Time to lament some treasured restaurants that have closed

Spungo

Apr 11, 2003, 2:04:29 AM4/11/03
I did not have much time to read my message board for a while, but
when I checked it out this week there were some posts discussing some
of the great places that are no more. Got to talking with my parents
and realized how many of the cool places are GONE.

Some nominees, may of which have been gone for 20+ years.:

SOUTHERN KITCHEN - all you could eat (but NOT buffet) seafood and
southern cooking. Even the salad dressing and hush puppies stood way
out. It was an outrageous orgy of pure lunacy. Best place ever.

FLIP'S - far lower GV ave. Italian. Half price nights. Everything I
ever ate there was succulent, then one day I went there starving and
it was history. Thank goodness Pietro's was just up the road.

SHOTGUN SAM'S - wicked pizza, cool place by White Rock spillway.
(Honorable mention - Shakey's).

LIM YEE - Lakewood. Stellar Chinese, best Lobster Cantonese
imaginable. Snow Pea, a good place too, occupies that space now I
believe.

SPANISH GALLEON - Medallion Center. Whole grilled flounder, lobster
thermidor (sp?). Ultra-cool atmosphere. OK, they did almost fatally
poison me once, but every other time was GREAT :)

"FORGOTTEN NAME" CHINESE - next door to Spanish Galleon in Medallion.
They were open real late and the owners would bust their butts nine
ways from Sunday to make sure you had a perfect time with them. Sadly,
the owner was killed on Abrams leaving the parking lot. I called my
parents tonight and none of can remember the name of the restaurant.

ASHBURN'S ICE CREAM - Skillman/Live Oak. Lemon custard. Mmmmm.
Decisively superior to the other ice cream stores, with one exception:

SMILING JIM'S ICE CREAM - a short-lived Lakewood sugar shack that had
outstanding homemade ice cream and desserts. The guy drove a
completely insane Gremlin with crudely painted giant ice cream cones
all over it.

YANNI'S - lower GV. Stellar Italian. Extremely nice people. Yet
another Lackbluster Video store occupies that space now.

SUGAR STREET SEAFOOD - Gaston/Garland/E. Grand. Fantastic fried
alligator and combination seafood platters. I think that space now has
a Blookfloster Video in it too. Might the king of video rental be
scheming to deprive me of my favorite old restaurants.

LITTLE GUS - homey Greek fare in a super place to meet friendly
people. It was a place where the whole experience was much more than
just the food.

HOWDY'S DELI - Lakewood. They had this Pocketburger thing - pita bread
filled with crumbled seasoned ground beef and typical burger fixings.
It was spec-freakin-tacular. Killer hot dogs too.

BOB WHITE'S BARBECUE - Gaston Ave. by the lake. Long ago I got hurt
very badly. Numerous consecutive surgeries meant no food for a while.
When I could eat again, Bob White's was the first thing I asked for.

WIND JAMMER - N. Oak Cliff. All you can eat seafood rampage. Another
place I arrived at with a rumbling stomach, only to find a CLOSED FOR
GOOD sign on the locked door.

SIZZLER - Garland Road. We always avoided chain restaurants, but this
was an exception. In terms of a trough-laden feed lot for the masses,
it was pretty doggone good. There's a pawn shop there now.

THE RIB - W. Lovers Ln. All you can eat BBQ in an upscale environment.
It was wonderful, but too expensive and destined to fail in a city
full of good, cheap BBQ.

FRED'S BBQ - upper GV Ave. My favorite sauce ever.

Wow, how sad. It brings to mind the list of Saturday Night Live
stiffs.

My parents are getting old and we don't go out much anyomre. I have my
own household now and we have our new favorite places to eat. But
looking back, growing up in a family of 5 and spending a lot of time
in the above establishments, we had some great times. I could write a
hundred pages.

In a way, life is but a liner succession of restaurants.

___________________
www.WhiteRock.info
The Ultimate Guide to the White Rock Area

Jeff Edwards

Apr 11, 2003, 10:55:46 AM4/11/03
"Spungo" <WhiteRockDea...@ftcDeathToSpammerssolutions.com> wrote in
message news:3e965ab0....@news.dallas.sbcglobal.net...

> SOUTHERN KITCHEN - all you could eat (but NOT buffet) seafood and
> southern cooking. Even the salad dressing and hush puppies stood way
> out. It was an outrageous orgy of pure lunacy. Best place ever.

I haven't thought of that place in a long time. Back in high school, our
German teacher used to take all the officers from German club there once a
year for dinner. It was quite a sight, both for the food and to see a large
German man inhale large parts of a chicken in one bite.

