What next for Winter Wonderland?

Joel

Jan 24, 2011, 7:06:57 PM1/24/11
to DF Movement Open Discussion Group
This year saw our first attempt at a 'split' national event held at
two different sites, after one main site which could hold everyone
could not be found.
How did people find it?
What worked? What didnt work?
Should we be focusing our energy on finding this elusive big venue, or
on trying to make these two work as best as they can?
Should we go back to one venue, despite the fact that we at this point
could not accommodate as many people as we did this year?

Tell us what you think!

Samir

Jan 28, 2011, 7:11:27 PM1/28/11
to DF Movement Open Discussion Group
I think the "split" wasn't bad and may turn out to be a positive step
for the movement. This year, many more DFs had an opportunity to come
to Winter Wonderland, as opposed to ones in the past where places
would run quickly, with only about 120 DFs going in total.
It would be wrong to sacrifice allowing more DFs, many of whome
perhaps have not got involved with the "national aspects" of the
movement, to go to WW and instead hold only one WW, where only the
"informed" DFs could get places every year.
We should give up our efforts on finding one larger venue and instead
focus on developing this idea of more localised DF events.

Samir x

Kt Moon

Jan 29, 2011, 4:20:52 PM1/29/11
to DF Movement Open Discussion Group
I think in terms of numbers I thought it was great that we were able
to accommodate such a large number of DFs, however the split meant
that completely different experiences were had and while thats a good
thing, the argument of 'which was better' inevitably arises,
consequently, feelings are hurt and people feel they missed out - if
this split is to work perhaps coordinators of both events should work
together to have a more parallel programme

although having everyone at one big venue would be ideal, it just
isn't going to be feasible, especially since DFs is getting bigger all
the time and more and more people are getting involved nationally so
the split, in a way, cannot be avoided

also, looking for bigger venues is always worthwhile even if it isn't
suitable for one big WW so I wouldn't leave that option out

anyway that's what i think :) x