Dev ops Real time project

Rajesh J

Jan 22, 2019, 11:37:19 AM1/22/19
to devops
Hi everyone,

Can anyone help me to get any real time devops project to learn and practice

rohan

Jan 30, 2019, 10:49:41 AM1/30/19
to devops
You can create some dummy project and try to automate with Jenkins and docker

Don O'Neill

Jan 30, 2019, 11:21:52 AM1/30/19
to dev...@googlegroups.com
This is precisely what I did recently. I wanted to learn Chef, so I challenged myself to manage some pet virtual machines entirely with Chef as a way of learning Chef.

Another thing you could consider is adopting or starting an Opensource project that you are passionate about.

Thanks,
Don/sntxrr

--

---

David Bitman

Feb 10, 2019, 8:05:40 PM2/10/19
to dev...@googlegroups.com

Rajesh,

Not to be too nit-picky but I think you mean real world and not real time.

This may be a very lengthy process but you have to understand what you have asked.

This is the advice I give anyone who is just starting out in the DevOps world.

First, I would go on a site like Dice and look at the job descriptions of any company that is looking for DevOps anything.   You will soon lean that DevOps is a buzz work being thrown around with very little “actual” definition.   If you go by Adam Jacobs (Founder of OpsCode Chef) definition “A cultural and professional movement, focused on how we build and operate high velocity organizations, born from the experiences of the it's practitioners” or Gene Kim’s (Author of the Phoenix Project) “A philosophical movement, and not yet a precise collection of practices, descriptive or prescriptive” they don’t really mention the “How”.   Look at the job descriptions and find a company that sounds like you would like to work at it.  If it sounds fun, challenging, interesting then look at the requirements and the tools that they are using.  Example some companies use Chef for configuration management and other will use Puppet, ansible, Salt, etc.   Some companies will use Jenkins for build and release while others will use  Travis or something else.  They may use Mesos or Kubernetes, Amazon cloud or Azure or none of these.  They also may be a Linux or Windows shop or both,  They may develop in Java exclusively, or may use Ruby, Rust, Python, Javascript (NodeJS, React, etc), .Net or a mix of these.

Once you get a good understanding of what companies are looking for find out if they are open -sourcing any of their code.  If not I would start looking at GitHub projects and find something that look like it being recently maintained and is more that an Hello world project.   Then start from there.  If you goal is to get some “Real world” experience then start there.

The example below was taken off of dice from a recent post for a DevOps engineer.

Let’s look at what they are asking for.   First, they do mention Jenkins.  This is very common because Jenkins has been around forever and is open-source.  I would highly recommend you at least spend some hours with Jenkins and Pipeline libraries and become very familiar with Git and GitHub or GitLab.   If you don’t already have a Github account then register and put all your work there.   They mention both Kubernetes and Mesosphere, I would only spend your time on one.  Kubernetes has a project called MiniKube that is very helpful if you want to learn Kubernetes, just make sure your system has a lot of memory.   They mention Chef, Puppet, and Ansible, all are configuration management platforms/frameworks.  I would recommend Chef, it is a Ruby DSL that has a very large community and if you learn Chef Puppet is not too difficult to learn.  They also talk about Java, maven and Python. Github has a lot of public projects that you can start using as a “test” project just make sure that it is currently maintained, uses Maven to build and has tests.   EFK(Elasticsearch + Fluentd + Kibana) or ELK (Elasticsearch + Logstash + Kibana) you can find them as docker images but I would take the time to build them at least once.  And the last two HP ALM(Application Life Cycle Management) and Splunk, these are both Proprietary software/tools you will need to learn these on the job so I wouldn’t worry about them much.  Just the above is about 5000 hours of work just to get a good understanding of the technology assuming you have a programming background, a good understand of operating systems (linux and windows) and basic network and cloud technologies.   If you don’t I would start with these prerequisites.

Experience with: Java, Python, Jenkins, Chef, Maven, Puppet, Git, EFK, HP ALM, Docker, Kubernetes, Mesosphere, Ansible, Splunk

Very comfortable with Agile, microservices, test-driven development and continuous delivery methodologies

Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills with experience exercising mature judgment

Proven experience effectively prioritizing workload to meet deadlines and work objectives

Demonstrated ability to write clearly, succinctly, and in a manner that appeals to a wide audience

Preferred: AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional

Now let’s get started.

·      Register your GitHub and Docker.io accounts.

·      Start your LinkedIn profile.

·      Register to blog posts and newsletters like www.devopsweekly.com, foodfightshow.org and book mark https://learn.chef.io

·      Register with AWS and get a micro instance.  This should not cost your anything but will give you the ability to become familiar with the interfaces and the command line tools, and templates.  Be very aware that anything beyond a single micro instance may become very pricey very quickly

Now choose your IDE.  I personally use Atom, MS Code and Sublime depending on what I am doing. Now prepare your lab environment.  I have on my laptop Docker, Vagrant, ChefSDK, MiniKube, VirtualBox, I also have a second box that has Citrix Xen server/VMWare ESX so I can test both configuration management (Chef Recipes) and code delivery to non-docker environments.  This should get you a good platform to start your journey.   Once you get a Java program built, dockerized, unit tested and deployed to your Minkube environment from a Jenkins that is also in your minikube environment, which are sending all of the logs (Jenkins and the Java App) to Elasticsearch using Fluentd, and being displayed in Kibana.  Then I would go the last mile and automate some monitors for your app in Nagos that is also deployed in Minikube.

Good luck and keep learning.