Re: [DG-NSTIC] Utterly unofficial. Keeping back-of-napkin summary as we go

1 view

Richard G. WILSHER @Zygma

Jul 13, 2011, 3:30:22 PM7/13/11
to dg-nstic

Fyi, output from the collective meeting in DC (or maybe it was VA) which has just ended.  Nothing really which we haven’t already identified ourselves.

As indicated, this is not the list of key points from the Rapporteur but those noted over the phone by Jamie.  Item 10 means make best use of existing mechanisms etc., don’t discard them.

Richard G. WILSHER
CEO, Zygma LLC
O:  +1 714 965 99 42
M: +1 714 797 99 42

www.Zygma.biz

Jul 13, 2011, 3:53:04 PM7/13/11
to Richard G. WILSHER @Zygma, dg-nstic
What meeting are these the notes from?

www.Zygma.biz<http://www.Zygma.biz/>

1. Government is stakeholder not admin special role - as an eventual rulemaker/legislative source
2. Govt provides seed money before self sufficiency
3. Transparency & openness of process and tools
4. Use SGIP model of phased development of governance with a quick open design phase, then approval, then execution
5. Consciously include consumer / associations/ end-user stakeholders
6. No pay to play: dues <> influence weighting
7. International engagement through existing stakeholder & standards orgs, sensitivity to no closed systems
8. Minimize adverse legal effects, preserve voluntary, stakeholder-led nature of project
9. Peer relationship among steering particupants (? means no weighted voting?)
10. Don't break anything that works.

~ James Bryce Clark
~ General Counsel, OASIS
~ http://www.oasis-open.org/who/staff.php#clark

www.identi.ca/JamieXML<http://www.identi.ca/JamieXML>
www.twitter.com/JamieXML<http://www.twitter.com/JamieXML>
http://t.sina.cn/jamiexml
http://facebook.com/oasis.open

Joni Brennan

Jul 13, 2011, 4:01:43 PM7/13/11
to McDowell, Brett, dg-nstic
This was an informal gathering of stakeholders from various organizations (like Kantara, OIX, InCommon, OASIS, W3C, SCA, Safe-Biopharma, etc) so that we could understand if each org was reaching similar or very different conclusions.  In the end each org who attended is basically reaching similar conclusions.  That said each org is still putting in its OWN response to the NOI.

I hope that clarifies.

thx
=Joni

Joni Brennan
IEEE-ISTO
Kantara Initiative | Executive Director
voice:+1 732-226-4223
email: joni @ ieee-isto.org
gtalk: jonibrennan
skype: upon request

Join the conversation on the community@ list -

McDowell, Brett

Jul 13, 2011, 4:12:53 PM7/13/11
to Joni Brennan, dg-nstic
Ah, very interesting. Well, the one thing I don't see called out in that summary is whether the Steering Group should be something new, or if it should be formed within one of the existing .org's. Was that discussed in this ad hoc meeting?

Brett

email: joni @ ieee-isto.org<http://ieee-isto.org/>

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 12:53 PM, McDowell, Brett <bmcd...@paypal-inc.com<mailto:bmcd...@paypal-inc.com>> wrote:
What meeting are these the notes from?

On Jul 13, 2011, at 3:30 PM, Richard G. WILSHER @Zygma wrote:

Fyi, output from the collective meeting in DC (or maybe it was VA) which has just ended. Nothing really which we haven’t already identified ourselves.

As indicated, this is not the list of key points from the Rapporteur but those noted over the phone by Jamie. Item 10 means make best use of existing mechanisms etc., don’t discard them.

Richard G. WILSHER
CEO, Zygma LLC

O: +1 714 965 99 42<tel:%2B1%20714%20965%2099%2042>

www.identi.ca/JamieXML<http://www.identi.ca/JamieXML><http://www.identi.ca/JamieXML>
www.twitter.com/JamieXML<http://www.twitter.com/JamieXML><http://www.twitter.com/JamieXML>

http://t.sina.cn/jamiexml
http://facebook.com/oasis.open

DG-N...@kantarainitiative.org<mailto:DG-N...@kantarainitiative.org><mailto:DG-N...@kantarainitiative.org<mailto:DG-N...@kantarainitiative.org>>

Richard G. WILSHER @Zygma

Jul 13, 2011, 4:32:21 PM7/13/11
to dg-nstic
Yes - Jeremy Grant stated that he did not think that any one of the bodies
present (and possibly he intended that to be an even broader statement) was
able to do the whole NSTIC SG task - it was too big, therefore there would
need to be some kind of 'uber-gruppe'. My impression was that option (c)
was generally-accepted as a non-starter; everyone would like to be The
Chosen One but recognised that some form of collaboration was necessary,
possibly focused around one of the bodies. OASIS SGIP was formally noted as
a model for how funding be accomplished.

There were leanings (as I heard it), but no outright suggestion, that a
group be pre-emptively formed to take charge of the SG instantiation.

Also of enigmatic note - Jamie Clark made heavily veiled references to "lots
of things happening on the 21st/22nd that we all need to be on top off" but
claimed he couldn't yet say what - a kind of 'watch this space' scene.

That and the ten commandments are about it from +150 hrs of man(woman) hrs.

Richard G. WILSHER
CEO, Zygma LLC
O: +1 714 965 99 42

M: +1 714 797 99 42