Determining screen resolution and placing windows accordingly

voit...@gmail.com

Sep 20, 2013, 3:42:35 PM9/20/13
to devil...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I tried to write a shell script using wmctrl to change window sizes according to the currently used screen resolution.

Thus, when I switch to two-monitor-mode (internal TFT of notebook and external TFT as well) all windows should be placed accordingly. When I switch to internal TFT only, they should be placed/arranged different.

I failed with wmctrl because I could not manage to resize any Firefox window (independent of its name; I used class) at once.

Question 1: Is devilspie2 a solution to my requirement? (I just stumbled upon it today)

Question 2: I could not find any hint in the manual on how to get screen resolution for an if-statement. Is this possible?

Thanks!