Wings- the buffalo kind..

Paul Andrew Lewis

Aug 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/7/98
Any good spots that specialize in hot wings? Stopped by Wings of Glory but
was dissappointed. Saw an ad in Observer for chain called Wing Stop or
something... Have a location in Justin of FM407...

--
Aux Etoiles,

-Paul Lewis
pal...@jove.acs.unt.edu

Mark Shaw

Aug 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/8/98
In article <6qe165$l...@hermes.acs.unt.edu>,

Paul Andrew Lewis <pal...@jove.acs.unt.edu> wrote:
>Any good spots that specialize in hot wings? Stopped by Wings of Glory but
>was dissappointed. Saw an ad in Observer for chain called Wing Stop or
>something... Have a location in Justin of FM407...

In my opinion the best hot wings around can be found at Old Chicago
in Addison. Just be sure to tell them you want the *hot* wings,
otherwise you'll probably get them with a sort of Jamaican jerk spice.

Ask for "extra hot" -- that's just about right.

--
Mark Shaw <ms...@netcom.com>
PGP public key available at ftp.netcom.com:/pub/ms/mshaw

T3LN3T P1MP

Aug 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/8/98
On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Mark Shaw wrote:

> In my opinion the best hot wings around can be found at Old Chicago
> in Addison. Just be sure to tell them you want the *hot* wings,
> otherwise you'll probably get them with a sort of Jamaican jerk spice.

Personally, I prefer Hooters' wings. If you like them hot, order the
Bentley style (It's not on the menu). I think one of the big reasons I
like the wings there is cause they are like real wings, not those
shriveled up pieces of meat you get most places.. you can actually pull
chunks of meat off the bone.. not just nibble it off.

If you haven't had them, and are willing to give it a try, mon-fri from
3p-6p is "triple nickel wings". Meaning, you order some fries and you can
have all the wings you want for .15 a piece. If you pull out the old
abacus, you'll know that it means you can get 20 wings for $3. I can eat
the heck out of wings.. and 20 of their wings are pretty filling.

If you like them EXTREMELY hot, like so hot you eat one or two then pause
for an hour to recover, there is a place in Austin called "Pluckers" where
their motto is "If you don't like our wings, we'll give you the bird!"
Just go their and order some "En Fuego" style wings. Order a LARGE water
with no ice for that one.. takes a while to get a refill. :)

ji...@eanut.org ||| tuscadero ||| B0X Owners Operating
Dallas, Tx, USA ||| T3LN3T P1MP ||| Binary Services (BOOBS)
http://www.eanut.org/~jimsu ||| nin pj sp ||| ICQ: 3784075

Mark Shaw

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.980808...@m00shy.eanut.org>,

T3LN3T P1MP <ji...@eanut.org> wrote:
>On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Mark Shaw wrote:
>> In my opinion the best hot wings around can be found at Old Chicago
>> in Addison. Just be sure to tell them you want the *hot* wings,
>> otherwise you'll probably get them with a sort of Jamaican jerk spice.
>
>Personally, I prefer Hooters' wings.

The difference here is mainly between breaded and non-breaded wings. I
agree that Hooter's has great breaded wings, if you like that sort of
thing. Personally, I don't, but YMMV.

Here's the basic recipe for non-breaded buffalo wings:

- Have on-hand two sticks of melted butter combined with a
five-ounce bottle of Tabasco sauce (yes, an entire bottle),
and a bit of salt -- and keep it hot

- Deep-fry your wings in 380-degree oil, without any seasoning
or breading or anything else at all

- As soon as the wings are done, shake the oil off and IMMEDI-
ATELY toss them in the butter and Tabasco

The secret is that the oil drives off all the water in the chicken, so the
wings soak up the sauce. Yum-bos!

Not sure what Old Chicago adds to this, but I suspect there's some vinegar
in it. Or maybe formic acid. Good stuff, though. Be sure to ask for blue
cheese dressing instead of ranch....

(Again, I'm not disparaging Hooter's wings. In fact, if forced to eat
there, that's probably what I'd order.)

The Waco Kid

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
Last time I was at Old Chicago, the staff was trying some new recipes on
wings and gave me and my friends some free samples to get our thoughts. I'm
not sure if they have added them to the menu yet, but one set was vinegary
and quite hot, with a nice pungent flavor, and the other set was a wonderful
slightly sweet honey glaze that was hot enough to remove paint from a wall.

--
The Waco Kid
ran...@airmail.net

Mark Shaw wrote in message <6UKz1AeR...@netcom.com>...

