Device Profiling

john_nye

Oct 1, 2012, 2:59:52 PM10/1/12
to devic...@googlegroups.com
Before I start writing my own tool, I'd like to know if anyone knows of an existing tool to test the capabilities of devices.

We currently list screen size, OS and browser on our page, but it would be useful to profile devices for SVG support, media queries etc.

Thanks

-John

Jason Grigsby

Oct 1, 2012, 6:45:38 PM10/1/12
to devic...@googlegroups.com
You mean something other than things like modernizr?

--

Jason Grigsby
+1 (503) 290-1090 o

john_nye

Oct 2, 2012, 5:42:20 AM10/2/12
to devic...@googlegroups.com
Not exactly, but looking through the modernizr site I found http://haz.io which is mostly what I need. Listing the newer elements that are supported by the phones helps with debugging.

I can write a simple script to list the physical features of the device. like screen size and viewable area.

Thanks

John

Jason Grigsby

Oct 2, 2012, 12:43:52 PM10/2/12
to devic...@googlegroups.com
Haz.io is basically just a visual representation of modernizr. If you want to catalog the properties, I’d recommend connecting modernizr to browserscope as a quick way to store the properties and get access to them in a spreadsheet or as something you could embed in a site.

If you look at the modernizr code on modernizr’s own site, you’ll see that it passes values to browserscope so you can use that as a starting point. I did something very similar when I was testing TVs.

You can see what I did for TV testing here:
http://userfirstweb.com/tv/modernizr.html

-Jason