September thoughts: Rituals

Developing Belief Network

Sep 21, 2021, 3:57:33 PM9/21/21
to Developing Belief Network
Greetings everyone!

Last week, BBC News published an article called “The surprising power of daily rituals” (see here). Many of the research studies described in the article cite work done by members of this listserv -- well worth a look if you haven't seen it already.

We wanted to take this opportunity to ask for your thoughts and reflections on daily rituals within your own households (past and present):

  1. What are some of the daily rituals within your household -- religious or non-religious? If there are children in the house, how are they involved in these rituals? How has their role changed across development (if at all)? What kinds of questions have they asked about the rituals? What do family members and other community members do to encourage, or discourage, participation in these rituals?
  2. How have your daily rituals changed (if at all) over the past 18-months due to the pandemic and covid? Are there any new rituals you and your family have started doing as a result of the pandemic? Are there any rituals that you and your family have not been able to do as a result of the pandemic?
As always, we welcome your thoughts and encourage both scholarly and anecdotal discussions!

Chag Sameach to anyone celebrating,
The DBN core leadership team