How many people per month on average?

Jason Grigsby

Jan 14, 2013, 2:32:00 PM1/14/13
to devic...@googlegroups.com
I’ve been talking to a device manufacturer who is interested in device labs and possibly helping with them. They’re curious how much traffic labs are seeing on an average basis.

I told them what we’re seeing in Portland, but we’ve only been open for a little bit. How many visitors are other labs seeing?

-Jason

Shaun Dunne

Jan 15, 2013, 11:55:57 AM1/15/13
to devic...@googlegroups.com
In London it's been pretty quiet too, and again it's located pretty central. There were a few visitors in the beginning, but the last two months of the year were dead as far as I know. It didn't help that Mozilla kind of closed off the space to the public whilst they figured out the official rules to the use of the space - It's still closed at the moment and it's even a pain for me to get access too - so whilst I am grateful for them giving me the space for free, I have considered moving the lab to somewhere more open.

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Roy Tomeij <r...@tomeij.net> wrote:
Close to none, and we're located smack in the middle of a large city (Amsterdam), and the only one in the city too. What I've heard from other Dutch labs is that they're seeing little to no traffic at all (say, once every few months). We've advertised it pretty well too.

How much traffic are you seeing?

--

Message has been deleted

chase courington

Jan 16, 2013, 12:11:34 PM1/16/13
to devic...@googlegroups.com
In Denver, we've had on average 5-8 people per session. Some would just come to see what is going on, I'd say only 2-3 were actually bringing devices to share and had projects regularly to test. With it being a monthly meetup engagement hasn't been too high with only the 2-3 regulars and then each month some different people dropping in.

We're scheduling for a new location, Galvanize, for early Feb 2013. We believe that by holding labs, building and testing, for longer time blocks on weekends and being located in a space that already houses many tech startups (with people working weekends) with small device inventories we'll attract even more regulars to use/contribute to the lab. There has been the start of talk about a permanent, community device lab in this space as well, but for now we're still going with the meetup/crowdsource model.

- Chase

John Nye

Jan 16, 2013, 12:15:48 PM1/16/13
to devic...@googlegroups.com
In Exeter UK we get 2 or 3 a month. However, as its in our office we use it every day. Like Denver, we're moving to a co-working space and taking the lab with us. Hopefully we will get a few more using it during the drop in sessions and other activities.

-John

Andre Jay Meissner

Jan 20, 2013, 5:38:59 PM1/20/13
to devic...@googlegroups.com

"People are just beginning to realise their iPhone isn't enough to do the
job, in wide areas. As per exeter_web's statement of comparably low
frequency to labs usage, I already cheer over the imagination of our
todays conversation timewarped, in September 2013, just a year from now.
Let the idea sink in with people and we might see a different scenario in
a while."

What can ODLs do *more* to help spread the word? One off promo and blog post is one thing (NOT judging you, Roy! ;)). Representing at local meetups to constantly show the flag is one possible other. What else comes to your mind? I would love to hear what you guys have done to promote your lab in specific (besides blog posts), please help me to compile a best practices list for ODL managers around the globe. I would also love to hear what your local stakeholders think you could improve. Wanna run a survey and crowdsource some brainstorming?

*Jay

P.S.: There is something new coming that will hopefully help to promote ODLs ...very soon. :o)=

Andre Jay Meissner

Jan 21, 2013, 5:37:42 AM1/21/13
to devic...@googlegroups.com
You are a cynic.

;oP=

Von: Roy Tomeij <r...@tomeij.net>
Antworten an: "devic...@googlegroups.com" <devic...@googlegroups.com>
Datum: KW 4 | Montag, 21. Januar 2013 11:31
An: "devic...@googlegroups.com" <devic...@googlegroups.com>
Betreff: Re: How many people per month on average?

Thanks Jay ;-)

We have reached out through various channels though, such as user groups, etc. I'm pretty sure the relatively small scale Amsterdam development community has some knowledge about the device lab. I'm starting to believe people just don't care and there's a very, very small community who actually wants to test on a multitude of devices.

Call me a cynic.

Viljami Salminen

Jan 21, 2013, 4:09:20 PM1/21/13
to devic...@googlegroups.com
We've had an average of 0-1 visitor(s) per month, which is very low when compared to the marketing effort I've done for the lab (multiple articles about the lab in local media and online + word of mouth). I also know for certain that people here (and around Finland) know about the lab, but still no one actually visits it.

People talk, but don't really visit.

Roy Tomeij

Jan 21, 2013, 4:14:12 PM1/21/13
to devic...@googlegroups.com
That's pretty much our story as well.

On 21 jan. 2013, at 22:09, Viljami Salminen <m...@viljamis.com> wrote:

We've had an average of 0-1 visitor(s) per month, which is very low when compared to the marketing effort I've done for the lab (multiple articles about the lab in local media and online + word of mouth). I also know for certain that people here (and around Finland) know about the lab, but still no one actually visits it.

People talk, but don't really visit.

Kristin Long

Jan 21, 2013, 4:14:56 PM1/21/13
to devic...@googlegroups.com
We are also having low usage in Oakland - I would love to see more people utilize the resource...

kristin long
510.629.1440 (office)

MIGHTYminnow Web Studio & School
1440 Broadway Suite 711
Oakland, CA 94612

We teach web classes and make websites!
Learn more about our classes and offerings at mightyminnow.com
or read the recent article about us on Oakland Local.