Dumb website testing tools

Tommy

Oct 7, 2015, 8:53:32 AM10/7/15
to devops-toolchain

Hi all,

I'd like to ask the brain trust on the testing tools that they are using for their ops

What I'm looking for is a way to indicate that the environment is still up, by running a quick smoke testing on the environment, such that:

  1. Automated tools to test some basic logic of a website. Eg: Login, Click here, Click there, Logout
  2. Be able to kick off in an automated fashion
  3. Marrying up the result with a dashboard to indicate if an end-to-end environment is up or not
  4. Simple enough that an ops or dev guys can edit it as needed. For example, Selenium might be a bit too complex. Something we can record, and playback on a browser interaction would be great!

Does such tool exist? What do you guys use for such tool?

Thanks in advance

Tommy

Sri Harsha Yenuganti

Oct 7, 2015, 10:36:28 AM10/7/15
to devops-t...@googlegroups.com
Try this plugin for the browser if you want to create the tests once .. record them and playback anytime.http://www.seleniumhq.org/projects/ide/

Regards,

Sri Harsha Yenuganti.

--
"If you are not brave enough to face a failure, you are unfit for a success"

Clinton Wolfe

Oct 7, 2015, 12:11:05 PM10/7/15
to devops-t...@googlegroups.com
I have seen it done this way:

Jenkins for glue throughout.
Smoke tests embedded in the CM code.  For example, if you are using Chef and Test Kitchen, you get serverspec tests by default.  That gets you the ability to do things like "this port should be listening" and "this service should be running", but not easily the user-experience tests (clicking, etc).

Next, people add such web tests - I like to use Capybara + rspec for simplicity, but Capybara + selenium works better but is more complicated.

Then, setup Jenkins to watch the CM repo, and kickoff a test kitchen full run on whatever cycle you want.  Per-push, hourly, per-merge, whatever you want.

You'll also need some glue to get the test results out of rspec to appear in a sane way in Jenkins.  Bizarrely, you may have to translate them into jUnit report format; I would love to hear better ways.

At that point, you have a system in which a push on the CM repo triggers a build, smoke test with clicky-clicky, results into a format Jenkins can ingest; jenkins will chart the results over time.

It's not something an ops person would be likely to feel OK setting up; may be able to contribute.  But capybara, Jenkins, etc are more developer-space; you'd need a "goat" or a developer; pure-ops person will not be happy.  And it is pretty brittle.  Improvements?

--Clinton

gareth rushgrove

Oct 7, 2015, 12:17:52 PM10/7/15
On 7 October 2015 at 05:53, Tommy <twy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to ask the brain trust on the testing tools that they are using for
> their ops
>
> What I'm looking for is a way to indicate that the environment is still up,
> by running a quick smoke testing on the environment, such that:
>
> Automated tools to test some basic logic of a website. Eg: Login, Click
> here, Click there, Logout
> Be able to kick off in an automated fashion
> Marrying up the result with a dashboard to indicate if an end-to-end
> environment is up or not
> Simple enough that an ops or dev guys can edit it as needed. For example,
> Selenium might be a bit too complex. Something we can record, and playback
> on a browser interaction would be great!

An example of this from my old job, smokey is a set of cucumber based
tests that test the various components of GOV.UK at a very high level.

https://github.com/alphagov/smokey

They we're used both for deployment validation and happily integrate
with the monitoring suite - which addresses the dashboard issue.

Gareth

> Does such tool exist? What do you guys use for such tool?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Tommy
>
> --

Gareth Rushgrove