadharini monastic community's 2021 Vassa, and they have pledged to offer the Kathina "Robe of Merit" upon the completion of the Vassa. Doing so is a beautiful tradition from the time of the Buddha until now in the Theravada Buddhist cultures of South & Southeast Asia and around the world. Mala and Chanaka and their friends and families warmly invite you to join them.

Bodhi Leaves [123rf.com].png
"We are blessed to be a part of the 2021 Vassa and Kathina offering.
It is a great opportunity to offer our Bhikkhuni Sangha the Kathina robe.
All of us together we can make this successful event.
We invite all our friends to join to support Our Bhikkhunis during Vassa-time 2021."

- Mala and the Wijekoon Family, with Chanaka Ekanayake

Bodhi Leaves royalty free stock photo [photo by ganchaonan1@gmail.com].png
Welcome...
Mala and Kapila, Benjamin, Amanda and Marlin of the Wijekoon Family, together with Chanaka Ekanayake, welcome you to join online for a day-long Dhamma program including the Vassa Aradhana ("Invitation to Enter the Vassa") which will be offered to our bhikkhunis' community at Dhammadharini Monastery in Penngrove on Saturday July 24th.
Visit our website and register to join online for this program.

After the meal, on this full moon anniversary of the Buddha's own great going forth and teaching the Dhamma for the first time, Mala and Chanaka will invite the monastic community to lead in chanting the Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta, the "Turning the Wheel of the Dhamma," the first teaching of the Buddha, taught on this full moon day, so many years ago, after which "Dhamma Day" is named. We will also be having the groundbreaking for our soon-to-be constructed Dana Sala pavilion, with blessings chanting.

Golden Wheel of Dhamma royalty free stock photos [dreamstime.com].png
WELCOME
Dhamma Day Vassa Aradhana
with Dana Sala Groundbreaking Program
SATURDAY JULY 24TH
Schedule highlights (for the full schedule & to register, see our website):

5:30am | Morning chanting in Pali & English
8:00am| Guided meditation, Dhamma talk, discussion, and Q&A on Cittanupassana
10:30am | Sila program - undertaking and renewing our Refuges & Precepts
*
1:00pm | Welcome
1:30pm | Vassa Aradhana ("Invitation to Enter the Vassa") & Sangha Dana
1:50pm | Dhamma sharing panel "The Five Great Meanings of Dhamma Day"
2:35pm | Chanting of the Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta "Turning the Wheel of the Dhamma"
3:00pm | Groundbreaking for the Dana Sala pavilion
3:30pm | Blessing chanting & closing
*
6:00pm | Meditation and Dhamma Talk:
"The Meaning of Dhamma Day: Setting into Motion the Wheel of the Dhamma"
with Ven Tathaloka Mahatheri

Bodhi Leaves royalty free stock photo [photo by ganchaonan1@gmail.com].png
Supporting & Contributing...
Offering the Four Requisites
If you would like to join together in supporting our monastics' Vassa this year, there are these ways you can contribute from both near and far. Welcome to let us know if you would like to make a special dedication in connection with your gift.

 lodging requisite in person & from afar
Join in supporting lodging expenses at our monastery and hermitage during the Vassa
make a one time donation, or recurring monthly donation
Thank you, with anumodana, to those who have already pledged to offer monthly monastery lodgings dana.

❦ food requisite in person & from afar
Come to the monastery or hermitage yourself or with your family or friends to offer meal dana outdoors, whether one time during the vassa, or regularly. To offer in person, or to find a day of the month to sponsor, please contact our Dana coordinator Lal, or reach out directly to our monastery or hermitage.
Thank you and anumodana to those who have already pledged monthly grocery dana.

❦ medicines requisite in person & from afar
Offer needed medicines & supplies in person or via web order. Email the hermitage or monastery to find out what is needed or visit our useful things list online here.

