Winter Retreat Uposatha Program offered by Ven. Ayya Tathaloka Theri: Jan 13 to Mar 28 (with special guest speaker Leigh Brasington Mar 13)

Dhammadharini Sangha

Jan 9, 2021, 10:40:44 PM1/9/21
to Dhammadharini Google Group post

Dear Venerables and Dhamma friends,

Our monastery and hermitage feel like calm and tranquil oasis in the great storms of samsara, as we transition into our yearly Winter Rains Retreat time, with a full week of much needed rain here in Northern California.

As we become more quiet, we settle into the winter darkness of the Northern Hemisphere, coming into closer touch with nature. We begin to enter into the preserved teachings of our late world class Dhamma and meditation teacher, the venerable Ayya Khema, also among the first group of those from both East and West to bravely join together in receiving full ordination as a Bhikkhuni.

During the holidays and on our Sanghamitta Day on Dec 26th, Dhammadharini’s founding teacher, Ven. Tathaloka Theri, recently began speaking with us about the Buddha’s teaching on the great benefit of the Uposatha lunar observance. The Uposatha is something like a pre-Christian Buddhist sabbath--for householders as well as monastics.  This practice is advised by the Buddha himself in one of the earliest Suttas, "To Dhammika."

Ayya Tathaloka expressed encouragement for everyone who can to join in undertaking a practice commitment together during this year's winter retreat--from near and far, wherever you are--to touch into and regularly experience our refuge in that Island of the Buddha-Dhamma made of the Sangha to be our solace, guide, encouragement and support. As a way of connecting as one great community in our dedication to the practice and to insight, awakening and liberation in the Buddha's Way together during this time. In support of this, she will offer fortnightly Uposatha moon day teachings throughout the winter retreat to those who join in the practice commitment together. We invite you to commit to a practice for this time -- this could be as small or as large as you wish -- whether you join in the Uposatha together or not. If the inspiration arises in you, and your life circumstances allow, you are warmly welcomed to follow along with the Dhammadharini community for the full retreat, listening to the same audio teachings we will be practicing with, and joining our online teachings together.

Please register here to participate in the Uposatha online teachings together.

An invitation to draw near ~ Since the Buddha’s time, on the Full Moon and New Moon days, monastics and householders have gathered on the Uposatha. In Theravada Buddhism of South and Southeast Asia, in Sri Lanka the monthly full moon Uposatha days are called Poya, and in Thailand the weekly Uposatha days (including the lunar quarters, as well as the full and new moons) are called Wan Phra.

On the Uposatha Days, the Bhikkhus and Bhikkhunis recite their precepts and listen to Dhamma talks, and the Upasakas and Upasikas (dedicated lay practitioners) “draw near,” undertaking the Refuges and Eight Uposatha Precepts for one day. The Eight Uposatha Sila precepts include the Five Precepts, plus three renunciate precepts of not eating after noon, abstaining from sexual activity, and abstaining from entertainment and adornment. Wearing simple pure white clothing, the person observing the Uposatha has a daylong retreat, a sabbath, or at least a specially dedicated observance day, spending the day in sustained mindfulness, periods of meditation, listening to Dhamma teachings. It is a chance for those with strong affinities for the monastic life, but dedicated to life in the world, to regularly join and partake in important elements of the monastic life individually and together with like-minded practitioners.

In this time of pandemic, we can keep the commitment and support one another together online, through generating and holding this intention, and gathering in the morning and/or evening of the Uposatha Days together.

On the morning of each New Moon and Full Moon Uposatha, our venerable Ayya Sucitta will offer the Three Refuges and Eight Uposatha Precepts at 8:30am Pacific time (the Uposatha precepts automatically expire at dawn the following morning.)

On the evening of each New and Full Moon Uposatha, Ayya Tathaloka will offer time of meditation live together, together with a Dhamma talk, and time for live Q&A and Dhamma discussion together.

We welcome you to share in Dhammadharini’s winter retreat by joining for practice on the Uposatha lunar observance days:

  • Join online at 8:30am with Ven. Sucitta Theri to undertake the Three Refuges and the Uposatha Eight Precepts, noting Uposatha precepts automatically expire at the next dawn. (During Ayya Sucitta’s personal secluded retreat time, Ayya Sudhamma will serve as our guest teacher offering the Refuges and Uposatha Precepts.)

  • Dedicate yourself to ethics, Dhamma and meditation practice throughout the day.

  • Join online at 7pm-8:30pm with Ven Tathaloka Theri for meditation, Dhamma talk and Dhamma discussion for 5 out of the 6 Uposatha evenings during the winter retreat time. (During Ayya Tathaloka's time of secluded retreat, Leigh Brasington will lead this program - March 13th). Leigh Brasington is a transmitted meditation teacher in Ayya Khema's lineage, and has co-led retreats with her teachings for the past 20 years.

