Puppet online user study - config file manipulations

Bernhard Denner

May 4, 2017, 2:02:15 AM5/4/17
to devops-toolchain
Hello devops community,

As part of my master thesis, I've developed a Puppet module [1]
(puppet-libelektra) to partially modify configuration files of different
formats on a key value basis, similar to "ini_setting" or "augeas". Behind
the scenes I'm using the Elektra configuration library [2].

To evaluate the usability of this module compared to other Puppet file
manipulation methods, I have designed a software experiment.
This experiment consist of 4 different Puppet programming tasks and gives
you a good opportunity to directly compare the usability of Puppet resource
types such as 'file', 'host', 'ini_setting', 'augeas' or 'kdbkey' (the new one)
in different scenarios.

The experiment is designed to allow you a participation from your own
machine (requires Linux with Docker).

All you need to do is: follow the instructions found on

I would be very happy if you participate in this study.
If you need help or have any questions do not hesitate to send me an email.

The results of this study will help us to improve the puppet-libelektra
module.

Thanks,
Bernhard Denner

Nigel Kersten

May 4, 2017, 2:15:20 AM5/4/17
to devops-t...@googlegroups.com
Bernhard, are you working with any of us who work at Puppet on promoting this to get more data?

Happy to help if I can.

Bernhard Denner

May 4, 2017, 2:21:58 AM5/4/17
to devops-t...@googlegroups.com
Partly ;)
I'm in contact with David Schmitt [1], who gave me some feedback on the libelektra module.
Of course it would be very nice if you could help me promoting my user study.

Bernhard Denner

May 4, 2017, 2:32:39 PM5/4/17
to devops-toolchain
I didn't mention an important detail.

The study runs until May 15.
Result we be available on May 22.

Thanks again,
Bernhard Denner

Bernhard Denner

May 14, 2017, 9:04:52 AM5/14/17
to devops-t...@googlegroups.com
Hello community,

== REMINDER ==

The Puppet file manipulation user study is running until tomorrow May 15.
If you want to participate please follow instructions found under https://github.com/BernhardDenner/puppet-userstudy-controller
Experienced Puppet users will do it in about 2h.

Thank you very much.
Bernhard Denner