❦ robes requisite in person & from afar
Offer robes and warm wear for early Kathina on Oct 17th. This year our Kathina is planned early so that our new bhikkhunis who are with us on ESTA visas for the Vassa (stay limited to 90 days) can join in our Kathina together. After the Kathina robe is offered, needed robes and winter warm wear may be offered as part of the Kathina Robe Season from after the Kathina "Robe of Merit" is offered, through till the end of the Kathina Season Nov 18th.
Welcome to check in with the monastic community about what is needed (email the hermitage or monastery).

❦ donations to all requisites in person & from afar
Dhammadharini support foundation, the non-profit lay stewardship supporting the Dhammadharini bhikkhuni sangha, warmly welcomes one-time and recurring donations of any amount dedicated to "all requisites" or "whatever is most needed," which will be stewarded appropriately.

Bodhi Leaves royalty free stock photo [photo by ganchaonan1@gmail.com].png
Joining in the Vassa Practice Together...
It is the long-standing tradition of Theravada Buddhist peoples, from the time of the Buddha, to make special effort to draw near to the Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha and specially exert themselves in the practice during the Vassa period.  Thus, in Southeast Asia, the Vassa is called "Buddhist Lent."  People will go to spend the entire Vassa or some part of it practicing together in the monastery. Or they specially endeavor on their own to give up habits that do not serve them well, and to put in place habits that do serve and well support them.

The Vassa is a special time to cultivate Dana (Generosity & Charity), Sila (Ethics & Moral Virtue & Integrity), and Bhavana (Meditative Cultivation & Contemplation of Dhamma).

This year our Vassa is specially dedicated to teaching and practice of Cittanupassana -- Mindfulness of the Mind. During this year's Vassa, the Dhammadharini monastic community's teachings and practice will focus on this. We expect teachings from our monastic teachers Ven. Tathaloka Maha Theri and Ven Sobhana Theri, and this year we will also have special guest teacher Ajahn Brahmavara, to share Dhamma teachings with us on this fascinating topic.

Having monastics in our midst and being able to be in contact with them, to support their practice, and to hear their teachings and discuss Dhamma with them regularly, is a support for us. Even if you are far away, we can link together by intention to support one another, and we can join together regularly via the miracles of Zoom and YouTube, while practicing privately ourselves.  We encourage you to make the utmost of this rare opportunity we have, knowing it is a limited-time opportunity. We will be posting again soon with more details about the teachings and opportunities to practice together that will be being offered during this year's Vassa.

 Make a Commitment to Practice for the Vassa: Vassa Adhitthana
Welcome to join us in making a determination to practice for these three months -- set a routine of Dhamma reflection and practice for yourself during the Vassa time. You are invited to share your determination with us on our Vassa Entering Day. Join for the Uposathas - fortnightly lunar observance days. Give up something you are better off without for these three months. Bring in something of support. Share with others.

WELCOME
Entering the Vassa Program
Vassa Adhitthana & Blessings
SUNDAY JULY 25TH
Register on our website to join in person or online

10:30am | Arrival for anyone wishing to offer Lunch Dana
11:00am | Lunch Dana (Amisa Dana)--Offering to Monastic Community
followed by Lunch for All
1:00pm | Afternoon Vassa Adhitthana Dhamma Program
2:00pm | End of afternoon program

Buddha with Bodhi Tree Background [c8.alamy.com preview].png

Thank you & anumodana for joining us in making this year's Vassa an auspicious & fruitful occasion for each and every one of us!

Wishing you all the blessings of the Noble Triple Gem!

