Education Advice

lb3000

Aug 14, 2005, 8:47:38 PM8/14/05
to Dexigner Design Group
I am 23 years old and want to get a degree in Graphic Design of some
sort. I am looking for advice/opinions on what the best course of
action would be in getting started with a formal education in this
field. I live in Boston and wouldn't mind going to school in
Pennsylvania. Does anyone have an feedback on The Art Institutes, good
or bad, and how their program is. If I am going to go to school for a
degree in design, I want to learn when I do. I'd like more than just a
piece of paper when I am done. Thanks for your opinions.

jgree...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2005, 7:58:09 PM8/22/05
to Dexigner Design Group
The Art Institute is a great school but you can get a good education in
Graphic Design from state/public colleges as well. Personally, I think
that getting a BA is more valuable than an Associate's degree because
of the extra requirements. Frankly, a degree doesn't make you any
better a designer, it just helps get your foot in the door and makes
your resume look more impressive. The EDUCATION you get while earning
your degree is what is important. A good Graphic Designer knows as
much about as many things as possible. A good graphic designer is
well-rounded and knowledgeable about a lot of different subjects. A
great graphic designer absorbs information rapidly, interprets it
quickly and effectively and with sensitivity to the subject matter,
client and situation. A great graphic designer is just as technical (if
not MORE so) as they are artistic and is constantly striving to improve
their "game." Great graphic designers have a strong work ethic, strong
curiosity and an open mind. Great graphic designers understand and keep
up with technology and attempt to learn as much about manufacturing
their designs as possible. An education from a respected institution is
nice, but you can learn as much from a lesser one if you seek out
knowledge. You can even learn everything you need to know without going
to college at all. Study culture, not just yours, but any culture you
come across. Study symbology and typography. Go to a poor college
without technology and learn how things were done before computers,
then learn how to use a computer to do the same things (you'll have a
greater understanding of the concepts behind what you do.) But perhaps
most importantly, great graphic designers use Spell Check.