> SPANISH GALLEON - Medallion Center. Whole grilled flounder, lobster
> thermidor (sp?). Ultra-cool atmosphere. OK, they did almost fatally
> poison me once, but every other time was GREAT :)

That's not the one that had a building actually shaped like a boat, was it?

> ASHBURN'S ICE CREAM - Skillman/Live Oak. Lemon custard. Mmmmm.
> Decisively superior to the other ice cream stores, with one exception:

There was also one of these in Bedford that I remember from childhood. I
think we always referred to it as "Polar Bear Ashburns". It's hazy, but I
seem to remember someone dressed as a panda standing outside on the
weekends.

I think everyone has the spots that they loved that are no longer with us.
Personally, my family was pretty budget-conscious when I was young, so a lot
of the spots I remember are less-than-stellar, but nostalgic still. Stuff
like:

Chow Soon - Chinese food in Bedford - avoid a Chinese restaurant if even the
name is a play on words.

York Steakhouse - North East Mall. One of the memories I will always carry
of my grandfather is him ordering the sirloin tips with mushroom gravy every
time.
--
Jeff Edwards
paranoi...@sbcglobal.net

Spungo

Apr 11, 2003, 10:42:12 AM4/11/03

>I haven't thought of that place in a long time. Back in high school, our
>German teacher used to take all the officers from German club there once a
>year for dinner. It was quite a sight, both for the food and to see a large
>German man inhale large parts of a chicken in one bite.

LOL! A large German man can be quite the grocery destroyer. I'm stark
living proof of that fact.

It was the endless supply of shirmp, real crabmeat, and oysters that
got me hummin'. I so badly wish I could go there right now.

>> SPANISH GALLEON - Medallion Center. Whole grilled flounder, lobster
>> thermidor (sp?). Ultra-cool atmosphere. OK, they did almost fatally
>> poison me once, but every other time was GREAT :)
>
>That's not the one that had a building actually shaped like a boat, was it?

Nope, don't think so. They went slap-nuts on the whole galleon thing,
but the fell short of that. Actually, the building has not changed,
just the shell. They were right on the corner of the shopping center,
Kracker Seafood eventually took their place.

Ya got me thinking - add one to the list:

THE PIG STAND - great pulled pork BBQ (like you find everywhere in
Memphis) in a little place that was in the Medallion parking lot right
in front of the Spanish Galleon. Oddly enough, the police were always
there chowing down. It had a Centennial Booze Barn in it last I
noticed.

>> ASHBURN'S ICE CREAM - Skillman/Live Oak. Lemon custard. Mmmmm.
>> Decisively superior to the other ice cream stores, with one exception:
>
>There was also one of these in Bedford that I remember from childhood. I
>think we always referred to it as "Polar Bear Ashburns".

You are correct, sir. Every time I see any representation of a polar
bear, I can almost taste that lemon custard.

>I think everyone has the spots that they loved that are no longer with us.
>Personally, my family was pretty budget-conscious when I was young, so a lot
>of the spots I remember are less-than-stellar, but nostalgic still. Stuff
>like:

Hey, lots of our fondest dining memories are from Poncho's. I think we
could have had fun in a burning oil refinery.

>Chow Soon - Chinese food in Bedford - avoid a Chinese restaurant if even the
>name is a play on words.
>
>York Steakhouse - North East Mall. One of the memories I will always carry
>of my grandfather is him ordering the sirloin tips with mushroom gravy every
>time.

What is it with grandfathers ordering the same thing? I guess when
you've lived that long, you know damn good and well what you like to
eat, eh?

Thanks for enduring my rambling trip into the past.

Ed Price

Apr 11, 2003, 11:22:00 AM4/11/03
Little Bit of Sweden - great place to eat.

It was in the same center as the Inwood theater, but on the backside.

"Spungo" <WhiteRockDea...@ftcDeathToSpammerssolutions.com> wrote in
message news:3e96d0f4....@news.dallas.sbcglobal.net...

El Capitan

Apr 11, 2003, 2:18:07 PM4/11/03
Anybody remember the Chinese restaurant that had the dragon heads
outside spouting flame? They had gas jets hooked up somehow and blew
out about a foot long flame. I was completely fascinated by them when I
was a child.

Of course, being a child, I was not aware of driving directions, my sole
navigational skills being getting from the front door into the back seat
of the car.

I seem to recall it was in North Dallas, maybe in the Bachman lake area.
This would have been circa 1975-76. This ring a bell with anyone?

--
It's not an assault weapon, it's a Sport Utility Rifle!

Mark Shaw

Apr 11, 2003, 2:40:26 PM4/11/03
I was just thinking the other day that I missed the CFS at Judge
Bean's -- probably not the best, but it was the first one I had
when I moved to Texas. You tend to remember stuff like that.

