Join us on Monday, March 25, 2024, for the Final Winter Retreat Full Moon Uposatha Program

❧ Dhammadharini Monastery

Mar 21, 2024, 5:21:52 PMMar 21
to dhamma...@googlegroups.com

Dhammadharini 2024 Winter Retreat

Final Full Moon Uposatha Program

Monday March 25, 2024

Evening meditation

Register here to join

This month’s theme: “The Character of a Stream Winner”

Stream

On Monday March 25, 2024, our Dhammadharini Community will be offering the final Full Moon Uposatha program of our winter retreat. In Theravāda traditions, this full moon is known as the Phagguṇa Punnamī in Pāli, Falgun Purnima in India, and Medin Poya Day in Sri Lanka. Per well-known ancient Theravāda Buddhist traditions, this March's Phagguṇa full moon marks the day of the Buddha's first return after his great awakening to his hometown of Kapilavastu, and with his first teachings there, his foster mother Mahāpajāpatī Gotamī stream entry & father Suddhodana Rāja’s stream winning. Pāli texts further record the Buddha's wife and mother of his son Rāhula, princess Bimbā Yasodharā (aka Rāhulamātā)'s stream entry the following day - a very powerful time.

Sharing a new discovery for the final week of Women's History Month

Something new for us, as we learn about and share the "HerStory" of the ancient Women Disciples of the Buddha.
We've learned that this
Phagguṇa Punnamī full moon Uposatha has also been passed down in Pāli-text manuscript traditions long-preserved in southern, central and northern Thailand, as the date of the Parinibbāna of the same Rāhulamātā Bimbā Yasodhara - by then for decades renowned as one of the Buddha's long-established and outstanding fully awakened arahat disciples, established by the Buddha as his bhikkhunī disciple "foremost in attainment of great direct knowledge" (mahābhiññapattānam): the venerable Bhaddā Kaccānā TherīHere at Dhammadharini, Ayya Tathālokā Therī* (and we) learned of these long-standing Pāli manuscript traditions--and recorded within them this very special commemorative date--just on the eve of entering our winter retreat this year. So, this year will be a launching of awareness and remembrance for us--an enormously powerful time for reflecting on Nibbāna. A most suitable conclusion to Women's History Month, and to our focus on stream entry, with its natural culmination in the ultimate, Parinibbāna. Soon we will send out additional information about this portion of the program.

*interested persons who want to learn more are invited to see Ayya Tathālokā's "Diary of Discovery" post on the Dhammadharini website. You may also read the same information, and comment, on her corresponding Facebook post.

Note that, for the remainder of our winter retreat, our Dhammadharini Sangha will continue offering our regular Sunday and Tuesday programs.  You may register for these programs here (there is no need to register again if you have already registered):

This full moon Uposatha day is the last to fall within Dhammadharini’s ongoing winter (rainy season) retreat, which ends on March 31st and completes a nearly three-month annual period of silence and deepening practice.

You are warmly welcome to join together with us from wherever you are for any one of the online teachings, to experience the benefits of this practice opportunity, and to commit to a meditation practice of your own (large or small) during the final days of this year's winter retreat.  As a support, we have been happy to offer teachings on the full-moon Uposatha days throughout the winter retreat, especially for those who have aspired to commit to deepening their practice during this time.

In fact, since the Buddha’s time, on the Full Moon and New Moon days, monastics and householders have gathered on the Uposatha. The monastics recite their precepts and listen to Dhamma talks, and dedicated lay practitioners undertake the Three Refuges and Eight Uposatha Precepts for one day, including evening-meal fasting, celibacy and abstaining from adornment and entertainment. They take advantage of a daylong retreat, spending the day in sustained mindfulness and meditation, and listening to Dhamma teachings.

In keeping with this tradition, on this final full moon Uposatha day of the winter retreat, there will be two offerings as listed below.  You are encouraged to join live on Zoom, or on YouTube for as much and as often as you can:

  • 7:30 - 8:30 am: Three Refuges and the Eight Uposatha Precepts, followed by a guided meditation

  • 7:00 - 9:00 pm: Full Moon Night Meditation, Dhamma Reflection, and Dhamma Discussion

Register here to join on Zoom

The times above are according to Pacific Daylight Time.  Please use a time zone converter for your local times.  All events will be live on Zoom; please register to receive the link. The events will also streamed on YouTube.com | Dhammadharini Monastery, and Facebook.com/Dhammadharini  so you can watch at a suitable time.

In between these online sessions, you are invited to make your meditation and mindfulness practice continuous throughout the day.

We hope you will be able to join us on Monday March 25th for a special day of precepts and practice from your monastery, home, or wherever you may be.

May you be well and happy!

- the Dhammadharini Community

--

Dhammadharini Monastery