Setting up local chapter

Sendhil Chokkalingam

Jan 15, 2015, 10:43:03 AM1/15/15
to devox...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am interested in setting up local chapter in Redmond,WA. What is the procedure for setting up local chapter

Thanks
Sendhil

Arun Gupta

Jan 15, 2015, 11:31:32 AM1/15/15
to devox...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sendhil,

Read more about the US chapter at: http://usa.devoxx4kids.org/

The requirements to start a local chapter are listed at:

http://www.devoxx4kids.org/join-us/

Also read through the manifesto:

http://www.devoxx4kids.org/manifesto/

Let me know when you are ready to start.

Thanks,
Arun
> --

http://blog.arungupta.me
http://twitter.com/arungupta

Sendhil Chokkalingam

Jan 22, 2015, 11:09:04 PM1/22/15
to devox...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Arun, I sent a formal request

Danielle Akini

Aug 8, 2015, 5:17:37 PM8/8/15
to Devoxx4Kids
Hi Devoxx4kids community,

I am Danielle AKINI from Cameroon ( Central AFRICA ). I am interested to setting up a Devoxx4kids chapter here in Cameroon.
I have allready launched a Tech training center for kids. Starting on December, we made a certain number of amazing activities with kids.
Please, a look on our website  (Sory, it is in french ) . For more pictures, visit our Facebook page or our twitter account .

I have take the time to find the application form in the website, but nothing.

Hope I will get help here :)

Thank you lovely family.

Audrey Neveu

Aug 10, 2015, 3:27:12 AM8/10/15
to Devoxx4Kids
Hi Danielle,

There is no form :)

Requirements to start a local chapter are listed here : http://www.devoxx4kids.org/join-us/.

You can also have a look at our manifesto : http://www.devoxx4kids.org/manifesto/.

Let us know if you need more help!

Best regards,
Audrey

Danielle Akini

Aug 10, 2015, 3:38:18 AM8/10/15
to devox...@googlegroups.com
Morning Audrey,
I have allready read the Manifesto and Read the Requirements.
So what is the next steep.
Please, I need more help :)

Danielle AKINI
Africa IT Women Lead
Lead Women TechMakers of GDG Douala / Cameroon

Audrey Neveu

Aug 10, 2015, 8:22:58 AM8/10/15
to devox...@googlegroups.com
Great, I'll contact you for next steps :)

Daniel Mihut

Dec 26, 2015, 7:50:59 AM12/26/15
to Devoxx4Kids
Hi

I read the requirements and the manifesto too and I want to start a chapter in Cluj-Napoca, Romania.
What I have to do next?

Regards
Daniel Mihut

Stephane Rondal

Dec 27, 2015, 3:09:05 AM12/27/15
to Devoxx4Kids
Hi Daniel,

Great that you want to start a chapter, it's great fun ;-)
Here are a few things you'll need to consider:

- find a venue: I like to pick one already equipped with computers, such as a school,a university, ...
- find co-animators and helpers: from my experience approximately 1 co-animator for 5 children
- select a date: saturdays work fine
- select your workshops: depending on what you have, your budget, there are plenty of choices, even with zero budget: scratch, codecombat, minecraft modding, ...
- craft a page announcing the event + registration mechanism (can be a simple email, or eventbrite, ...). I use jotform integrated with a google spreadsheet.
- promote the event

In all cases, start small (small number of workshops, small number of childen, ...), then grow from there over time.

Hope this helps to get started.

Cheers,
Stephane

Daniel Mihut

Dec 27, 2015, 3:39:30 AM12/27/15
to devox...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stephane

Thank you for advices!
I already teach an after schoiol class , robotics and Minecraft Python programming.
In the beginning I want to focus my Devoxx4kids chapter on Robotics (lego and arduino).
Our first activity will be on Ftiday, 29 january.

Do you think it's ok?

Regards
Daniel

Stephane Rondal

Dec 27, 2015, 10:30:23 AM12/27/15
to Devoxx4Kids
Mindstorms are often very much appreciated by the children.
On the other hand, I've found Arduino a bit more tough to grasp for the kids, but that is the case for Minecraft too, and still it can work well too.
As of the date, it depends on your target audience, some dates and times of the day will work better than others.
Are you planning an after school event?
BTW I'll be holding a Devoxx4Kids in Liege, Belgium, on Saturday 30 January ;-)

Cheers,
Stephane

Stephan BeJUG

Dec 27, 2015, 11:31:55 AM12/27/15
to devox...@googlegroups.com, buch...@voxxed.com
Hey,

Maybe a,so consider to reach out to Voxxed Days Bucharest (in cc) maybe you can align your events and/or reuse venues...

Good luck,

Stephan

Sent from my mobile

Stephan Devoxx