--
Mark Shaw <ms...@notnetcom.com> http://mshaw.panix.com/~mshaw
"How can any culture that has more lawyers

Copyright Viola Violin Violator

Apr 11, 2003, 2:47:18 PM4/11/03
Strictly Tabu-

Lomo Alto and Lemmon- Fine Jazz Club and Italian restaurant.

This place was open for almost 50 years, as I understand it.

The location housed a sports bar the last time I checked, as though we
don't have enough of those, and we have too many 50 year old jazz
clubs.

Does anyone know why Strictly Tabu closed down?

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 06:04:29 GMT,
WhiteRockDea...@ftcDeathToSpammerssolutions.com (Spungo)

Spungo

Apr 11, 2003, 5:25:14 PM4/11/03
Mercy me, I forgot some good ones.

Little bit of Sweden was amazing. I forgot all about them. They had
the rotating salad bar that was restocked from the other side of the
wall. As O kid, I thought that was the coolest thing in history. Their
food was wonderful, right down to the blueberry sundae they gave you
at the end.

Judge Beans was a pleasure too. Buy one/get one CFS Tuesday nights.
Outrageously overtopped tater skins. I'll never forget it. I wonder
what they did with my dollar bill from the wall? LOL

I must have missed the flaming heads Chinese place. I certainly would
have remembered that.

Thanks for all your contributions.

! RB

Apr 11, 2003, 5:06:54 PM4/11/03

"Spungo" <WhiteRockDea...@ftcDeathToSpammerssolutions.com> wrote in
message news:3e96d0f4....@news.dallas.sbcglobal.net...

> [...]

> Ya got me thinking - add one to the list:
>
> THE PIG STAND - great pulled pork BBQ (like you find everywhere in
> Memphis) in a little place that was in the Medallion parking lot right
> in front of the Spanish Galleon. Oddly enough, the police were always
> there chowing down. It had a Centennial Booze Barn in it last I
> noticed.

Descendants of the Dallas Pig Stand, which opened in 1921, are still going
strong in San Antonio. My parents used to love to go there.

http://www.hollyeats.com/Pig%20Stand.htm
http://excursia.com/destinations/USA/TX/sanantonio/stories/20010215/din_pigs
tand.shtml
http://sanantonio.citysearch.com/profile/10096731
http://crm.cr.nps.gov/archive/19-9/19-9-5.pdf

Steve Silberberg

Apr 11, 2003, 8:43:35 PM4/11/03
wrote:

>and realized how many of the cool places are GONE.

The Flying Burro
Rowdy's Roadhouse (actually had good food)

--------------
Steve Silberberg
mailto:steve.si...@alum.mit.edu
Steve's Tiny Book of Romance
http://www.callipygianproductions.com/stbor/stbor.html
"For man so feared his ignorance, that he created god in his image"-Eric 3:16

Doug

Apr 11, 2003, 11:13:37 PM4/11/03
Ahhh... Fred's BBQ, I think I remember them. Had all you could eat ribs
on Sundays, and damned if I didn't on many occasions!!!

I miss Arcadia Bar & Grill, on lower G'ville across from the Arcadia
Theater. It was awesome, someone else took it over & F'd it up, original
owners came back but the damage was already done. I'd love to get the
recipe for Rob's Sauce!!

"Spungo" <WhiteRockDea...@ftcDeathToSpammerssolutions.com> wrote in
message news:3e965ab0....@news.dallas.sbcglobal.net...

Ray Double

Apr 12, 2003, 12:26:59 AM4/12/03
Dunston's Steak House in Euless. It's where I met my wife............

Ray

Shane Crowe

Apr 12, 2003, 2:34:05 AM4/12/03
Uno's pizza place in Addison - damn good Chicago style pizza.

Tim Isakson

Apr 12, 2003, 8:06:12 AM4/12/03
Cade's Bowl of Beans, south of downtown (I forget what street - I'm
thinking Akard, but I'm pretty sure that's just where Baby Back Shaq is,
which was where we went to the day we drove down and found Cade's closed).

The best Cajun restaurant food I've ever had - pretty much a guys
kitchen, with a couple of tables on the porch . . . great fried
cornbread, you could get awesome fried turkey around the holiday's, and
the cobblers were to die for.

It's been gone 5+ years now, but I still miss going down there!

Greg McKinley

Apr 12, 2003, 9:35:30 AM4/12/03
"Spungo" <WhiteRockDea...@ftcDeathToSpammerssolutions.com> wrote in
message news:3e965ab0....@news.dallas.sbcglobal.net...
> I did not have much time to read my message board for a while, but
> when I checked it out this week there were some posts discussing some
> of the great places that are no more. Got to talking with my parents
> and realized how many of the cool places are GONE.
>
> Some nominees, may of which have been gone for 20+ years.:.....