During our Winter Retreat, our Dhammadharini community will be practicing with teachings from the late most venerable Ayya Khema. You are welcome and invited to follow along with these teachings and join in the practice together. This document shows the schedule of talks we’ll be using and provides links so all who would like to can stream or download the audio. You can listen and join in the practice together on the same schedule as our Dhammadharini monastic community, or on your own schedule.

These are the Uposatha observance days:

  • New moon Wednesday January 13
    Morning Refuges and Uposatha Precepts: Ayya Sucitta
    Evening Meditation, Dhamma teaching and discussion: Ayya Tathaloka

  • Full moon Thursday January 28
    Morning Refuges and Uposatha Precepts: Ayya Sucitta
    Evening Meditation, Dhamma teaching and discussion: Ayya Tathaloka

  • New moon Friday February 12 (East Asian Lunar New Year aka Chinese New Year)
    Morning Refuges and Uposatha Precepts: Ayya Sudhamma
    Evening Meditation, Dhamma teaching and discussion: Ayya Tathaloka

  • Full Moon Friday February 26 (Sangha Day Magha Puja / Mahapajapati Parinibbana Day)
    Morning Refuges and Uposatha Precepts: Ayya Sudhamma
    Evening Meditation, Dhamma teaching and discussion: Ayya Tathaloka

  • New moon Saturday March 13 (Guest teacher)
    Morning Refuges and Uposatha Precepts: Ayya Sucitta
    Evening Meditation, Dhamma teaching and discussion: Ayya Khema’s disciple meditation teacher Leigh Brasington

  • Full moon, Sunday March 28 (End of Retreat Blessings & Dedication Day)
    Morning Refuges and Uposatha Precepts: Ayya Sucitta
    Evening Meditation, Dhamma teaching and discussion: Ayya Tathaloka

You are invited and welcome to write us and share your winter retreat time commitment and dedication. We will write it on a Bodhi leaf and hang it together with others on our Dedication tree in our Dhammadharini Monastery meditation hall for the three months of Winter Retreat. Send via email to "Dhammadharini Retreat Manager" <dhammadharini.o...@gmail.com>

Mettā & blessings of the Refuges, precepts, meditation and insight,
in dedication,
The Dhammadharini Community

Resources: We recognize that some people are more visual, some more oral, some a mix of both. With respect for this, we share these free ebooks of Ayya Khema's teachings in case they may be valuable and supportive for anyone during this retreat time.

Ayya Khema Books:

We also share this podcast on "Exploring the Jhānas and Right Concentration" with Leigh Brasington.

Dhammadharini on Retreat_Dhammadharini Monastery.jpg
Winter Retreat at Dhammadharini Monastery
courtesy of Dhammadharini

parappuduwa.info:wp-content:uploads:2014:03:Ayya-Khema_adj.jpg_Ayya Khema Parapuduwa.png
Most Venerable Ayya Khema Mahātherī at Parappuduwa Hermitage Nun's Island, Sri Lanka

Tathaloka Theri_Dhammadharini 18 Oct 2020 [Adhittahana Resolution].jpeg
Dhammadharini founding teacher Ayya Tathālokā: Resolution - Adhiṭṭhāna
courtesy of Dhammadharini

--

Dhammadharini
 Sangha

Monetary
onations
 may be posted to Dhammadharini support foundation at the monastery address or made online (info).

 our monastery
6791 Sturtevant Dr, Penngrove CA
 94951 USA
Phone or text: 707.583.9522

 ☸ our hermitage
Mailing Address: PO Box 16, Jenner, CA 95450  USA
Voicemail or text: 707.583.9523

Friends of Dhammadharini

Jan 12, 2021, 9:56:03 PM1/12/21
to Dhammadharini Google Group post

Dear Dhamma friends -

We look forward to having you join us for our upcoming Uposatha program, on tomorrow Wednesday January 13th. This is the first of six Uposatha programs offered during our winter retreat. This program will have two parts, led this week by our venerables Ayya Tathaloka and Sucitta:

  • 8:30am PST: Join Ven. Sucitta Theri to undertake the Three Refuges and the Uposatha Eight Precepts.

  • 7pm-8:30pm PST: Join Ven. Tathaloka Theri for meditation, Dhamma talk and Dhamma discussion.

The times given are in PST = Pacific Standard Time, please see the Time Zone Converter to find your local time.

You may join the program by Zoom:

Join Zoom Meeting: Winter Observance Days with Dhammadharini

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89462927664?pwd=clgxekdKVmRZWEFNbWxQQUg1R0JBZz09

Meeting ID: 894 6292 7664

Passcode: 7692 = POYA

One tap mobile

+13017158592,,89462927664#,,,,*7692# US (Washington D.C)

+13126266799,,89462927664#,,,,*7692# US (Chicago)

Dial by your location

        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington D.C)

        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)

        +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)

        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)

        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)

        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kbvcS7lun4

With metta,

Friends of Dhammadharini

--

Dhammadharini
 Sangha (our old website is still here, but is going to be going away)

We are in the process of phasing in a new website (preview the new site: dhammadharini.net)