January thoughts: Marking the new year

Developing Belief Network

Jan 19, 2022, 3:38:43 PM1/19/22
to Developing Belief Network
[Apologies if this is a duplicate email -- we are having some technical issues!]

Happy 2022!
 Thank you for continuing to be part of the Developing Belief Network Google group. In 2021, interacting with you all was a highlight of a difficult year -- we hope that 2022 ends up being a healthier and more peaceful year for all of you.

On that note -- in many cultural and religious traditions, a new year has recently begun or is about to begin. We would love to hear about how families mark the new year -- whether it be by kissing someone, watching a ball drop, or eating 12 grapes at midnight; or by burying a coin in the yard, wearing a certain color, eating certain foods, giving money or other gifts to family and friends.

Some questions to get a conversation started:
  • What did your family do to mark the new year when you were growing up? What does your family do now?
  • Are these rituals and practices understood to have effects in the new year -- for example, to bring good luck, health, love, or wealth?
  • What rituals and practices are most salient to young children?
  • How do children come to understand the differences between the beginning of a "new calendar year" on January 1, and the other "new years" that might begin weeks or months before or after January 1?
As usual, scholarly, anecdotal, expert, speculative, and personal comments are all welcome here.

All the best,
Kara & the DBN leadership team

The Developing Belief Network
PIs: Rebekah Richert, Ph.D., & Kathleen Corriveau, Ph.D.