My favorite "gone" restaurant is Cunzie's. IT WAS A VERY GOOD ITALIAN
RESTAURANT. We eat out a lot and it still is the best Italian restaurant in
town. Yes the quality was every bit as good as Il Sorento and others though
it was a notch less upscale. It was on Greenville at Caruth Haven in the
same lot as another, greatly missed, Chinese restaurant. The name escapes me
but it and its sister location upstairs in Addison were the best Chinese
I've ever eaten, and I've eaten a lot!

Bill

Apr 12, 2003, 6:05:26 PM4/12/03

Cattlemans Steakhouse in Preston Center.

Jerry Davis

Apr 12, 2003, 8:39:04 PM4/12/03
I did not have much time to read my message board for a while, but
when I checked it out this week there were some posts discussing some
of the great places that are no more. Got to talking with my parents
and realized how many of the cool places are GONE.

The Zuider Zee on 7th Street.

Ah, yes ... the Zuider Zee

Weber Baker

Apr 13, 2003, 12:39:17 AM4/13/03

>>SPANISH GALLEON - Medallion Center. Whole grilled flounder, lobster
>>thermidor (sp?). Ultra-cool atmosphere. OK, they did almost fatally
>>poison me once, but every other time was GREAT :)
>>

> That's not the one that had a building actually shaped like a boat, was it?

I believe you may be thinking of the "Bounty" which was on the north
west rim of the old Harry Hines Traffic Circle. Today you exit off of HH
to the west to go onto Northwest Highway/Loop 12 towards Las Colinas.
Just after the exit the road splits - to the left takes you to 183 - to
the right takes you to NW Highway. I think there is or was a Jaguar
dealership there. It was near that.

The whole place looked like the front end of a ship. Inside was nautical
kitsch. They sold 'yards' of beer. Had a menu much like a Red Lobster
has today.

It was a spot I used to insist on as a place for a birthday dinner when
I was 8-9 years old. It's been gone a very long time.

Weber

Weber Baker

Apr 13, 2003, 12:50:28 AM4/13/03
One I liked, though I can't remember the food that much, was the 94th
Aero Squadron at Love Field. It was done up like a World War I squadron
headquarters (you recall - the 'war to end all wars'). They had windows
that looked out over the runway and speakers relaying the Love Field
Tower chatter.

Rumor had it that it was dismantled piece by piece and that it was to be
rebuilt - perhaps near Addison Airport. It never happened, but
supposedly somewhere in storage is all the stuff - pictures, propellers,
bricks and all.

I don't know how authentic it was (not too authentic - control tower
radio was not a biggie in the Great War), but it had enough ambiance to
make you feel that any minute Snoopy would come in to quaff a few root
beers........

Weber Baker

Apr 13, 2003, 12:50:56 AM4/13/03

Shirley Smith

Apr 14, 2003, 1:00:24 AM4/14/03
I miss Uno;s too. Was that the only one? Could there be another one?
Shirley

--
S. SMITH
Plano, TX

I wasn't born in TEXAS, but I got here as fast as I could.
"Shane Crowe" <nob...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

Randal Chapman

Apr 14, 2003, 9:19:57 PM4/14/03
"Shirley Smith" <fo...@airmail.net> wrote in message news:<AFCBCFDD523FD4DE.D6683180...@lp.airnews.net>...

> I miss Uno;s too. Was that the only one? Could there be another one?
> Shirley

UNOs is a chain, and as far as I know there is still one in Tulsa
Oklahoma. I think the Addison location was the last gasp for them in
Texas though.

_Randal

chuck n.

Apr 14, 2003, 10:58:55 PM4/14/03
PHIL'S Deli on Oak Lawn near Lemmon, and let's not forget LUCS B&B,
right across the street. Both were very good, the sort of places that
you just knew ould never go away. Boy, was I wrong.

NALER'S DRUMSTICK in Oak Cliff, on Hampton, near Illinois.

Just down the street on Hampton Rd was
the home of some other darn good "broasted" chicken, at the DAIRY MART
(that's the place where Stevie Ray Vaughan was working when he fell into
a grease trap, and decided that playing guitar might be an easier way to
make
a living).

YOUNGBLOODS, once a year during the State Fair, at Fair Park.

FREDS BARBEQUE, in Wynnewood Village (due to being nearby the house, as
much as any other reason).

NOPALITOS mexican food joint on Harry Hines, near where KERA is now.

SAKURA japanese restaurant on Maple, near Oaklawn. Seems like it might
have been in or near an Apt complex. It was still around in the late70s
when I was driving a cab, and was a popular destination for the trade
mart crowd.'