>In article <6qe165$l...@hermes.acs.unt.edu>,
>Paul Andrew Lewis <pal...@jove.acs.unt.edu> wrote:
>>Any good spots that specialize in hot wings? Stopped by Wings of Glory but
>>was dissappointed. Saw an ad in Observer for chain called Wing Stop or
>>something... Have a location in Justin of FM407...
>

>In my opinion the best hot wings around can be found at Old Chicago
>in Addison. Just be sure to tell them you want the *hot* wings,
>otherwise you'll probably get them with a sort of Jamaican jerk spice.
>

>Ask for "extra hot" -- that's just about right.

The Waco Kid

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
It has been a while since I've popped in there, but I don't remember
Hooters' wings being breaded.

Dan Parker

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
Gee, someone with the word "pimp" in their name prefers Hooters....go
figure.

T3LN3T P1MP <ji...@eanut.org> wrote in article
<Pine.LNX.3.96.980808...@m00shy.eanut.org>...

> On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Mark Shaw wrote:
>

> > In my opinion the best hot wings around can be found at Old Chicago
> > in Addison. Just be sure to tell them you want the *hot* wings,
> > otherwise you'll probably get them with a sort of Jamaican jerk spice.

Toni

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
The Waco Kid wrote in message
<3E8CDE74C87ED0CE.144C6A58...@library-proxy.airnews.ne
t>...

>It has been a while since I've popped in there, but I don't remember
>Hooters' wings being breaded.

Yes; in fact Hooters now sells their wing breading mix and sauce in most
grocery stores.

Peace, Love and Cheesy Poofs,

Toni ^_^
reply to toni (at) particlenet (dot) com
{All the Spammers can DIE! They can die and go to HELL!}

T3LN3T P1MP

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
On 10 Aug 1998, Dan Parker wrote:

> Gee, someone with the word "pimp" in their name prefers Hooters....go
> figure.

Heh.. hey, if you paid attention, you'd see I had "BOOBS" in my sig too!
But really.. I like those wings.. and not just so I can see the hooters at
Hooters. Actually, I get kind of embarrassed there sometimes. ;) Like I
said before, the main reason I prefer their wings is because they have
more meat than most places.

Herlitz, Kirk (BNR:RICH2:2K29)

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
This may be a little off topic, but the recipe below
calls for tobasco, while I've heard that "Crystal" hot
sauce is the best to use, but I've never seen it at
the local Tom Thumb with the rest of the hot sauces.
Anyone know where this stuff is available?

Please copy my e-mail if you respond.

Thanks,

Kirk

Mark Shaw wrote:

> In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.980808...@m00shy.eanut.org>,
> T3LN3T P1MP <ji...@eanut.org> wrote:

> >On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Mark Shaw wrote:
> >> In my opinion the best hot wings around can be found at Old Chicago
> >> in Addison. Just be sure to tell them you want the *hot* wings,
> >> otherwise you'll probably get them with a sort of Jamaican jerk spice.
> >
> >Personally, I prefer Hooters' wings.
>

> The difference here is mainly between breaded and non-breaded wings. I
> agree that Hooter's has great breaded wings, if you like that sort of
> thing. Personally, I don't, but YMMV.

Steve Tate

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
Herlitz, Kirk (BNR:RICH2:2K29) (kher...@americasm01.nt.com) wrote:

> This may be a little off topic, but the recipe below
> calls for tobasco, while I've heard that "Crystal" hot
> sauce is the best to use, but I've never seen it at
> the local Tom Thumb with the rest of the hot sauces.
> Anyone know where this stuff is available?

Actually, the choice of hot sauce is pretty much one of personal
taste. I used to use Texas Pete for my wings, but now my favorite
sauce is probably Jamaica Hellfire... not the hottest sauce I've had
(although the "Doc's Special" version is considerably hotter if you
really want it), but very full-flavored.

--
Steve Tate --- srt[At]cs.unt.edu | Gratuitously stolen quote:
Dept. of Computer Sciences | "The box said 'Requires Windows 95, NT,

Saleh W. Igal

Aug 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/21/98
Trappey's Red Devil, available at the Thumb, is a similar style to
Crystal. Both are pretty mild and vinegary. Another good one with a
similar style is a pepper-garlic sauce; I don't remember the brand,
but it has a cartoon dog on the bottle.

If you prefer hotter wings (or chicken strips) than the vinegary
sauces can provide, I've found that Grace Original Jamaican Hot Pepper
Sauce works much better than Tobasco. Grace is slightly hotter, and
has a fuller flavor and a good long burn. The Grace sauce is
available in the caribbean section of Fiesta.

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998 15:44:19 -0500, "Herlitz, Kirk (BNR:RICH2:2K29)"

Saleh W. Igal (sa...@brba.com)