2023 Winter Retreat, “Where the Whole Path Comes Together: Returning Home to the Satipatthanas” (Jan 21st to April 5th)

Dhammadharini Retreat Manager

Jan 21, 2023, 8:36:08 PM1/21/23
to dhamma...@googlegroups.com

Jan 21st to Apr 5th
Greetings from our retreat managers' mailbox!
During winter retreat, please look out for messages from here, save to contacts, and send any necessary messages to this email.

“Where the Whole Path Comes Together: Returning Home to the Satipatthanas”

2023 Winter Retreat Uposatha Program Three Lunar Months: Six Uposatha Programs | New Moon Jan 21st to Full Moon April 5th

For our 2023 winter retreat, our Dhammadharini community will be focusing our practice and teachings on returning "home" to, and deepening our study and practice of, the Four Satipaṭṭhānas - the four fundamental foundations for the establishment of Mindfulness - together.

As we begin the new year, our Dhammadharini Community is preparing to enter Winter Retreat —  a three month time to deepen our practice in greater silence and simplicity, without activities or travels. We warmly welcome you to join along with the monastic community as much as you can, and share in the benefits of this practice opportunity together.

The Dhammadharini community will be entering full winter retreat just after the Lunar New Year Sunday the 22nd of January, and emerging after the Full Moon Uposatha on April 5th, in time for the Astro-Solar New Year. We apologize for being slightly later than we'd hoped in sending out this email - we have adjusted our winter retreat schedule by a few days to adapt with the weather (what a powerful three-week long series of winter storms we just had!) and human circumstances with the passing of close friends and monastics. Moving with the great tide of circumstances, we're beginning our full retreat a week later than earlier planned and emerging a little later - transposing and preserving our winter retreat framework of six Uposatha Teachings entering the New Year.

Since the Buddha’s time, on the Full Moon and New Moon days, the Buddhist community, both monastics and householders have gathered on the Uposatha. The monastics recite their precepts and listen to Dhamma talks, and dedicated lay practitioners -- upasakas and upasikas -- also undertake and renew the Refuges and Eight Uposatha Precepts for one day, including evening fasting, celibacy, and abstaining from adornment and entertainment, drawing near to the Buddha's way of life. They have a daylong retreat dedicated to the three trainings of sila, samadhi and panna, spending the day with increased precepts, in sustained mindfulness and meditation, and listening to, contemplating and discussing the Dhamma teachings.

Dhammadharini’s founding teacher, Ven. Ayya Tathaloka Theri, has said she would like to encourage everyone who can, to join in undertaking a practice commitment together during this year's winter retreat, from near and far, wherever you are, in whatever way is best for you. In support of this, Ayya Brahmavara will offer an online gathering each Uposatha morning, for those who would like to together undertake and affirm the refuges & precepts, and Ayya T will offer the Moon night Meditation and Dhamma teachings ~ throughout the winter retreat ~ to those with the heart to join in this ancient practice of the Buddhist communities, still practiced in the Theravada Buddhist communities of South and Southeast Asia and around the world together. It can be a great moral and energetic support to know and feel that thousands, if not hundreds of thousands or even millions of others around the world are dedicating these days likewise, and tap into this ancient flow and dedication in the course of Awakening. We warmly welcome and invite you to think about making a practice commitment together during this time ~ setting your intention and course for the whole year: from the Lunar New Year now to the AstroSolar New Year in April. This can be as small or as large as you wish; it is really a matter of the mind and heart, of dedication, and of effort. If your life circumstances allow, you are invited to follow along with the Dhammadharini community for the full retreat, joining our online teachings together, live, or at your own best time through our YouTube channel.

The first program is today, Saturday January 21st.  This is the welcome introduction program for the series, and if you don't see this email in time, can be watched later on our "2023 Winter Retreat Uposatha Program" playlist

  •  8:30am: Uposatha Morning Refuges and Eight Uposatha Precepts
    - offered by Ven. Bhikkhunī Ācarinī (Ayya) Brahmavarā

 - For those who missed this morning’s Refuges and Precepts program, you may watch it on YouTube here

  •  7:00 - 9:00pm: Moon Night Meditation, Dhamma Reflection, and Dhamma Discussion
    - offered by Ven. Bhikkhunī Ācarinī (Ayya) Tathālokā Therī*
    *except one Uposatha on the March 7th Full Moon during Ayyā Tathālokā's personal secluded retreat time

The very last program, at 7 pm PST on April 5th, upon the completion of our retreat, will be a Gratitude, Dedication & Sharing of Merit Program, sharing insights and blessings from all of Dhammadharini's resident community and the retreat participants, out to our whole community.

Time Schedule for 2023 Winter Retreat Uposatha Program Practice Gatherings and Teachings The times above are given in Pacific Standard Time (for those abroad PST, not PDT) for California, USA. Please see below for more time zones for the first program on Saturday January 21st, or use a time zone converter for your local times. All of the events will be streamed on YouTube.com | Dhammadharini Monastery, so you can watch at your suitable time.

Pacific/California

Eastern

UK

India/Sri Lanka

Thailand

Refuges & Precepts

8:30 am

Sat 1/21

11:30 am

Sat 1/21

4:30 pm

Sat 1/21

10:00 pm

Sat 1/21

11:30 pm

Sat 1/21

Meditation, Dhamma Reflection & Discussion

7:00 pm

Sat 1/21

10:00 pm

Sat 1/21

3:00 am

Sun 1/22

8:30 am

Sun 1/22

10:00 am

Sun 1/22

In between the online sessions, please join us in contemplating the Dhamma and developing your practice of the Four Satipatthanas throughout your waking hours.

These are the Six 2023 Winter Retreat Uposatha Days (three lunar months):

  1. Saturday January 21, New Moon/Lunar New Year: Welcome & Intro to 2023 Winter Retreat Uposatha Program
  2. Sunday February 5, Full Moon: Kayanupassana (Looking into the Body)
  3. Monday February 20, New Moon: Vedananupassana (Looking into Feelings)
  4. Tuesday March 7, Full Moon: Cittanupassana (Looking into Mind)*
    *Ayya Tathaloka's personal retreat time, guest teacher
  5. Tuesday March 21, New Moon: Dhammanupassana (Looking into Dhamma(s))
  6. Wednesday April 5th, Full Moon: Conclusion, Gratitude, Dedication of Merit

To participate in the Winter Retreat Uposatha programs live via Zoom together, please register on our website. It is a single registration for the whole winter retreat - you do not need to register each time. It is all right to register late, and to come when you can; dedicating yourself with as much commitment as you are able.

Invitation to Enjoy and Benefit from Further Winter Retreat Teachings

with Ayya Brahmavara

During Winter Retreat, we are happily welcoming Ayya Brahmavara back to our community—she will be continuing to offer the regular Sunday and Tuesday programs. Her expression of our Winter Retreat Satipatthana practice theme comes from the preamble to the Satipatthana Sutta, which characterizes Satipatthana in Pāli as "Ekāyano maggo." Ayya Brahmavara's Winter Retreat teaching jingle is "Ekāyano maggo: Way to go!”

You may register for these programs here:

Note, on Tuesday March 7 and Tuesday March 21, these Tuesdays being Full and New Moon days, the Uposatha program will replace the usual Tuesday evening program.

For information on offering Dāna of requisites to the Bhikkhunīs and/or supporting our Dhammadharini teachers and monastic community, please see Dhammadharini Support Foundation's page on dhammadharini.net.

With much metta,

looking forward to learning, practicing and sharing in Dhamma together,

the Dhammadharini Community

--

Dhammadharini Monastery
6791 Sturtevant Dr., Penngrove CA 94951