HAMBURGERS BY JAMIE, on Lemmom near Reagan....maybe the best french
fries to ever pass through these lips.

FERGUSON CAFE, on S. Akard, near Corinth Street....some of the very best
home style cooking this city boy has ever been served!

I think I'll go to PRINCE'S HAMBURGERS tomorrow, before ends up in the
memories vault.

chuck

Shirley Smith

Bruce Davis

Apr 17, 2003, 9:32:08 AM4/17/03
One of my "fast food" fixes is a chiliburger and a frosty mug of root beer
from The Price of Hamburgers.
The root beer is the genuine article--just like the stuff in the old A&W
root beer stands--no carbonation!
I'm guessing the the old guy who owns the place will not be able to work
much longer--visit the place while you can.

Ray Double

Apr 18, 2003, 12:24:33 AM4/18/03
On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 18:57:14 -0500, "Shirley Smith"
<fo...@airmail.net> wrote:

>In the current Texas Highways, there is a big section on TX hamburger
>places. Princes is in there and now I want to go there.
>SS

Stay away from the bathroom. It's truly gross, at least the last time
I was there. Do the employee's use the same bathroom? Can you say
HepA.

Ray

W kyoti

Apr 19, 2003, 2:33:28 PM4/19/03

>>and realized how many of the cool places are GONE.

The Vickery Feed Store ? I knew it when it was on upper Greenville in a cool
old building. They moved down GV later to a nicer building but without the
character. I haven't been down that way in a while but I'm pretty sure it was
gone last time I went by. They had a killer sandwich called the Vickery
Venture - roast beef, spinach, blue cheese and some other stuff I don't
remember.

Justabubba

Apr 20, 2003, 1:16:31 AM4/20/03
Uno's is still open in downtown Fort Worth.

Snowfeet1

Apr 21, 2003, 4:46:58 PM4/21/03
I miss Randy Tar (king crab legs) and the Railhead (lobster and steak).

Jeff Edwards

Apr 21, 2003, 10:26:38 AM4/21/03
"Randal Chapman" <fran...@swbell.net> wrote in message

I'm just catching up, so sorry if someone pointed this out already, but as
far as I know the one in Sundance Square in Ft. Worth is still alive and
well.
--
Jeff Edwards
paranoi...@sbcglobal.net

Bernie

Apr 22, 2003, 9:36:46 PM4/22/03

The original Pizzeria Uno is in Chicago. Their second location,
Pizzeria Due, is a block away from Pizzeria Uno. Many, many years
later, probably as Chicagoans settled in other parts of the country,
locations were opened elsewhere. The distributed locations all go by
the name Pizzeria Uno. There was a Pizzeria Uno on McKinney, and
another on Beltline in Addison. Alas, both are closed. The nearest
Pizzeria Uno is now in Fort Worth.

You've started something. Having not had it for a long time, you've now
reawakened a craving. We may have to make a trip to Fort Worth for
original deep dish pizza (more like a quiche really). Probably a good
time to visit an art museum too.

Bernie

Doug

Apr 23, 2003, 7:04:50 AM4/23/03
> The original Pizzeria Uno is in Chicago. Their second location,
> Pizzeria Due, is a block away from Pizzeria Uno. Many, many years
> later, probably as Chicagoans settled in other parts of the country,
> locations were opened elsewhere. The distributed locations all go by
> the name Pizzeria Uno. There was a Pizzeria Uno on McKinney, and
> another on Beltline in Addison. Alas, both are closed. The nearest
> Pizzeria Uno is now in Fort Worth.
>
> You've started something. Having not had it for a long time, you've now
> reawakened a craving. We may have to make a trip to Fort Worth for
> original deep dish pizza (more like a quiche really). Probably a good
> time to visit an art museum too.

Although not quite as good, the Chicago style pizza Pizza Hut was selling
for a while was not too bad..

Mark Shaw

Apr 23, 2003, 10:12:21 AM4/23/03
In article <mrupa.53350$Si4....@rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net>,
"Doug" <dmaster...@THISyahoo.com> wrote:

[Pizzaria Uno]

>Although not quite as good, the Chicago style pizza Pizza Hut was selling
>for a while was not too bad..

Hmm, this reminds me all of a sudden -- and getting back to the
original subject line -- of the closure of Old Chicago in Addison.

Their pizza may not have been perfectly Chicago style, but it was
damn good. As were the Buffalo wings.

--
Mark Shaw <ms...@notnetcom.com> http://mshaw.panix.com/~mshaw
"How can any culture that has more lawyers
than butchers call itself a civilization?" - Alton Brown

Jeff Edwards

Apr 23, 2003, 10:41:15 AM4/23/03
"Mark Shaw" <ms...@bangnetcom.com> wrote in message

> Hmm, this reminds me all of a sudden -- and getting back to the
> original subject line -- of the closure of Old Chicago in Addison.
>
> Their pizza may not have been perfectly Chicago style, but it was
> damn good. As were the Buffalo wings.

