Re: [DG-NSTIC] Mature draft KI NDG Response - v0.1.0 - Funding aliens

Richard G. WILSHER @Zygma

Jul 14, 2011, 1:34:29 PM7/14/11
to dg-n...@kantarainitiative.org

Though I don’t personally agree with the stance being suggested, I sense a groundswell towards revising this text and as Editor must try to find a consensus solution.  Bob, as the instigator of this thread, would you please propose a revision, and be kind enough to follow the process for doing so per my mail of yesterday evening.

Thanks,

Richard G. WILSHER
CEO, Zygma LLC
O:  +1 714 965 99 42
M: +1 714 797 99 42

www.Zygma.biz

Jul 14, 2011, 11:36:44 PM7/14/11
to dg-n...@kantarainitiative.org

OK, so in advance of Bob's edit, and thinking that cutting the references to funding leaves KI's response to 4.5 pretty bare, can I suggest we give NSTIC another alternative (one I have already hinted at hiding behind the term 'political conundrums' in a previouos post).

If NSTIC wants particular input from overseas organisations (and I can't speak for private sector here, but take for example a government agency), … to have a better than 50/50 chance of getting that input, they would be well advised to approach it through diplomatic channels.  So if the request flows .. NSTIC - Dept of Commerce - foreign embassy in DC or a US embassy in target nation..... then the resultant yes/no decision comes out of the machinations of diplomatic quid pro quos/Heads of State Offices etc and arrives at the agency bosses desk as 'you are inputting to NSTIC - make it so', as opposed to the agency or agency personnel being approached direct and the boss weighing up the costs and benefits of engagement.  The latter approach often gets put into the 'too hard' basket and quietly dropped..)

So it would read something like this then (attached)

Cheers
Colin

From: R...@Zygma.biz
To: dg-n...@kantarainitiative.org
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 17:34:29 +0000
Subject: Re: [DG-NSTIC] Mature draft KI NDG Response - v0.1.0 - Funding aliens
NSTIC Governance NOI - KI comment form v0 1 0 NZ.docx

McDowell, Brett

Jul 15, 2011, 7:29:29 AM7/15/11
to Colin Wallis, dg-n...@kantarainitiative.org
What if we just focus this recommendation around "invited experts" and suggest that it may be necessary at times for the NPO to fund travel if they want "the best and brightest" to participate in the SG deliberations. We can cite our experience of doing this and how we solved the potential conflicts of interest in the past (by "we" I mean one of Kantara's co-founders, the Liberty Alliance -- Joni knows the history). This way we are making a helpful contribution, vetted by our own experience, and we've avoided the whole "foreigner" controversy.

--Brett

________________________________
From: R...@Zygma.biz<mailto:R...@Zygma.biz>
To: dg-n...@kantarainitiative.org<mailto:dg-n...@kantarainitiative.org>

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 17:34:29 +0000

www.Zygma.biz<http://www.zygma.biz/>

I made this comment on a call and also think that funding foriegin travel should be removed.

On 14 Jul 2011, at 05:38, Bob Pinheiro wrote:

I also made the comment (Q4.5) that the Kantara NOI response should not propose that the government fund foreign travel by Steering Group members. My comment was not accepted, with the explanation that "if the government wants international participation, it has to be prepared to fund whatever actions are required."

<NSTIC Governance NOI - KI comment form v0 1 0 NZ.docx>_______________________________________________
DG-NSTIC mailing list
DG-N...@kantarainitiative.org<mailto:DG-N...@kantarainitiative.org>

Hill, Helen

Jul 15, 2011, 8:09:01 AM7/15/11
to McDowell, Brett, dg-n...@kantarainitiative.org
I think that Brett's suggestion is an excellent approach

Sent from my iPhone
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email contains information from the sender that
may be CONFIDENTIAL, LEGALLY PRIVILEGED, PROPRIETARY or otherwise protected
from disclosure. This email is intended for use only by the person or entity
to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, any use,
disclosure, copying, distribution, printing, or any action taken in reliance
on the contents of this email, is strictly prohibited. If you received this
email in error, please contact the sending party by reply email, delete the
email from your computer system and shred any paper copies.

Note to Patients: There are a number of risks you should consider before using
e-mail to communicate with us. See our Privacy Policy and Henry Ford My Health
at www.henryford.com for more detailed information. If you do not believe that
our policy gives you the privacy and security protection you need, do not send
e-mail or Internet communications to us.

Mark Lizar

Jul 15, 2011, 8:17:39 AM7/15/11
to Hill, Helen, dg-n...@kantarainitiative.org
I like that approach too. +1

Bob Pinheiro

Jul 15, 2011, 9:08:36 AM7/15/11
to dg-n...@kantarainitiative.org
This is a reasonable compromise. Kantara can propose that the SG have
some limited budget for travel, which at the SG's discretion can be used
to pay travel expenses for individuals who otherwise do not have travel
funds, and whose participation is deemed by the SG to be of sufficient
importance to merit the expense.

Bob

Frazier-McElveen, Myisha

Jul 15, 2011, 12:27:35 PM7/15/11
to Hill, Helen, McDowell, Brett, dg-n...@kantarainitiative.org
+1

Sincerely,
Myisha

Myisha Frazier-McElveen
Practice Manager, Identity Management
703-766-6203 (O) | 240-751-7780 (C)
myisha.fraz...@truestonefed.com

Flexible Solutions, Proven Results
http://www.truestonefed.com/IAMgmt/EnterpriseIAM.php

David L. Wasley

Jul 15, 2011, 12:51:16 PM7/15/11
to NSTIC DG
I like this approach (obviously :-).  And BTW, it might be "to participate in the SG deliberations or the activities of WGs including participation in international SDOs."

Thank's Brett.

David

Richard G. WILSHER @Zygma

Jul 15, 2011, 12:56:53 PM7/15/11
to dg-n...@kantarainitiative.org
So why don't we adopt Brett's wording then, which is more concise? I'll
revise the text.
Consider it done and this thread closed.

OK, so DLW chimed in as I was about to hit 'Send' - I like that too David.

Done,

Richard G. WILSHER
CEO, Zygma LLC
O: +1 714 965 99 42