Jan 21st-27th Ajahn Brahmali's Teaching in the San Francisco Bay > Ajahn Brahmali's 2023 North American Teaching Tour

❧ Dhammadharini Monastery

Jan 19, 2023, 12:12:28 AM1/19/23
to dhamma...@googlegroups.com

Welcome to California Ajahn Brahmali!

We are happy to let you know that Ajahn Brahmali is about to begin his North America teaching tour, beginning January 21st in California. Teachings will be offered both in-person and online, on the west coast, in the midwest, and out east (☺).

Ajahn Brahmali's Teaching.jpg

Ajahn Brahmali has been a long-time friend of our Dhammadharini Bhikkhunīs' community. He was one of the supporters of the first Theravāda bhikkhunī ordination in Australia back in 2009, for which our Dhammadharini founding teacher Ayyā Tathālokā first served as bhikkhunī preceptor. This will be his second visit to Dhammadharini; his first was in 2011, already one full cycle of the zodiac ago! During our 2021 Vassa, as a knowledgeable senior bhikkhu, Ajahn Brahmali led the venerable Bhikkhu Sangha confirming and completing the Upasampadā of our four candidates receiving Bhikkhunī higher ordination at Aranya Bodhi Hermitage. We deeply appreciate Ajahn's longtime friendship and support for our community, as well as the Bhikkhunīs' communities in Europe and Australia, and we look forward to his visit. More about his life and teaching...

Ven. Bhikkhu Brahmali Mahathero was born in Norway in 1964. He first became interested in Buddhism and meditation in his early 20s after a visit to Japan. Having completed degrees in engineering and finance, he began his monastic training as an anagarika in England in the tradition of Ajahn Chah at Amaravati and Chithurst Buddhist Monasteries. After hearing the words of Ajahn Brahm, he decided to travel to Australia to train at Bodhinyana Monastery. Ajahn Brahmali has lived at Bodhinyana Monastery since 1994, and was ordained as a bhikkhu with Ajahn Brahm as his preceptor in 1996. In 2015, he entered his 20th Rains Retreat as a fully ordained monastic and received the title Maha Thera (Great Elder). Ajahn Brahmali is now the Vice-Abbot of Bodhinyana, and is the primary Vinaya teacher for Bodhinyana and Dhammasara Bhikkhuni monastery. Ajahn Brahmali teaches and leads retreats in Australia, Europe, Asia, and North America.

San Francisco Bay Area Teachings Jan 21st to 24th

  • Sat 21 January 2023: Sati Centre for Buddhist Studies, “Wise Reflection for Unwise Times”

    • Day-long event (9:00am - 4:00pm), in person at Insight Meditation Center in Redwood City, and online

  • Sun 22 January: Karuna Buddhist Vihara

    • 10:00am - 4:00pm, in-person Dhamma talk and meal with Ajahn Brahmali at Karuna Buddhist Vihara, registration required. Online on Zoom starting at 1:30pm.

  • Mon 23 January: Insight Meditation South Bay, "Is your meditation stagnating? Here’s why"

    • Dhamma talk 7:00 - 8:30pm, in-person and online, reservations required

  • Tues 24 January: Berkeley Buddhist Monastery

    • Dhamma talk 7:30 - 9:00p, in person (limited to 60 attendees for COVID safety), and online

Many thanks to Karuna Buddhist Vihara for organizing the California portion of his teaching tour!

The Dhammadharini community is also hosting Ajahn Brahmali for a few quiet days of seclusion after his Bay Area teachings, at our Aranya Bodhi hermitage, before he travels east. He will not be offering any public events with Dhammadharini due to our winter retreat.

Midwest Teachings Jan 27th to Feb 4th After he departs California, Ajahn Brahmali will be continuing his North America teaching tour, with these additional events in the US midwest:

In Minneapolis:

At the Theosophical Society, Wheaton, IL:

  • 3 February: Theosophical Society (talk) “Does Secular Buddhism Exist?”  In-person and online, free.

  • 4 February: Theosophical Society (day-long event) “Cultivating Peace and Insight: A Buddhist Monk’s Wise Reflections for Unwise Times.” In-person and online.

East Coast Teachings February 5th to 15th And finally, Ajahn Brahmali will complete his tour on the east coast:

In New Jersey:

In Massachusetts:

Anumodana and thanks so much to Ajahn for his kindness and generosity to come all the way from Australia to offer teachings in North America, here in California on the west coast, in the midwest, and in the east. Thank you for coming to teach in North America Ajahn!

We hope that you may attend one of Ajahn’s programs, both in-person and online, during his rare visit to North America.

With much metta,

the Dhammadharini Community

--
Dhammadharini Monastery