We frequented Old Chicago years ago - probably not too long after it
opened - and were really impressed with the stuffed pizza, calzones, wings,
etc. Plus, they had a nice beer selection at a time when that was still not
the norm. Anyhow, at some point it seemed like the quality dropped off
markedly. I'm not sure if they underwent an ownership or management change
or what, but we went back a couple of more times not long before their
closure and were pretty underwhelmed. Does anyone know if there was in fact
some sort of change that happened?
--
Jeff Edwards
paranoi...@sbcglobal.net

Shirley Smith

Mark Shaw

Apr 24, 2003, 11:02:29 AM4/24/03
In article <fCxpa.726$th3.50...@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>,

"Jeff Edwards" <paranoi...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>"Mark Shaw" <ms...@bangnetcom.com> wrote in message
>> Hmm, this reminds me all of a sudden -- and getting back to the
>> original subject line -- of the closure of Old Chicago in Addison.
>>
>We frequented Old Chicago years ago - probably not too long after it
>opened - and were really impressed with the stuffed pizza, calzones, wings,
>etc. Plus, they had a nice beer selection at a time when that was still not
>the norm. Anyhow, at some point it seemed like the quality dropped off
>markedly.

Interestingly enough, they seem to be expanding in Denver. I was
just up there on family business, and noticed one new store on
Colorado Boulevard in Glendale, and another due to open this week
in Tamarac Square (the old Houlihan's location, where I was a line
cook in 1978).

Jeff Edwards

Apr 24, 2003, 11:23:29 AM4/24/03

> In article <fCxpa.726$th3.50...@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>,
> "Jeff Edwards" <paranoi...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >We frequented Old Chicago years ago - probably not too long after it
> >opened - and were really impressed with the stuffed pizza, calzones,
wings,
> >etc. Plus, they had a nice beer selection at a time when that was still
not
> >the norm. Anyhow, at some point it seemed like the quality dropped off
> >markedly.
>
> Interestingly enough, they seem to be expanding in Denver. I was
> just up there on family business, and noticed one new store on
> Colorado Boulevard in Glendale, and another due to open this week
> in Tamarac Square (the old Houlihan's location, where I was a line
> cook in 1978).

I took a look at their website and it appears that for the moment they are
totally out of Texas. I'm not sure if the Addison one was the only one or
not, but it seems weird to have one location in a state for that long
without expanding. It would appear that they are owned by Rock Bottom.
Have they pulled out of the area as well? It seems like they have/had a
location almost next door to Old Chicago, and I know there was at least one
RB in Houston too. Maybe - and this is just speculation - RB bought them at
some point and that was the catalyst I was asking about above.
--
Jeff Edwards
paranoi...@sbcglobal.net

Mark Shaw

Apr 26, 2003, 3:17:00 PM4/26/03
In article <RjTpa.29$_z6.19...@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>,

"Jeff Edwards" <paranoi...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>I took a look at their website and it appears that for the moment they are
>totally out of Texas. I'm not sure if the Addison one was the only one or
>not, but it seems weird to have one location in a state for that long
>without expanding. It would appear that they are owned by Rock Bottom.

My memory on this is a little fuzzy, but I seem to recall that they
were bought out by RB sometime during the early 1990s -- maybe '91
or '92.

Since RB is a brewpub chain, I'll bet they just got tired of dealing
with the <spit> TABC.

Aside: how many brewpubs survive in the D/FW area today?

>Have they pulled out of the area as well? It seems like they have/had a
>location almost next door to Old Chicago, and I know there was at least one
>RB in Houston too.

Unknown. There was indeed one directly west of OC in Addison.

> Maybe - and this is just speculation - RB bought them at
>some point and that was the catalyst I was asking about above.

I'm pretty sure RB has owned them for some time.

Oh well -- my taste in pizza runs more to NY style these days, and I
can get decent wings at Hooters (if I remember to order 'em naked).

Randal Chapman

Apr 30, 2003, 12:42:45 PM4/30/03
ms...@bangnetcom.com (Mark Shaw) wrote in message news:<Kfsq+AeR...@panix.com>...

> Aside: how many brewpubs survive in the D/FW area today?

Very few considering the size of the DFW metroplex. And the ones that
hang on tend toward the less interesting. All I can think of are:

Humperdinks : Semi-decent beer but nothing unusual. Food is TERRIBLE,
mostly coming from industrial fryers, they twice served stuffed
jalapenos that didn't have any jalapeno in them - just a wad of
breading.

