DevOpsDays Boston in 2014?

James Meickle

Jan 28, 2014, 4:46:44 PM1/28/14
to devop...@googlegroups.com
The event listing is looking a bit sparse for 2014, so why don't I throw this one out here? :) For as much as I love New York City, it's not the only place in the Northeast US, and Boston has a ton of local meetup groups (including an exceptionally large Python one).

We did have Monitorama here before (which I sadly missed) - probably would draw a similar crowd?

-James M.

Dan Rowe

Jan 28, 2014, 4:57:37 PM1/28/14
to devop...@googlegroups.com

+1 DevOpsDays Boston.

Ideally avoiding the monitorama PDX date.

-Dan

--

---

Pete Cheslock

Jan 28, 2014, 5:04:00 PM1/28/14
to devop...@googlegroups.com
I would love to see a DevOpsDays in Boston again - been a while.  I had chatted with Mike Rembetsy at the NYC one last year that we should swap back/forth between a boston and NYC one.   The MSFT NERD center is free IIRC so it helps keep costs down.

Would be happy to help if there are others that might want to get involved in planning.

Jeremy Katz

Jan 28, 2014, 5:08:09 PM1/28/14
to devop...@googlegroups.com
Another +1 and another willing to help out.

- Jeremy

Dan Rowe

Jan 28, 2014, 5:12:02 PM1/28/14
to devop...@googlegroups.com

+1 on the willing to help as well.

And can probably gather a few volunteers for the event day as well.

Little, Christopher

Jan 28, 2014, 5:12:34 PM1/28/14
to devop...@googlegroups.com
+1 on helping
From: Dan Rowe <d...@dracosplace.com>
Date: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 5:12 PM
To: "devop...@googlegroups.com" <devop...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [devopsdays] DevOpsDays Boston in 2014?

Mike Rembetsy

Jan 28, 2014, 6:27:37 PM1/28/14
to devop...@googlegroups.com, Dave Zwieback
Hiya folks

I am adding Dave z here.  Dave and I basically already booked NYC right after velocity in NYC.

We are estimating close to 350 folks based upon growth and last years interest.

I think a Boston event after the next NYC one is a fine idea and Dave and I would be absolutely willing to help.

Hope this helps and we are supportive of devopsdays Boston for sure down here in NYC!

Thanks

Mike

P.s cheslock you know you will be at velocity NYC anyway ;)

Sent from my iPhone

Dave Owczarek

Jan 28, 2014, 7:41:13 PM1/28/14
to devop...@googlegroups.com
+1 for me too. Happy to get involved.

-Dave

gWaldo

Jan 29, 2014, 9:15:37 AM1/29/14
to devop...@googlegroups.com, devop...@googlegroups.com
I'm a fan of this idea.

-Waldo

Composed with two thumbs.

Brian Zheng

Jan 29, 2014, 10:24:57 AM1/29/14
to devop...@googlegroups.com
I'll be glad to help as well.

In terms of Venue, the NERD center is great for meetups, but can it hold 300-400 people? I've only been to events with ~100 before. Also, parking would be difficult/expensive in Cambridge during the day.

I maybe able to help with the venue. I've never attended a previous DOD. If I can get an idea what's needed (e.g. headcounts, equipment, food), I can help find a place.

Little, Christopher

Jan 29, 2014, 10:33:35 AM1/29/14
to devop...@googlegroups.com
the last DoD at the NERD center (2011?) was the smallest I’ve seen (75 people?) and sort of maxed the NERD center out and parking was $$$$$ — these days from what I’m seeing, DoD can run upwards to 300+ folks easily. It’s usually limited by the size of the venue, more than the size of the interest :)

Need a main room for morning presentations and then several break-out rooms for afternoon, and a way to provide breakfast and lunch. And a spot for beers nearby for later :)

From: Brian Zheng <bzh...@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 10:24 AM
To: "devop...@googlegroups.com" <devop...@googlegroups.com>

Jeremy Katz

Jan 29, 2014, 10:40:05 AM1/29/14
to devop...@googlegroups.com
It sounds like we have a lot of people interested.  I'm guessing that people not in Boston don't care about some of the details as we talk through them so I created a separate Google group (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/devopsdays-boston) for us to use

- Jeremy

Dan Belcher

Jan 29, 2014, 11:00:06 AM1/29/14
to devop...@googlegroups.com
While I wait for Jeremy to approve my group application, I'd suggest taking a look at this space: http://afhboston.org/epicenter.php  The vibe is excellent and it's about the right size/layout for devopsdays based on my experience.

Asa Gage

Jan 29, 2014, 10:22:24 PM1/29/14
to devop...@googlegroups.com
I'd also like to volunteer for a Boston event if anyone needs some help.

Jillian Haffner

Feb 25, 2014, 1:54:23 PM2/25/14
to devop...@googlegroups.com
I run Platform Services for WBGames at Turbine in Needham. Part of the Platform Services team is the DevOps group and we would love to help out any way that we can.

Jillian