opensource orchestration tool

Tarik Aziz

May 2, 2018, 10:56:06 AM5/2/18
to devops-toolchain
hello folks,
I am looking for an opensource orchestration tool, I see lots of configuration management tools no orchestration tool in general.

Jesse Gonzalez

May 2, 2018, 10:58:48 AM5/2/18
to devops-t...@googlegroups.com
What is your goal?

On Wed, May 2, 2018, 9:56 AM Tarik Aziz <azim....@gmail.com> wrote:
hello folks,
I am looking for an opensource orchestration tool, I see lots of configuration management tools no orchestration tool in general.

Damon Edwards

May 2, 2018, 10:59:52 AM5/2/18
to devops-t...@googlegroups.com
Really depends how you define “orchestration” (it’s a pretty overloaded term) and what your specific need is.

Have you looked at Rundeck?
(Shameless plug on my part)

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 7:56 AM Tarik Aziz <azim....@gmail.com> wrote:
hello folks,
I am looking for an opensource orchestration tool, I see lots of configuration management tools no orchestration tool in general.

Kat McIvor

May 2, 2018, 11:01:13 AM5/2/18
to devops-t...@googlegroups.com
Hah, yes, rundeck works quite well for some bits :)
I've also seen orchestration used in terms of container deployments though - any other details Tarik?

-Kat

On 2 May 2018 at 15:59, Damon Edwards <damone...@gmail.com> wrote:
Really depends how you define “orchestration” (it’s a pretty overloaded term) and what your specific need is.

Have you looked at Rundeck?
(Shameless plug on my part)
On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 7:56 AM Tarik Aziz <azim....@gmail.com> wrote:
hello folks,
I am looking for an opensource orchestration tool, I see lots of configuration management tools no orchestration tool in general.

R.I.Pienaar

May 2, 2018, 11:01:57 AM5/2/18

On Wed, 2 May 2018, at 16:59, Damon Edwards wrote:
> Really depends how you define “orchestration” (it’s a pretty overloaded
> term) and what your specific need is.
>
> Have you looked at Rundeck?
> https://www.rundeck.com/open-source
> (Shameless plug on my part)

Rundeck
Salt https://saltstack.com/
Ansible https://www.ansible.com/
Choria https://choria.io (shameless plug)

There are many with different focus, as mentioned it all depends on your needs

Leo Mata

May 2, 2018, 11:05:46 AM5/2/18
to devops-t...@googlegroups.com
yes all of these are awesome.

if you want something easy to understand to begin with rundeck would probably be a good first step. ansible for something a bit more frameworky but we use a combination of ansible + rundeck.

LEO MATA

Nathaniel Eliot

May 2, 2018, 12:07:09 PM5/2/18
to devops-t...@googlegroups.com
Not sure exactly what you're looking for, but:

https://kubernetes.io/ is sometimes described as a container orchestration system.
https://www.terraform.io/ is a good infrastructure orchestration system.

I've found a combination of the two can obviate the need for configuration management tools.

Cheers,

--
Nathaniel Eliot
T9 Productions

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 9:03 AM, Tarik Aziz <azim....@gmail.com> wrote:
hello folks,
I am looking for an opensource orchestration tool, I see lots of configuration management tools no orchestration tool in general.

Tarik Aziz

Joseph Holsten

May 2, 2018, 1:18:03 PM5/2/18
to devops-t...@googlegroups.com
We’ve discussed a bunch of awesome tools, I’ve used just about all of them in production in one place or another.

Any better answers will require actually understanding your environment. Are you building a new environment from scratch, or adding orchestration to existing services? Are you running your own equipment, using a public cloud, some mix? Do you have existing processes for deployments, service failovers, rebuilding environments like staging? Are you already using tools to solve those problems, esp config management, provisioning, deployment, build servers &c?

Tarik Aziz

May 3, 2018, 2:24:29 AM5/3/18
to devops-t...@googlegroups.com
I am looking for orchestration tool for process automation perspective anyone can send us use case for automation. It could be related to ad, exchange, SharePoint, event remediation etc, not highly focused on cloud or configuration management.

Just for your informationIts an existing setup having mixed assets, from CM side we have ansible, moongsoft for event management.

On May 2, 2018, at 09:07, Nathaniel Eliot <temu...@t9productions.com> wrote:

Not sure exactly what you're looking for, but:

https://kubernetes.io/ is sometimes described as a container orchestration system.
https://www.terraform.io/ is a good infrastructure orchestration system.

I've found a combination of the two can obviate the need for configuration management tools.

Cheers,

--
Nathaniel Eliot
T9 Productions

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 9:03 AM, Tarik Aziz <azim....@gmail.com> wrote:
hello folks,
I am looking for an opensource orchestration tool, I see lots of configuration management tools no orchestration tool in general.

Max Arnold

Jul 6, 2018, 12:14:59 PM7/6/18
to devops-toolchain
Take a look at StackStorm: https://github.com/StackStorm/st2. It is designed for workflow/remediation automation and can work with existing CM tools. Here is a good introduction: https://www.podcastinit.com/episode-53-stackstorm-with-tomaz-muraus-and-patrick-hoolboom/