Welcome TOMORROW Oct 7th > Join us Online for International Bhikkhuni Day, “From ‘Going Forth’ to Arahanta: Then & Now”

❧ Dhammadharini Monastery

Oct 6, 2023, 10:18:59 PM10/6/23
to dhamma...@googlegroups.com
2023_IBD.png

TOMORROW Saturday October 7th (or 8th on the other side of the world), our Dhammadharini Bhikkhunī community plans to offer our yearly "International Bhikkhunī Day" gathering. You are invited! International Bhikkhunī Day was established by the Alliance for Bhikkhunis thirteen years ago as a time for education, raising awareness, and gathering support for Bhikkhunīs. It may be celebrated any time during this lunar month (new moon to new moon), centered around the full moon (in 2023 - the 2607th) founding anniversary of the Bhikkhuni Sangha.

This year, Dhammadharini is holding our gathering one week after the full moon, on the Half Moon Uposatha, which is the anniversary of Venerable Mahāpajāpatī Gotamī's Arahatship day.

Dhammadharini's theme for 2023 is “From ‘Going Forth’ to Arahanta: Then & Now.”

Saturday October 7th, Online

7 - 9:30pm Pacific Daylight Time (California time).

See below for more time zones, or check your time here

Pacific Daylight Time

Eastern Daylight Time

India & Sri Lanka

Thailand

Western Australia

New Zealand

Sat 10/7

7:00pm

Sat 10/7

10:00pm

Sun 10/8

7:30am

Sun 10/8

9:00am

Sun 10/8

10:00am

Sun 10/8

3:00pm

Register to join us

Every year we remember and celebrate the founding anniversary of the Buddha's Bhikkhunī Sangha. We also remember that Venerable Mahāpajāpatī Gotamī achieved Arahatship, per Pali text scholarship, on the eighth day after her ordination with the Buddha, hundreds of other bhikkhunīs' soon to follow. This year we especially reflect on this journey from ordination to full awakening, for Venerable Mahāpajāpatī Gotamī and her Bhikkhunī kinswomen and companions.

In 2023, we are specially commemorating the 25-year anniversaries of several major milestones in the re-establishment of the Theravāda Bhikkhunī Sangha:

  • the revival of the Theravāda Bhikkhunī Sangha in India, the Buddha’s homeland (in Feb 1998),

  • the appointment of the first Theravāda Bhikkhunī Preceptors in modern times (in Mar 1998), and

  • the restitution of all-Theravāda dual ordination in Sri Lanka (in Mar 1998).

We also celebrate the incredible milestone of the millenium, that the Bhikkhunī Sangha & Fourfold Communities have now been reestablished in all three great ancient and still-living Vinaya lineages - with the Mūlasarvāstivāda Bhiksuni Ordinations in Bhutan last year. Once only dreamed of, this is truly amazing to see in our lifetimes.

Please join us to gather, remember and appreciate our ancient and living, unfolding history and herstory, and to consider: Now, after a quarter century, how may we establish a Fourfold Sangha which is equally supportive and moralizing of Arahatship for Bhikkhunīs, as it is for Theravāda Bhikkhus in our Forest and Insight traditions?

The Dhammadharini Bhikkhunī Sangha will gather, hosted by Ayya Sobhana Theri and Ven Kaccayana Bhikkhunī, to reflect on these milestones, the importance of having Bhikkhunīs in our world, the inspiration we have all received from Bhikkhunīs both ancient and modern, and how to create an inspiring future for our Bhikkhunī Sangha. There will be an opportunity to hear from our Dhammadharini Vassa-time residents, Bhikkhunīs joining from around the world, and our whole broad and multi-faceted community.

We look forward to having you join us!

With metta,

the Dhammadharini Community

Register to join us

The Chathuri Senanayake & Dilshan Amarathunga family invites you to join together in supporting our Dhammadharini Bhikkhuni Sangha Vassa & Kathina this year. The traditional four requisites are food, lodgings, robes and medicine. You can support from near and far. You may offer a financial donation, useful requisites, or join in volunteer service. You may also offer groceries and a hot meal to the community, you may contact the monastery and we will put you in touch with our Dana Coordinator to learn more. Please save the date to join us for Kathina on November 4th.

--

Dhammadharini Monastery

6791 Sturtevant Dr., Penngrove CA 94951

tel or text: +1 707.583.9522