🚨Notice of Updates to the Data in Blue Button 2.0 API V2 🚨

Kirsten Hansen

Sep 16, 2022, 9:50:27 AM9/16/22
to Developer Group for CMS Blue Button API

Hello Blue Button 2.0 Community,

The Blue Button 2.0 API team would like to share the following updates made by our upstream data partners as of Thursday, 1 September 2022. These are updates to the data in an effort to continuously work toward CARIN compliance.

(1) CARIN conformant Diagnosis Codes were added to the Diagnosis Coding list element in Blue Button 2.0 API V2

(2) CARIN conformant Procedure Codes were added in the Procedure Coding list element in Blue Button 2.0 API V2

Codings (of a diagnosis or a procedure) are list elements, meaning there can be more than one coding. To work towards CARIN conformance, we added a second coding to the list. The original coding is still there in an effort to reduce breaking changes for customers.

Please note that ICD version indicators are not expected to change frequently, as it would be dictated by industry modifications such as but not limited to the country moving to ICD-11 or updates to the CARIN Implementation Guide.

The data is updated in all Blue Button 2.0 API requests as of the aforementioned release date. In order to receive these updates, Blue Button 2.0 API customers are encouraged not to use the _since parameter for the next request to ensure all of the historical data is updated with these additions.

We are focused on re-evaluating and refining how we announce various types of announcements, so that customers can better plan or anticipate behavior change(s).

Thank you for your continued support of the API!

The Blue Button 2.0 API Team

Kirsten Hansen

Product Manager, Blue Button 2.0 API