Re: [DG-NSTIC] DG-NSTIC Digest, Vol 2, Issue 23

Paul Simmonds

Jul 15, 2011, 6:59:08 AM7/15/11
to dg-n...@kantarainitiative.org
Money drive outcomes!

If what you want is the best people for the job, whether for the Steering Group, or some of the other groups that may be required, then unless they are altruistic or independently wealthy you will not get them unless the organisations they work for sees a benefit from their participation and is prepared to fund it.

The alternative is that the people you will end up with will be representing large corporates, probably all US based, who have a huge vested interest in seeing something that can make lots of money from; [I've seen one beta under NDA and it's almost diametrically opposed in concept and philosphy from what I believe the outcome should look like].

The "best people for the job, irrespective of country or location" should also drive acceptance of the solution with key groups such as Privacy Groups, Governments, Standards Bodies etc. etc. - both in the US and in other countries.

The alternative, and we've seen this is Europe in many countries, is that laudable aims retrench back into a Single-Sign-On solution for access to government services in that country only; or as in the case of the UK rejected by the citizens over privacy concerns and abandoned by Government due to escalating costs and a diminishing ROI.

My 2 cents

Paul