✨Please join us for Dhammadharini's Bhikkhuni Sangha Kathina - Saturday November 4th✨

❧ Dhammadharini Monastery

Nov 3, 2023, 1:30:09 AM11/3/23
to dhamma...@googlegroups.com
Kathina 2023.jpg

Greetings dear Venerable monastics and Dhamma friends -

The Dhammadharini Bhikkhuni community is in the final preparations for the celebration of Kathina “Offering the Robe of Merit” on Saturday November 4th, at our Aranya Bodhi forest hermitage in Jenner, California, on the Sonoma Coast. We welcome you to join us.

This is the first time that Kathina has been held at Aranya Bodhi in 10 years! Please note that registration is required so that we may provide the information you need to reach our remote, off-grid forest hermitage - which is not located on public roads - with a minimum of disturbance to our countryside neighbors.

gold swirl sm.png

Register to join us in person on November 4th

gold swirl sm.png

The Kathina Civara Dana ("Gift of the Kathina Robe/s") aka Kathina Puja ("Offering the Kathina") comes in the month after the end of the Vassa, the three-month rainy season retreat, and is a celebration of community and generosity. It is the traditional time of year for the lay community to express their support for the monastic Sangha by offering essential requisites (food, clothing, shelter, and medicines).

The central feature of Kathina is the offering of cloth to the Sangha, who awards it to one of their members — in some traditions, this cloth is then sewn into a robe before dawn of the next day. This year the cloth will be offered by Chathuri Senanayake & Dilshan Amarathunga Family as leading supporters of our 2567 BE/2023 CE Vassa.

We are expecting a total of 11 monastics: 9 Bhikkhunis, together with 2 Samaneris.

We hope that you will join us! This event will be in-person only, to allow us to focus on community time together, and in consideration of our inconsistent internet service at our remote hermitage.

The day is planned to include:

  • 9:30am: Arrival and setup for Lunch (Amisa Dana) Offering to the Bhikkhuni Sangha

  • 10:30am: Offering of Kathina robe cloth to the Bhikkhuni Sangha

  • 11:30am: Rice Pindapat, Offering of Lunch (Amisa Dana) to the Bhikkhuni Sangha, followed by potluck feast for all

  • Opportunity for everyone to join in sewing of the Kathina robe

  • 2:00pm: Dhamma program at the stupa

  • 2:30pm: Kathina Robe Parade from the stupa

  • 3:00pm: Kathinatthara “Spreading the Kathina,” Dedication & Closing Blessings from the Bhikkhuni Sangha

  • 4:00pm: Completion of program

  • Friends welcome to stay and help with cleanup

Out of care for the vulnerable members of our community, the event will be held outdoors with COVID safety precautions in place.

Volunteers needed and welcome! To stay after the event and help with cleanup.

Please also let us know if you have space in your car to help with carpool!

Register to join us, and for directions on how to travel to our hermitage.

gold swirl sm.png

Register to join us

gold swirl sm.png

For information about supporting our community during the auspicious Kathina season, please see the Support page on our website and our Kathina Wish List.

We look forward to having you join us!

With metta,

the Dhammadharini Community

--