With much metta to all,
Mala and the Wijekoon Family together with Chanaka Ekanayake
in partnership with Dhammadharini support foundation and all our friends of Dhammadharini
--
Golden Wheel of Dhamma royalty free stock photos [dreamstime.com].png

Dhammadharini
Monetary
onations
 may be posted to Dhammadharini support foundation at the monastery address or made online (info).

 our monastery
6791 Sturtevant Dr, Penngrove CA
 94951 USA
Phone or text: 707.583.9522

 ☸ our hermitage
Mailing Address: PO Box 16, Jenner, CA 95450  USA
Voicemail or text: 707.583.9523

❧ Dhammadharini Monastery

Jul 24, 2021, 1:01:11 AM7/24/21
to dhamma...@googlegroups.com
Bodhi Leaves royalty free stock photo [photo by ganchaonan1@gmail.com].png
Join us this weekend...
Dear Friends of our Dhammadharini Bhikkhunis community,

The bright full moon is rising and celebrations of Dhamma Cakka Day celebrating the Buddha's first teaching are beginning LIVE now in India and around the world. For those who are night owls (at least on California time), together with many other great teachers and Buddhist leaders from around the world, our founding teacher Ayya Tathaloka will be speaking for the International Buddhist Confederation in India's Guru Purnima Dharma Cakra Pravartana Commemoration on "The Significance of the First Turning of the Wheel of the Dharma" tonight sometime between 11pm and 1am (program, YouTube). This program also includes live blessing chanting from important places of pilgrimage in the Buddha's life in India.

Tomorrow, July 24th, is our Dhammadharini Sangha's Dhamma Day full moon July 24th, followed by our Vassa Entry on July 25th. It is also our Dhammadharini Monastery's 5th Anniversary! We invite you to join with our Dhammadharini community in celebrating these wonderful events, in-person and online.

SATURDAY JULY 24TH
We welcome you to join online for a day-long Dhamma program including Dhamma Talks, chanting of the Buddha's first teaching, groundbreaking for our new monastery Dana Sala pavilion, and the Vassa Aradhana ("Invitation to Enter the Vassa") which will be offered to our bhikkhunis' community at Dhammadharini Monastery in Penngrove on Saturday.

There are also spaces remaining available for you to join us in-person at Dhammadharini Monastery, to share in the meal and afternoon Dhamma Sharing. To maintain everyone's COVID safety, events will be held outdoors and the number of guests will be limited.

Visit our website and register to join either online or in-person.

Schedule highlights (for the full schedule & to register, see our website):
All times shown in PDT/California time, see this time zone converter to find your local time

5:30am | Morning chanting in Pali & English
8:00am| Guided meditation, Dhamma talk, discussion, and Q&A on Cittanupassana
10:30am | Sila program - undertaking and renewing our Refuges & Precepts
*
1:00pm | Welcome
1:30pm | Vassa Aradhana ("Invitation to Enter the Vassa") & Sangha Dana
1:50pm | Dhamma sharing panel "The Five Great Meanings of Dhamma Day"
2:35pm | Chanting of the Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta "Turning the Wheel of the Dhamma"
3:00pm | Groundbreaking for the Dana Sala pavilion
3:30pm | Blessing chanting & closing
*
6:00pm | Meditation and Dhamma Talk:
"The Meaning of Dhamma Day: Setting into Motion the Wheel of the Dhamma"
with Ven Tathaloka Mahatheri

SUNDAY JULY 25TH
We welcome you to us online or in person as we consider our Vassa Adhitthana - our determination and commitment to practice for this Vassa, and share Paritta Blessings to launch our Vassa practice and Dhamma teaching. Friends are welcome to join for the meal, and stay for an early-afternoon Dhamma program together.

Register on our website to join in person or online.

Schedule
All times shown in PDT/California time, see this time zone converter to find your local time

10:30am | Arrival for anyone wishing to offer Lunch Dana
11:00am | Lunch Dana (Amisa Dana)--Offering to Monastic Community
followed by Lunch for All
1:00pm | Afternoon Vassa Adhitthana Dhamma Program
2:00pm | End of afternoon program

Wishing you the blessings of the triple gem!

With metta,
The Dhammadharini Community

Dhammadharini Monastery
6791 Sturtevant Dr., Penngrove CA 94951