Re: Device Labs business model

John Nye

Jan 16, 2013, 12:52:44 PM1/16/13
to devic...@googlegroups.com
Ours is totally free, unlimited but we do ask for a donation that goes towards getting new devices.

-John

On 16 Jan 2013, at 16:56, Andrea Crevola <andrea....@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi to everyone,

I'm planning to open a device lab in my city (Torino, Italy). I think that this kind of lab is very useful and necessary in modern web / mobile design. I think that, initially, my lab would be free for everyone (or, at least for who have shared a device or give his contribute in some way) in order to have a lot of user. But in the future I would like to ask for a little payment, just to refund some basic expenses.

My question is: how is regulated the access to your device labs? You ask for a fee? Is there a rate for every hour of usage or maybe you adopt another kind of rate? Or is totally free?

Andrea

Shaun Dunne

Jan 16, 2013, 2:15:17 PM1/16/13
to devic...@googlegroups.com
The London one is totally open and free to use by anyone. Most of the devices have been donated and thus cost me nothing but time to put together. Obviously to grow the lab it will cost something but im putting off even considering how to work out how the lab pays for itself until time comes to actually deal with it. Future Shaun can take care of all that.

Steve Barnett

Jan 18, 2013, 3:04:23 AM1/18/13
to devic...@googlegroups.com
Mine is free. The "payment" I ask for is the venue: providing time and space for the actual testing to take place and let anyone who wants to come and test.

I'm also letting Future Me take care of other stuff like expanding the collection.

Steve