Two Rows : Their beer recently got a LOT better. For years it was
infected abysmal swill and their be-hatted frat crowd has more of a
penchant for Miller Lite anyway. The food isn't great here either,
about par with Friday's I would suspect although I haven't been to a
Friday's in years.

Big Buck : They make a few good and interesting beers besides the
normal amber/pale/sout of most brewpubs. I got a problem with their
silly theme though, don't make me order foods that all sound like
inedible deer anatomy. The steaks can be pretty good, but everything
else (salads, sides, etc.) are typical generica chain fare.

BJ's Brewhouse : Not really a brewpub in DFW since they don't brew on
premises, but they are brewpubs in other areas and Saint Arnold does a
mighty fine job of interpeting their house recipes. I also like the
fact that they have Arrogant Bastard on tap plus a good selection of
Belgian Ales, and decent beer selection like that is very rare in
suburban chains. Food is decent, nothing gourmet and about on par with
oh... I dunno, it kind of reminds me of the colossal portions you get
at the Cheesecake factory or something. We always share. A new
location is opening on Beltline in Addison and will definitely make it
Addison's #2 beer selection next to the Flying Saucer. Plus they will
be able to sell growlers, unlike the one in God-forsaken Lewisville
which is in an evil evil dry county or something.

I lament the demise of our interesting brewpubs... Routh Street was
probably the greatest beer-wise that DFW has known. They sort of
imploded. Shot themselves in the foot and by the time it turned around
it was too late for them. Now Mariano's Mexican has taken over their
spot and painted a once tasteful and unique place garish atomic yellow
and shocking red - ugh. Yegua Creek was another really great place,
and a reminder that brewpubs were supposed to have great food too,
unlike all our current incarnations in DFW.

I don't think the TABC had much to do with any of them closing. Apathy
plays a large part. The people of Dallas by and large just don't give
a shit about good beer. On the one hand you've got rednecks who are
scared of anything darker than pale piss yellow/green, and the other
you've got a huge Mexican population which mainly sticks to suitcases
of Miller Lite. I think it may be time to move to Colorado...

_Randal

Steve Silberberg

Apr 30, 2003, 1:07:13 PM4/30/03
On 30 Apr 2003 09:42:45 -0700, fran...@swbell.net (Randal Chapman)
wrote:

>Very few considering the size of the DFW metroplex. And the ones that
>hang on tend toward the less interesting. All I can think of are:

Did you like Rock Bottom? By the way, about 2 paragraph into reading
this, I thought, "That sounds like a Randal post" and I guess I was
right.

It's something I used to do in another newsgroup a lot -- see if I
could guess the poster.

--------------
Steve Silberberg
mailto:steve.si...@alum.mit.edu
Steve's Tiny Book of Romance
http://www.callipygianproductions.com/stbor/stbor.html
"For man so feared his ignorance, that he created god in his image"-Eric 3:16

Randal Chapman

May 1, 2003, 1:53:14 PM5/1/03
Steve Silberberg <steve.si...@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message news:<fq00bvcjtqtbk2p6c...@4ax.com>...

> On 30 Apr 2003 09:42:45 -0700, fran...@swbell.net (Randal Chapman)
> wrote:
>
> >Very few considering the size of the DFW metroplex. And the ones that
> >hang on tend toward the less interesting. All I can think of are:
>
> Did you like Rock Bottom? By the way, about 2 paragraph into reading
> this, I thought, "That sounds like a Randal post" and I guess I was
> right.
>
> It's something I used to do in another newsgroup a lot -- see if I
> could guess the poster.

Rock Bottom seemed pretty variable the few times I went. Initially I
thought the beer was good, but then I found it only average. Of course
the yardstick for measuring brewpubs in Dallas was considerably longer
then with Routh Street, Yegua Creek, HubC(r)ap, and Breckenridge to
name a few.

I sent you a couple emails giving profuse thanks for the Victory Prima
Pils - I guess you liked it? It was pretty good stuff, even though it
had been dead for a few months ;-)

_Randal

Mark Shaw

May 1, 2003, 2:39:26 PM5/1/03
In article <82f33a89.03043...@posting.google.com>,

fran...@swbell.net (Randal Chapman) wrote:
>I lament the demise of our interesting brewpubs... Routh Street was
>probably the greatest beer-wise that DFW has known.

Yeah, I loved Routh Street. It was probably a good thing for
my wallet (an my liver) that they were pretty hard for me to
get to.

I liked Yegua Creek too, but I always thought the food was a bit
weird.

>I don't think the TABC had much to do with any of them closing. Apathy
>plays a large part. The people of Dallas by and large just don't give
>a shit about good beer.

