Update to Samaneri Pabbajja and Bhikkhuni Upasampada Ordination Plans for Sunday Sept 19th: International Bhikkhuni Day

Dhammadharini Sangha

Sep 12, 2021, 11:24:01 PM9/12/21
to Dhammadharini Google Group post
Dear Dhamma friends,
May this note find you well & happy! Or with the Dhamma and path of practice being of much help and support amidst all things!

Mid-Vassa Aranya Bodhi 2021 [low res].jpeg
between the upper and lower landings at the Aranya Bodhi hermitage commons post fire abatement
Ayya Tathaloka (front center), Ajahn Brahmavara (left front center), Samaneri Anuvidita (right front center), Samaneri Tisaranee (left), Samanerin Kaccayana (right), Samaneri Dhammavara (back middle), Anagarika Thavira (far right), Anagarika Sirinanda (far mid back), Nekkhamma Jenn (far left); great photo thanks to Cameron (not pictured)

We have a timely update for you with regards to our ordination plans for this coming weekend on the 2605th full moon anniversary of the founding of our Bhikkhuni Sangha -aka- International Bhikkhuni Day -

First, ordination location (update).
Due to pandemic and wildfires, the building permit has not yet been forthcoming from Sonoma County for our Dana Sala pavilion project at Dhammadharini Monastery. Sangha project supervisor Ayya Sobhana has recommended we hold the ordinations at our Aranya Bodhi Dhamma Dana Sala yurt instead. All our candidates in training at Aranya Bodhi Hermitage have warmly agreed to this. Ayya Sobhana is hopeful that we'll be able to have Kathina (early this year, Oct 17th) in our monastery's new Dana Sala.

Second, ordination date (update).
As Aranya Bodhi is a little far, for the comfort and ease of those coming from afar, we've decided to have both the Samaneri Pabbajja and the Bhikkhuni Upasampada ordinations on one and the same date, Sept 19th.

Third, wise and skillful means (update).
Due to the appearance and wide spread of the Coronavirus Delta variant, we want to be super careful of Sangha safety in our ordination plans. In normal years, our Bhikkhuni and Bhikkhu Sangha gather from far and wide, coming together in forearm's reach of one another (read: not socially distanced) to form the quorum for ordinations of new bhikkhunis. However, with the current situation, for the safety of our candidates and sangha, we've sincerely considered our local health department recommendations and guidelines, and decided to use an old practice passed down in Bhikkhuni Vinaya for bhikkhuni ordinations specifically when there are situations like "fire, flood...or human or non-human dangers to life." Vinaya and its commentary allows that the bhikkhuni ordination in such circumstances (any of ten dangers) is in person with the bhikkhuni sangha, but "by messenger" with the bhikkhu sangha. So our Dhammadharini bhikkhuni sangha will gather together with just one other "household" of bhikkhunis from Aloka Vihara; and our designated bhikkhuni messenger will request the confirmation and completion of the dual ordination from the bhikkhu sangha at their monastery. We much appreciate the wisdom of the Buddha and skill of the ancient Vinaya masters to pass down these helpful and useful methods to us.

Joining from afar.
Only a few close friends will be joining us in person for the ordinations, outdoors, masked, socially distanced. Only the bhikkhuni sangha will be together with the candidates, who are all of our same Dhammadharini monastery household, within the sima. When only the bhikkhuni sangha is in the sima with the candidates, it's possible to spread out: there isn't the requirement to be in forearm's length of one another. Like this, we've developed our "safe as possible" plan.

We've recently been able to obtain and install a wifi extender which we've tested to work moderately well in our sīmā (ordination space) at Aranya Bodhi. And some friends have offered tech support. So, for those who are not able to come in person, who would especially like to join in from afar, it may be possible to watch via Zoom (register here), or via our Dhammadharini Monastery YouTube channel (here). The bhikkhuni sangha and bhikkhuni teachers will also be able to watch the second part of the ordination with the bhikkhu sangha live via Zoom, although that is just a nicety, and not at all required - as this is an ancient method!

Ordination Program Times: Pacific Daylight Time/San Francisco time PDT (all things being impermanent!)
  • ~1-3:30 or 4pm: Samaneri Pabbajja & Bhikkhuni Upasampada with Bhikkhuni Sangha at Aranya Bodhi Hermitage
  • ~5:30-6:15pm: Bhikkhuni Upasampada with Bhikkhu Sangha via Messenger at Bhikkhu Sangha Monastery
Candidates for ordination:
  • Samaneri Pabbajja (novice/lower ordination): Anagarika Thavira
  • Bhikkhuni Upasampada (full/higher ordination): Samaneri Brahmavara, Samaneri Anuvidita, Samaneri Tisaranee, Samanerin Kaccayana
Mid-Vassa at Aranya Bodhi 2021 in Yurt Sala [low res].jpeg
in the Aranya Bodhi hermitage Dhamma Dana Sala yurt before one of the regular Vassa-time Vinaya Studies intensives
Ayya Tathaloka (center), Bhante Jayasara (far left center), Ajahn Brahmavara (far right center), Samaneri Anuvidita (mid-left-center), Samaneri Tisaranee (mid right center), Samanerin Kaccayana (front left center), Samaneri Dhammavara (front right center), Anagarika Thavira (far back right), Anagarika Sirinanda (far right front), Nekkhamma Jenn (far left); also pictured: Ven Bhikkhuni Kusuma memorial photo; thanks to photographer Cameron (not pictured)

Ordination sponsors
  • Opportunity to offer useful supplies for ordination
    see document here
  • Offering Robes for Samaneri Pabbajja
    - for Anagarika Thavira: friend Eleni Monos
  • Offering Robes for Bhikkhuni Upasampada
    - for Ajahn Brahmavara: Srisakul (Susie) Kliks & Family, president of Dhammadharini Support Foundation
    - for Samaneri Anuvidita: brother Miguel Schwan
    - for Samaneri Tisaranee: Maya Jayawardena
    - for Samanerin Kaccayana: Shari Gent, Upasamaya Shirley Kwok and Supatra Chowchuvech, Inspiring Generosity
  • Offering international transportation: Sati Stiftung Foundation
  • Offering flowers
    - Chanaka Ekanayake of Dhammadharini Support Foundation and Inspiring Generosity with Apple Shutintorn Daoruang of Marinflora.com
  • Offering Lunch Dana
    - Manuka & Tharangee Jayakoda Family with Lal & Rasika Senanayake Family
  • Offering Sanghadana gift bags
    - organized by Mala Wijekoon and Chanaka Ekanayake
  • Volunteer Dana
    - preparations: Chathuri & Dilshan Senanayake, Jason V and Amanda P of Oakland Stray Cats, Chanaka Ekanayake, Jill Rayna, Cameron Berry
    - tech support: Cameron Berry and Bhante Jayasara
A note on impermanence
We are mindfully aware that we are in the midst of the California wildfire season, as well as other kinds of impermanence. All good wishes are warmly welcome for a peaceful and safe ordination day at our Aranya Bodhi Hermitage. And, our plan is to be flexible and ready for anything and everything. We will update again closer to the date.

With mettā to all, amidst our joyful preparations,
Dhammadharini Sangha

P.S. For questions regarding the ordinations, please contact Aranya Bodhi Hermitage at awakeni...@gmail.com or tel/text +1 (707) 583-9523.
--

Dhammadharini

 our monastery
6791 Sturtevant Dr, Penngrove CA
 94951 USA
Phone or text: 707.583.9522

 ☸ our hermitage
Mailing Address: PO Box 16, Jenner, CA 95450  USA
Voicemail or text: 707.583.9523