Python Scripting in Devops

neha r

Sep 6, 2017, 7:34:52 PM9/6/17
to devops
Hi all,

Where can we use python scripting in devops tools and process. Please let me know few of the use cases.

Thanks

Joris De Winne

Sep 8, 2017, 6:34:03 PM9/8/17
to devops
Can you elaborate more on your use cases?
Many tools allow Python scripting, but each tool typically serves a different purpose. What kind of tool are you looking for?

Regards,
Joris

--

---

Zee Alexander

Sep 8, 2017, 7:23:36 PM9/8/17
to dev...@googlegroups.com
And beyond that, python is a general purpose programming tool.

It's a bit like asking "how can I use Ruby for devops". Ruby is a general purpose tool. You can use it for almost anything. It's very helpful with Puppet, although not required, and it's mandatory for Chef. You could also write an application in it completely from scratch to do automation.

The same is true of Python and say Ansible. Or Fabric. Or writing an application/script from scratch in python to do something.

So to repeat Joris' sentiment, if you explain what you're actually trying to do, we can offer you some better answers.

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 4:34 PM neha r <nehara...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

Where can we use python scripting in devops tools and process. Please let me know few of the use cases.

Thanks

--

---

---

Matt Joyce

Sep 8, 2017, 7:25:44 PM9/8/17
to dev...@googlegroups.com
Half joking when I say that I'd make the argument that ruby is malware.  I mean it's not node... But it's pretty damned unsafe.

Zee Alexander

Sep 8, 2017, 8:10:54 PM9/8/17
to dev...@googlegroups.com
:eyeroll:

I hate ruby as much as anybody (I worked at Puppet for 4 years, trust me, you don't hate Ruby more than I do), but I will always eyeroll about those kinds of general and meaningless statements about really any language.

Matt Joyce

Sep 8, 2017, 8:18:50 PM9/8/17
to dev...@googlegroups.com
keep on rolling  this love boat ain't finding port anytime soon.

Don O'Neill

Sep 8, 2017, 8:34:42 PM9/8/17
to dev...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to propose a radical idea.

How about we help the person who's asking for help in a meaningful way -  instead of toxic.

Thanks,
Don

On Sep 8, 2017 7:23 PM, "Zee Alexander" <z...@zee.space> wrote:
[...]

Zee Alexander

Sep 8, 2017, 9:30:55 PM9/8/17
to dev...@googlegroups.com
Our actual responses to Neha were not toxic, and simply explained why the question was unanserable.

---

---

---

---

---

---

Don O'Neill

Sep 8, 2017, 11:07:36 PM9/8/17
to dev...@googlegroups.com

I was doing my best to call this out in a roundabout way. Instead, I'll be more direct. The "half joking about Ruby" comments are toxic - stuff like that has no place here.

Thanks,
Don

---

---

---

---

---

---

---

Zee Alexander

Sep 8, 2017, 11:21:24 PM9/8/17
to dev...@googlegroups.com
Agreed. I humbly accept the rebuke.

Don O'Neill

Sep 9, 2017, 1:43:58 AM9/9/17
to dev...@googlegroups.com
Neha:

It may help us help you more (as previously suggested) if you can tell us more about what you'd like to accomplish. There are a lot of use cases for Python and a lot of workflows.

Recently I've been exploring using Python in AWS Lambda to do instance maintenance notification tasks - see https://github.com/indix/aws-maintenance-lambda as an example.

Are you familiar with ChatOps?  There a quite a few python based ChatOps bots such as http://errbot.io/ that can be setup to enable prescriptive workflows in Slack or Hipchat.

I've found looking for Github "Awesome" guides to be particularly useful in finding existing collections of resources on subjects I'm trying to learn about. Here is a ChatOps example: https://github.com/exAspArk/awesome-chatops and here is a Python example: https://github.com/vinta/awesome-python

Hope this helps you out, feel free to ask more questions - tons of really smart folk here who can help you on your DevOps journey!

Thanks,
Don

Alexey Melezhik

Sep 21, 2017, 12:11:08 PM9/21/17
to devops
Hi neha! I wish to see more python scripts at SparrowHub - https://sparrowhub.org , something you may do by using Python ( or other Pip modules ), your impact would be appreciated

Prakash Parmar

Dec 12, 2018, 11:28:24 AM12/12/18
to devops
Hey Neha,

Python is one of the primary technologies used by teams practicing DevOps. Its flexibility and accessibility make Python a great fit for this job, enabling the whole team to build
web applications, data visualizations, and to improve their workflow with custom utilities. On top of that, Ansible and other popular DevOps tools are written in Python or can be controlled via Python.

This might be helpful for you.

Disclaimer
This email communication (including any attachments) contains information which is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient/s. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this email communication (including any attachments) and hard copies immediately, please preserve its confidentiality and notify the sender. Any unauthorized use or dissemination of this email communication (including any attachments) in any manner whatsoever, in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. This email communication (including any attachments), may not be free of viruses, you should carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment to this e-mail. The sender of this e-mail and Cuelogic Technologies shall not be liable for any damage that you may sustain as a result of viruses, in completeness of this message, a delay in receipt of this message. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Cuelogic Technologies. Cuelogic Technologies will not accept any liability in respect of such content of this email, and the author shall be solely responsible and will be personally liable for any damages or other liability.