Well, maybe. I probably shouldn't spout off about stuff I
don't know much about, but my impression is that when brewpubs
were legalized, the megabrewers, via their pals in the legi-
slature, forced in some rather onerous tax rates and regulations
upon them. That can't be good for business. So, not TABC
specifically, but probably the state itself isn't too conducive
to having brewpubs survive.

> I think it may be time to move to Colorado...

Heh. I frequently travel back and forth to Denver on family
business, and always make a point to stop off at Phantom Canyon
in Colorado Springs. They've got a porter there that's just
magnificent -- and I actually don't much care for the style.

By the way, there's a fine little brewpub in Fredericksburg,
if you're ever down that way. And of course Cooper's in Llano
is kind of on the way....

Randal Chapman

May 2, 2003, 11:34:36 AM5/2/03
ms...@bangnetcom.com (Mark Shaw) wrote in message news:<NTUs+AeR...@panix.com>...

> Heh. I frequently travel back and forth to Denver on family
> business, and always make a point to stop off at Phantom Canyon
> in Colorado Springs. They've got a porter there that's just
> magnificent -- and I actually don't much care for the style.

Right On! I LOVE Phantom Canyon! I also really like Il Vicino, a cool
little pizza place & brewpub around the corner from there, on Tejon I
think. Il Vicino has got open fermenters, really old world type
brewing equipment that you don't see too much anymore.

Colorado Springs and Divide contain my two favorite breweries, Bristol
Brewery (on Tejon about a mile outside downtown) and Only The Best in
Divide. Bristol isn't a brewpub but they do have a nice little bar
where you can buy pints and bottles to go. Only The Best is a TINY
lager-only brewery in what looks like a shack off of highway 24 just
before the juncture to go to Cripple Creek. They've got a couple of
burly woodsman-type guys there hand filling 22oz bombers of some of
the best Pilsener you will taste in America. They also make a killer
Marzen and dark lager... Man, it's been a while since I've been up
that way and with the blast-furnace that is a Texas summer coming on I
think I'll need to scrape up my pennies for a road trip.

_Randal

Mark Shaw

May 5, 2003, 9:50:34 AM5/5/03
In article <82f33a89.03050...@posting.google.com>,

fran...@swbell.net (Randal Chapman) wrote:
>ms...@bangnetcom.com (Mark Shaw) wrote in message news:<NTUs+AeR...@panix.com>...
>> Heh. I frequently travel back and forth to Denver on family
>> business, and always make a point to stop off at Phantom Canyon
>> in Colorado Springs. They've got a porter there that's just
>> magnificent -- and I actually don't much care for the style.
>
>Right On! I LOVE Phantom Canyon! I also really like Il Vicino, a cool
>little pizza place & brewpub around the corner from there, on Tejon I
>think. Il Vicino has got open fermenters, really old world type
>brewing equipment that you don't see too much anymore.

Never knew it existed, and I used to spend a *lot* of time in
those environs when I lived in C/S. Of course, that was back in
the Bush(41) Administration, before brewpubs....

Thanks for that pointer, as well as the rest. I'll check 'em out!

TOM BLACKWELL

May 8, 2003, 7:53:18 AM5/8/03
The Blue Front - - Downtown in the tunnel, and on Elm Street. They
also occupied the building previously used by the Jack Ruby Carousel
Club.

Shakey's Pizza - - near Northwest Hwy. and Abrams.

Kip's Big Boy (multiple locations - - the same taste is now available in
Detroit)

Riscky's Bar B Que (closed in the West End but continues in Fort Worth)

The Torch (Chris Semos)

--
Regards, TOM BLACKWELL, PO Box 25403, Dallas, Texas 75225

Rich Andrews

Jul 19, 2003, 11:57:56 PM7/19/03
ms...@bangnetcom.com (Mark Shaw) wrote in news:LYpp+AeR...@panix.com:

> In article <mrupa.53350$Si4....@rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net>,
> "Doug" <dmaster...@THISyahoo.com> wrote:
>
> [Pizzaria Uno]
>
>>Although not quite as good, the Chicago style pizza Pizza Hut was selling
>>for a while was not too bad..
>
> Hmm, this reminds me all of a sudden -- and getting back to the
> original subject line -- of the closure of Old Chicago in Addison.
>
> Their pizza may not have been perfectly Chicago style, but it was
> damn good. As were the Buffalo wings.

How about Caliente's on Greenville. I wish I had their recipe for the sweet
and spicy jalepeno relish with carrots! Fresh made while-you-watch
tortillas. That place is gone.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
magic."

Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - ), "Technology and the Future"

Venger

Jul 20, 2003, 12:34:28 AM7/20/03

"Rich Andrews" <n0-...@yah0o.com> wrote in message
> I wish I had their recipe for the sweet